Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Fininishing off a most enjoyable Strauss-a-thon!  8)

Aus Italien,  Op. 16
Macbeth, Op. 23

Don Quixote, Op. 35

Paul Tortelier, cello
Max Rostal, viola

Dance Suite from harpsichord pieces by Couperin

Kempe, conducting
Staatskapelle Dresden

EMI Classics

*Particularly enthralled with Aus Italien, a piece I wasn't really into before, and I've always loved the Couperin Dance Suite, especially the exquisite Carillon:)

[asin]B000026D4K[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Strauss-a-thons are the best! You go Ray!  8)
Plus you can't go wrong with the Kempe set.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2013, 05:05:26 AM

That was 15 works in a row!  :D

Highly enjoyable, and the best 're-discovery' of sorts that made me go "Wow, this is really, really good", was the Panathenäenzug, for piano (left hand) and orchestra, Op. 74 (in the form of a passacaglia).

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2013, 05:05:26 AM

I see John (MI) participated quite a bit in this thread, so at one point he did enjoy Richard Strauss' music.  :D

Brahmsian

With Richard Strauss' music, I find that this is where I am at my most Anacondian;D

I can go for several months of not listening to his music, but when I do, it is usually a massive gorge and binge festspiel!

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 05:12:33 AM
That was 15 works in a row!  :D

Take it easy, Ray! ;D Now for a shocker :o: I listened to the Oboe Concerto from the Kempe set last night. I didn't hate it, but I can't say I liked it. Nevertheless, I'm glad I gave it a fresh listen.

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 05:13:29 AM
I see John (MI) participated quite a bit in this thread, so at one point he did enjoy Richard Strauss' music.  :D

Yeah, Strauss' music isn't enough like Schnittke for John to like it anymore! ;)

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on November 03, 2013, 05:54:32 AM
Take it easy, Ray! ;D Now for a shocker :o: I listened to the Oboe Concerto from the Kempe set last night. I didn't hate it, but I can't say I liked it. Nevertheless, I'm glad I gave it a fresh listen.

I'm done for awhile.  :D  Anyways Kyle, good that you checked out the Oboe Concerto.

Have you heard the Panathenäenzug, for piano (left hand) and orchestra, Op. 74 (in the form of a passacaglia)? 

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 05:13:29 AM

We've come to accept John and his flip-flopping of composers. For example Delius and Strauss. He'll warm up to Strauss again.  8)  :)

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 05:56:56 AM
I'm done for awhile.  :D  Anyways Kyle, good that you checked out the Oboe Concerto.

Have you heard the Panathenäenzug, for piano (left hand) and orchestra, Op. 74 (in the form of a passacaglia)?

Yes, I have, but it's been a couple years! I intend to listen to it in the near future. I'm (slowly) going to make my way through the Kempe set over the next couple weeks. :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: kyjo on November 03, 2013, 05:54:32 AM

Kyjo, even if you slightly enjoyed parts of the oboe concerto, then give a good listen to the Duett-Concertino for Clarinet and Bassoon, a magical work. A piece composed late in Strauss' life around Metamorphoson and Four Last Songs.

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2013, 05:57:52 AM
We've come to accept John and his flip-flopping of composers. For example Delius and Strauss. He'll warm up to Strauss again.  8)  :)

I wouldn't put anything past John! ;)

His flip-flopping with Delius was much more extreme than with Strauss. Go check out some of his posts in the Delius thread and you'll see what I mean! ;D Speaking of Delius, I haven't been able to get his Florida Suite out of my head lately......

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2013, 06:00:25 AM
Kyjo, even if you slightly enjoyed parts of the oboe concerto, then give a good listen to the Duett-Concertino for Clarinet and Bassoon, a magical work. A piece composed late in Strauss' life around Metamorphoson and Four Last Songs.

Thanks for the tip, Greg! I'll put it on my to-listen list. :) BTW in case I haven't mentioned it before, I do like Burleske. A fun work!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 05:56:56 AM

I love that work, Ray, alongside the Burleske.
The Panathenäenzug is truly special if you're a fan of Sinfonia Domestica since they share many musical themes.

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on November 03, 2013, 05:59:21 AM
Yes, I have, but it's been a couple years! I intend to listen to it in the near future. I'm (slowly) going to make my way through the Kempe set over the next couple weeks. :)

Kyle, it made a big impression on me, and it includes a passacaglia.  :) :D

In my mind, it may now be my favourite of Strauss' piano and orchestra works.

Definitely check it out on your next dip into the Kempe set.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2013, 06:05:03 AM
I love that work, Ray, alongside the Burleske.
The Panathenäenzug is truly special if you're a fan of Sinfonia Domestica since they share many musical themes.

Hmm, Greg.  I thought it was Parergon that was the piano and orchestra piece that shared musical themes with Sinfonia Domestica?  ???

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 06:07:21 AM
Kyle, it made a big impression on me, and it includes a passacaglia.  :) :D

Passacaglias rock! 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2013, 06:08:37 AM
Hmm, Greg.  I thought it was Parergon that was the piano and orchestra piece that shared musical themes with Sinfonia Domestica?  ???

I stand corrected. I was getting overly excited talking about Strauss, and reading on my tiny phone screen didn't help, I saw the "P" and flew with it!  ;D
Thanks, Ray.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2013, 06:14:24 AM
I stand corrected. I was getting overly excited talking about Strauss, and reading on my tiny phone screen didn't help, I saw the "P" and flew with it!  ;D
Thanks, Ray.

No worries!  Parergon is a great piece as well.  And, I've always loved the Burleske.

Hiker

I'm getting to know Mondscheinmusik from Capriccio. It's been fun to compile a Spotify playlist and rattle off different recordings one after the other. The Sextet from the same work is looming...