Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
That recording looks interesting, especially for the Festliches Praeludium, a noble work which rises up to a grand climax. I only know it in its incarnation for brass and organ.

Yes, the Festliches Praeludium is a stunner of a little piece. It's heart is big, for sure. And the impact of the audio here has to be heard to be believed. The depth and bloom are enormous. The organ shakes the floor. Talk about the perfect piece to give someone's big-rig hi-fi a workout!

(It was recorded live at Suntory Hall, Tokyo)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

bhodges

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 07, 2013, 01:19:44 PM
Yes, the Festliches Praeludium is a stunner of a little piece. It's heart is big, for sure. And the impact of the audio here has to be heard to be believed. The depth and bloom are enormous. The organ shakes the floor. Talk about the perfect piece to give someone's big-rig hi-fi a workout!

(It was recorded live at Suntory Hall, Tokyo)

Totally agree with these comments. I bought the CD just as a fan of Sawallisch and Philadelphia in general (and Strauss, of course) but that piece was the biggest surprise. (Had never heard it.) Then I found a recording of it with Bernstein and the NY Phil - which is good, but this one is much better - and then heard it live with Salonen and LA in Disney Hall when they dedicated the hall's new organ. Needless to say, if you ever get the chance to hear it live, in a hall with a great organ, do NOT hesitate.

And you're totally right about the sound quality, which is exceptional, especially given that it's a live recording. Makes me want to get to Suntory Hall someday!

--Bruce

kyjo

Yep, any big orchestral work with an important organ part is a sheer spectacle to see live!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brewski on November 07, 2013, 01:25:51 PM
Totally agree with these comments. I bought the CD just as a fan of Sawallisch and Philadelphia in general (and Strauss, of course) but that piece was the biggest surprise. (Had never heard it.) Then I found a recording of it with Bernstein and the NY Phil - which is good, but this one is much better - and then heard it live with Salonen and LA in Disney Hall when they dedicated the hall's new organ. Needless to say, if you ever get the chance to hear it live, in a hall with a great organ, do NOT hesitate.

And you're totally right about the sound quality, which is exceptional, especially given that it's a live recording. Makes me want to get to Suntory Hall someday!

--Bruce

A live experience would no doubt be awesome!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on November 07, 2013, 01:38:24 PM
It is hard to imagine Karl Bohm's performance of the Festliches Praeludium being topped, but a recording in modern sound would be interesting.  The piece puts great demands on the brass (particularly the trumpets), and the fact that Bohm seems to keep them at the very edge of their capability in the big creshendo gives his performance a certain excitement.

The Sawallisch has the benefit of being live and while not a guarantee of success in this instance the performance has a palpable sense of occasion. It's cheap used on Amazon.

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
That recording looks interesting, especially for the Festliches Praeludium, a noble work which rises up to a grand climax. I only know it in its incarnation for brass and organ.

Hmm, that is a piece I am not familiar with and have yet to hear.  Sounds like a great one!  :)

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 07, 2013, 02:57:03 PM
Hmm, that is a piece I am not familiar with and have yet to hear.  Sounds like a great one!  :)

Yeah, you'd really like it, Ray! At present, it is probably my favorite Strauss work.

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
Yeah, you'd really like it, Ray! At present, it is probably my favorite Strauss work.

Well, I will definitely have to check it out, Kyle!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 09:24:28 AM
Right back atcha! ;D I was wrong when I said I hate Strauss' music. That is not the case. I doubt he'll ever be a favorite of mine, but I'm giving him another chance. :)

Well, as long as you like the music, that's all that matters in the end. Now, if you'll excuse me some Ligeti awaits me. :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2013, 05:21:56 PM
Well, as long as you like the music, that's all that matters in the end. Now, if you'll excuse me some Ligeti awaits me. :)

:)

kyjo

Listened to Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche from the Kempe set just now. The performance is on the quicker side, which benefits this sprightly, vivacious work. I like it! :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 07:00:24 PM
Listened to Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche from the Kempe set just now. The performance is on the quicker side, which benefits this sprightly, vivacious work. I like it! :)

Next try Don Quixote. I listened to it earlier and wrote about it in the WAYLT thread:

If this piece were a bumper-sticker it'd read: "I brake for Schoenberg's modernism". Edit out the lyric bits and that's exactly what it'd be!

Great work.

kyjo

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 07, 2013, 07:15:38 PM
Next try Don Quixote. I listened to it earlier and wrote about it in the WAYLT thread:

If this piece were a bumper-sticker it'd read: "I brake for Schoenberg's modernism". Edit out the lyric bits and that's exactly what it'd be!

Great work.

:laugh:

Thanks for the rec!

Brahmsian

That is a really fun piece!  Kyle, I smell an avatar change in the near future!  :D

Lisztianwagner

How great you're starting to appreciate Strauss'music, Kyle; Till Eulenspiegels is certainly a marvelous tone poem! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

cilgwyn

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 08, 2013, 03:36:25 AM
How great you're starting to appreciate Strauss'music, Kyle; Till Eulenspiegels is certainly a marvelous tone poem! :)
A quick spin around,a puff of smoke and he turns into a Straussian!

Holy mackerel!! ??? :o ;D At this rate I'll turn into Lajtha Man! Well,we'll see....?!! ;)

Meanwhile I'll be listening to my bargain basement Sony cd of Szell conducting Strauss and wallowing in those super dry CBS acoustics! ;D All I'll need is a brillo pad & a bar of soap! (The Kempe concerto disc is in the post! That should cheer me up!)

kyjo

Looks what happens when I come to appreciate Strauss' music more? I get showered with compliments! ;D

But seriously, thanks for the kind words! My changes of heart about music aren't nearly as extreme as you-know-who's, though! ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 08, 2013, 07:05:58 AM
Looks what happens when I come to appreciate Strauss' music more? I get showered with compliments! ;D

But seriously, thanks for the kind words! My changes of heart about music aren't nearly as extreme as you-know-who's, though! ;)

Well from saying you, to paraphrase, remain indifferent about R. Strauss and then turning right around to praising his music is very extreme to me, Kyle. But, the fact that you're capable of change, reveals an openness about your listening, which, in the end, benefits you instead of hindering you.

Octave

It is pretty clear to me that the answer is 'yes', but I wanted to make double-sure that the Arts Music label 9-disc chamber music series was reissued in its entirety in this Brilliant box:

Richard Strauss: COMPLETE CHAMBER MUSIC (Brilliant, 9cd)
ASIN: B004W5MNPE

which was, in turn, completely included in Brilliant's big Strauss box:

[asin]B006546EPA[/asin]
Richard Strauss: EDITION (Brilliant, 36cd)

I was weighing the pro/con of getting one or the other.  The only thing making me hesitate is already owning the orchestral discs (Kempe), Sinopoli's ARIADNE AUF NAXOS, and the Karajan ROSENKAVALIER. 
But that's neither here nor there; I just wanted to make sure there weren't omissions or substitutions among the Arts chamber music recordings.  I know almost no chamber music by Strauss.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Quoted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 12:07:24 PM

And I bought this for myself:

If Kyle can reconsider this man's music so can I! Of course, as a result of buying this massive set, I'll have to figure out what performances I already own in the set and sell those off.

What do you Straussians make of this set? Anyone own it here?

I'm pretty excited about this set even though I already have the Kempe recordings in the set.