Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 19, 2013, 06:04:05 AM
I actually find this a stunning statement. Except for a few people on this forum, I don't anyone who doesn't admire or at least respect the works of Richard Strauss.

+ 1

The readiness of the anti-Strauss noise here on GMG notwithstanding, his place among the greats has never been a question, and I scarcely find a soul who does not like at least a couple of his pieces. (I'm sure the Sarge has tried more than a few on Mrs Rock, with no apparent avail)  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 19, 2013, 06:09:56 AM
Drool....

The cast was almost identical to his recording...including Birgit Nilsson. Drool indeed.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2013, 06:08:04 AM
Dutchman is fun, and partly because of the transparency of the influences.

Not just Weber. I heard Marschner's Der Vampyr recently for the first time. The influence on Holländer is very obvious.

Sarge

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 19, 2013, 06:05:25 AM
She likes Fliegende Holländer (because it's closer to Weber than later Wagnerian music drama) but I can't think of a single work by Strauss she likes.

Sarge

Here's the cure for that, Sarge, put this on, turn the volume to 11, and watch the transformation to Strauss-fandom begin....(I get chills when I hear this Bass Trombone)

https://www.youtube.com/v/xK7z2NhUrsQ

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 19, 2013, 06:15:57 AM
Not just Weber. I heard Marschner's Der Vampyr recently for the first time. The influence on Holländer is very obvious.

Sarge

Indeed, dear chap. I pluralized influence for a reason  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 19, 2013, 06:16:18 AM
Here's the cure for that, Sarge, put this on, turn the volume to 11, and watch the transformation to Strauss-fandom begin....(I get chills when I hear this Bass Trombone)

https://www.youtube.com/v/xK7z2NhUrsQ
The first time I heard this piece was live with Mehta conducting the NYPO (when he was head of the orchestra). I wasn't excited to go, because I disliked Mehta (and I knew nothing about the piece). But that concert was one of the most memorable in my life. Not only did they play the heck out of it, but the time seemed to pass so quickly. I was as enthralled as I have ever been at a concert.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2013, 06:17:26 AM
Indeed, dear chap. I pluralized influence for a reason  :)

I missed the s. Old eyes  :D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 19, 2013, 06:16:18 AM

She heard the Staatskapelle Dresden play it. They didn't convince her...and if Dresden (Strauss's own) can't win her over, I doubt any band can  :D

Sarge

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 19, 2013, 06:21:49 AM
The first time I heard this piece was live with Mehta conducting the NYPO (when he was head of the orchestra). I wasn't excited to go, because I disliked Mehta (and I knew nothing about the piece). But that concert was one of the most memorable in my life. Not only did they play the heck out of it, but the time seemed to pass so quickly. I was as enthralled as I have ever been at a concert.

Very cool, Neal!
Mehta has some good Strauss recordings out there, including an Ein Heldenleben with NYP on Sony that's excellent.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 19, 2013, 06:25:58 AM
She heard the Staatskapelle Dresden play it. They didn't convince her...and if Dresden (Strauss's own) can't win her over, I doubt any band can  :D

Sarge

And I take it neither the Vier letzte Lieder nor the Metamorphosen have won her over?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2013, 06:28:41 AM
And I take it neither the Vier letzte Lieder nor the Metamorphosen have won her over?

No, they haven't. She simply dislikes his style...in fact, she appreciates very little Late Romantic music that's been influenced by Wagner. If we were living in 1880, she'd be in the Brahms camp.

Sarge

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 19, 2013, 06:34:29 AM
No, they haven't. She simply dislikes his style...in fact, she appreciates very little Late Romantic music that's been influenced by Wagner. If we were living in 1880, she'd be in the Brahms camp.

Is Mrs. Rock an opera fan? Could selling her on "modernist" Strauss such as Elektra make a difference? (That's assuming she likes modernist music).
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kyjo

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2013, 04:41:12 AM
I still see Strauss there, so I am guessing you're doing all right.

I haven't listened to any Strauss since last night! Be patient! :D Tonight will be the night of judgement. >:D

kyjo

Quote from: Trout on November 18, 2013, 10:10:09 PM
Ein Heldenleben seems to get a bad rap as people tend to think of it as a bombastic Strauss work. But I think people miss the humor in the work- that the work is mocking the over-the-top Romantic heroism and is full of jokes and ironic drama. I can understand humor being difficult to convey in music, but it is one of the funnest pieces to listen to, for me.

Yes, you make a good point. I'm just not overly fond of humor in music, except when incorporated by Shostakovich (well, he utilizes irony, strictly speaking).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 19, 2013, 08:30:19 AM
Is Mrs. Rock an opera fan? Could selling her on "modernist" Strauss such as Elektra make a difference? (That's assuming she likes modernist music).

Yes, she's an opera fan: Baroque (Handel, Rameau), Romantic opera (Weber, Verdi, Dvorak), Puccini. She's seen Salome in the theater. Did not impress her. She's never shown an interest when I've played Elektra.

Sarge

Lisztianwagner

To pay homage to Richard Strauss, for his 150th anniversary, the Wiener Philharmoniker has included Mondscheinmusik in the programme of the next Neujahrskonzert. It was an incredible surprise, I would have bet on the waltzes of Der Rosenkavalier, since the concert is dedicated to the viennese waltz. I'm really looking forward to seeing that performance, Mondscheinmusik is an absolutely powerful, passionate work!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

TheGSMoeller

An interesting article from The Guardian concerning Richard Strauss and his legacy. Could certainly lead to a debate here on GMG that we've had before.

Click here. Yes, here. Don't be afraid.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mark ElderFrom a conductor's point of view, his scores are brilliantly conceived. The challenge is getting an orchestra to do exactly what he writes in them: but if they do, his music – no matter how dense or rich or complex – just works.

Sounds like genius to me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Steven Isserlis. . . a bath of Mozart . . . .

Now that is one of the least seemly metaphors I've heard any professional musician use.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA