Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Hat tip to Ray, listened to Panathenaenzug (from the Kempe set) tonight. Not bad at all! Certainly not a very deep work but indeed rather enjoyable. I particularly liked the magical middle section.

I'll be sure to listen to the Duett-Concertino, recommended by Greg, tomorrow! :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on November 04, 2013, 06:17:51 PM
Hat tip to Ray, listened to Panathenaenzug (from the Kempe set) tonight. Not bad at all! Certainly not a very deep work but indeed rather enjoyable. I particularly liked the magical middle section.

I'll be sure to listen to the Duett-Concertino, recommended by Greg, tomorrow! :)

Excellent, Kyle!  :)  Glad you listened to it, and hope you'll also enjoy the Duett-Concertino!

kyjo

Listened last night to the Duett-Concertino (hat tip to Monkey Greg). The opening of the first movement is quite haunting and magical, but the rest of the movement didn't grab me as much. The second movement has a similarly magical opening (softly strumming harp over a floating bassoon solo). The finale does go on for a bit, but it's quite enjoyable and vivacious.

I'll be re-listening to the tone poems next. I've been concentrating on the concertante works lately, which have revealed to me a different side to what I have been considering a rather "bloated" composer.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: kyjo on November 06, 2013, 11:16:03 AM
Listened last night to the Duett-Concertino (hat tip to Monkey Greg). The opening of the first movement is quite haunting and magical, but the rest of the movement didn't grab me as much. The second movement has a similarly magical opening (softly strumming harp over a floating bassoon solo). The finale does go on for a bit, but it's quite enjoyable and vivacious.

I'll be re-listening to the tone poems next. I've been concentrating on the concertante works lately, which have revealed to me a different side to what I have been considering a rather "bloated" composer.

You're bringing a tear of joy to this monkey's eye.   :)

kyjo

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on November 06, 2013, 11:16:03 AM

+1 Kyle!  :) If you are going through the tone poems, keep us posted on what you are listening to.

A previous work that I found a bit dull in the past, except for last week's listen, was the early tone poem 'Aus Italien'.  It sounded pretty damn good.

And I've always been a big fan of Strauss' Violin Concerto.  A more youthful work, but to me, a wonderful Romantic violin concerto.

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 06, 2013, 11:52:03 AM
+1 Kyle!  :) If you are going through the tone poems, keep us posted on what you are listening to.

A previous work that I found a bit dull in the past, except for last week's listen, was the early tone poem 'Aus Italien'.  It sounded pretty damn good.

And I've always been a big fan of Strauss' Violin Concerto.  A more youthful work, but to me, a wonderful Romantic violin concerto.

Thanks, Ray! I'll be sure to keep you guys posted! :)

cilgwyn

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 02, 2013, 06:47:05 AM
Saturday Strauss-a-thon!  8)

Currently:

Horn Concerto No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 11
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E flat major

Peter Damm, horn

Oboe Concerto in D major

Manfred Clement, oboe

Duett-Concertino for clarinet, bassoon and strings

Manfred Weise, clarinet
Wolfgang Liebscher, bassoon

Kempe, conducting
Staatskapelle Dresden

EMI Classics

[asin]B000026D4K[/asin]
This sounds right up my street! :) I don't know the 'Duett-Concertino' so I've ordered a copy of the Kempe,coupled with the Horn Concertos,which I actually don't have in my collection at the moment! ???

(I love the 'Burleske' too).

cilgwyn

...and the 'Oboe Concerto',which I also don't know! :o

kyjo

Nice to see you posting some more here, cilgwyn! What are your favorite Strauss works?

kyjo

Just picked this up for a dirt cheap $4 at Half-Price Books:

[asin]B00000632L[/asin]

It got all 5-star reviews on Amazon, so I thought what the heck, I'll get it! Anyone familiar with it?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: kyjo on November 06, 2013, 03:55:30 PM

[asin]B00000632L[/asin]

It got all 5-star reviews on Amazon, so I thought what the heck, I'll get it! Anyone familiar with it?

A Domestica to rival the best right there. Good collection, Kyjo.

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 06, 2013, 04:33:47 PM
A Domestica to rival the best right there. Good collection, Kyjo.

Excellent, Greg! Symphonia Domestica is a work I'm not too familiar with, so it's good to hear I picked one of best recordings of it! BTW you can call me Kyle. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 06, 2013, 03:55:30 PM

[asin]B00000632L[/asin]

So let me get this straight: you don't like Strauss' music and have proclaimed many times this fact, but you're buying recordings of his music? And you say I'm the one who confuses you?!?!? ;) ;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: kyjo on November 06, 2013, 04:42:13 PM
Excellent, Greg! Symphonia Domestica is a work I'm not too familiar with, so it's good to hear I picked one of best recordings of it! BTW you can call me Kyle. :)

Oooh, yes, Domestica. Entertaining work that gets maligned here and there but it's a work I've always enjoyed. My fave is Sawallisch's live Philadelphia (and so sumptuously recorded):

[asin]B000002RUG[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2013, 06:06:19 PM
So let me get this straight: you don't like Strauss' music and have proclaimed many times this fact, but you're buying recordings of his music? And you say I'm the one who confuses you?!?!? ;) ;D
You'll be buying Holbrooke cds next,kyjo! ??? ;D And that won't take long! But even I'll admit,Strauss is allot better than the cockney pretender!
Yes,the 'Sinfonia Domestica' gets allot of flak;but so do other unfairly maligned works,like Holst's 'Choral Symphony',VWs eighth and ninth symphonies and Elgar's 'The Music Makers',which I prefer to Gerontius. Oh,and anything by Roy Harris other than No 3 (and maybe they've got a point? :-\) And going back to the big man himself;the 'Alpine Symphony' ("all downhill once you get to the top";I can't remember the exact quote & who said it?) and 'Arabella' gets a few knocks,as do some of his later operas (allot!). Still,when you compose music portraying everyday household events you're asking for it really,aren't you. A bit like if I composed a 'Shopping Symphony,with movements subtitled,'Interlude in the Tesco coffee shop' and,well you get my drift......I hope?!

I'm going to go with Ormandy on this one,because I like his Respighi and he got me liking the Rachmaninov symphonies again;although no thanks to Sony for the annoying side break between cd 1 and 2,bang in the middle of the Second Symphony! >:( Why do cd companies do this? I know it's cheaper,but I'd rather pay a bit more for an uninterrupted symphony! (Oh well,just make a cdr!!)
Also (getting back on topic) the Ormandy 'Sinfonia Domestica' is cheap;and you get those 'famous' strings! Not sure if I can listen to 'Tod und Verklarung' since my mum died. I found that theme very moving and poignant,even before she died. In fact I remember listening to it with her and warning her about that colossal thwack near the beginning. I didn't want any dead bodies closer to home! :( I was playing the Telarc/Previn recording,by the way.
And no,it wasn't the Strauss that killed her ;D :(!

Oooh,it must be nice owning that Kempe box set!

cilgwyn

Of course,it's Szell conducting the main items on the cd. Silly me,but I had things to do! ::) Anyway,Szell conducting Strauss,could be interesting. Clinical,precise,a dry acoustic;forget sumptuousness!! Maybe he's the right man to reign in Straussian excess?
But maybe,that's what Richard Strauss is all about? In a good way,of course! ;D

I've now edited these three posts into a more concise & polite two.

NB: I see Classical.Net raves about this recording!

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

Right back atcha! ;D I was wrong when I said I hate Strauss' music. That is not the case. I doubt he'll ever be a favorite of mine, but I'm giving him another chance. :)

kyjo

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 07, 2013, 05:42:10 AM
You'll be buying Holbrooke cds next,kyjo! ??? ;D And that won't take long! But even I'll admit,Strauss is allot better than the cockney pretender!
Yes,the 'Sinfonia Domestica' gets allot of flak;but so do other unfairly maligned works,like Holst's 'Choral Symphony',VWs eighth and ninth symphonies and Elgar's 'The Music Makers',which I prefer to Gerontius. Oh,and anything by Roy Harris other than No 3 (and maybe they've got a point? :-\) And going back to the big man himself;the 'Alpine Symphony' ("all downhill once you get to the top";I can't remember the exact quote & who said it?) and 'Arabella' gets a few knocks,as do some of his later operas (allot!). Still,when you compose music portraying everyday household events you're asking for it really,aren't you. A bit like if I composed a 'Shopping Symphony,with movements subtitled,'Interlude in the Tesco coffee shop' and,well you get my drift......I hope?!

I'm going to go with Ormandy on this one,because I like his Respighi and he got me liking the Rachmaninov symphonies again;although no thanks to Sony for the annoying side break between cd 1 and 2,bang in the middle of the Second Symphony! >:( Why do cd companies do this? I know it's cheaper,but I'd rather pay a bit more for an uninterrupted symphony! (Oh well,just make a cdr!!)
Also (getting back on topic) the Ormandy 'Sinfonia Domestica' is cheap;and you get those 'famous' strings! Not sure if I can listen to 'Tod und Verklarung' since my mum died. I found that theme very moving and poignant,even before she died. In fact I remember listening to it with her and warning her about that colossal thwack near the beginning. I didn't want any dead bodies closer to home! :( I was playing the Telarc/Previn recording,by the way.
And no,it wasn't the Strauss that killed her ;D :(!

Oooh,it must be nice owning that Kempe box set!

Oh, I already have all of the Holbrooke CDs released to date (expect the series of his piano works on Cameo Classics)! ;D Believe it or not, my favorite work of his is the much-maligned PC 1, which appeals to me in its Lisztian/Rachmaninoffian gusto! It's often regarded as uncharacteristic, immature Holbrooke, but I like it, so who cares! :P

I agree with you about VW's Symphonies 8 and 9 being rather "maligned". I think the Eighth is a colorful, kaleidoscopic work and the Ninth is an enigmatic work of considerable visionary power. Popular as they are, I feel Rachmaninov's PC 2 and Symphony 2 are unfairly maligned by some.

kyjo

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 06, 2013, 07:02:00 PM
Oooh, yes, Domestica. Entertaining work that gets maligned here and there but it's a work I've always enjoyed. My fave is Sawallisch's live Philadelphia (and so sumptuously recorded):

[asin]B000002RUG[/asin]

That recording looks interesting, especially for the Festliches Praeludium, a noble work which rises up to a grand climax. I only know it in its incarnation for brass and organ.