Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on July 15, 2014, 04:52:57 AM
I listened to that Blomstedt recording on YT already last week, inspired by some earlier part of this series, and relistened to it today. A great piece, for sure. My appreciation of Strauss's music has grown immensely during the past week. :)

Great, Karlo! Keep listening!  8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 15, 2014, 03:37:56 AM
*pounds the table*

:)  My favourite Strauss work!

You have broken a good number of tables in here, my friend.  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2014, 05:24:09 AM
You have broken a good number of tables in here, my friend.  ;D

Indeed!  A few tables over Kyle and John's (MI) heads too.  :laugh:

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 15, 2014, 05:27:37 AM
Indeed!  A few tables over Kyle and John's (MI) heads too.  :laugh:
Hey! I feel left out.  ;)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2014, 08:33:33 AM
Hey! I feel left out.  ;)

Well, that is because you haven't completely poo-pooed Strauss' music.  Only the Alpine Symphony.  :D

Worse, Kyle and John (MI) would start liking his music for 1/2 an hour, then completely reverted to 'I can't stand this man's music'.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 15, 2014, 08:36:11 AM
Well, that is because you haven't completely poo-pooed Strauss' music.  Only the Alpine Symphony.  :D

Worse, Kyle and John (MI) would start liking his music for 1/2 an hour, then completely reverted to 'I can't stand this man's music'.  ;D
Ahh, OK. I love a lot of Strauss, I just like the big tone poems a lot less than I did when I was *ahem* the Monkey's age  :D
The one I really dislike but always have even when I was a Strauss head is Domestica.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2014, 08:42:22 AM
Ahh, OK. I love a lot of Strauss, I just like the big tone poems a lot less than I did when I was *ahem* the Monkey's age  :D
The one I really dislike but always have even when I was a Strauss head is Domestica.

I detested this one, originally.  It has grown on me though.  I like it now.  :)

Ken B

I thought Kermit was gong to pick Alpen as #1. So that prediction failed. He has already (and IMO wrongly) split FLS into bits. So what will be his #1? My new revised updated and revamped prediction is Metamorphosen. Like all predictions this one will be quietly forgotten if it proves wrong.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2014, 08:48:58 AM
I thought Kermit was gong to pick Alpen as #1. So that prediction failed. He has already (and IMO wrongly) split FLS into bits. So what will be his #1? My new revised updated and revamped prediction is Metamorphosen. Like all predictions this one will be quietly forgotten if it proves wrong.

I hope it is Salome:)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2014, 08:42:22 AM

Even though I seem to enjoy it more than you, it will not make my top 10.  :) 

I thought Kermit was gong to pick Alpen as #1. So that prediction failed. He has already (and IMO wrongly) split FLS into bits. So what will be his #1?

I'm not numbering them in order of favorite really, I did start out with the Stimmungsbilder as no. 10, which it would have been, but then changed it to 1 for the purpose of having an equal list of ten pieces. I will more than likely explain which one, or several are my favorites after I reach the last one. It's really difficult for me to rank them from 10 to 1, the bottom 5 or 6 could really be in any order and I would fine with it.

My new revised updated and revamped prediction is Metamorphosen.

You're like that guy who keeps talking during the movie trying to spoil the end for everyone!  :o  ;D  ;D

kishnevi

It may not be the Frog's favorite Strauss work but it certainly is mine.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 14, 2014, 09:18:37 PM

I have the Blomstedt, along with Haitink's:

[asin]B00000E34B[/asin]

Haitink's is also in astonishing sound. But so far I'm not as smitten by Alpine as others. :( 

Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/v/xK7z2NhUrsQ

However, watching this Bychkov snippet (thanks, GS) reminded me that Bychkov recorded Alpine commercially. Definitely want to investigate. Anyone heard it?

[asin]B002QEXC9O[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

TheGSMoeller

10 Days, 10 Works - of Richard Strauss

9. Die Frau ohne Schatten, "The Woman without a Shadow" (premiered in 1919)

This is the most recent addition to my top ten from Strauss. I spent years and years listening to the Symphonic Fragment from Die Frau, and even though I found some great pleasure from it I always felt something was missing. Oh yeah, I know, the singing! And about another 2 hours and 45 minutes of music. My fear of opera left me in the blind for too long, but now I can see (and hear) and damn this is great stuff. The sheer scope of this piece is tremendous, over three hours long and requiring an arsenal of top-rated singers, a monumental sized band and numerous stage sets and changes.
I am drawn to Die Frau's mythical setting, which I believe Strauss scored ideally for. I also believe it contains the best opening and ending to any of his operas, the punch-in-the-face kickoff to start, and a a final 10 minutes that will make the hair on your neck stand tall! Overall this is one of the most beautifully conceived works of opera I've ever heard.

Similar to Elektra I only own one recording of Die Frau ohne Schatten, and again it's Solti with Vienna, but it's a real barnburner with some exquisite singing.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 15, 2014, 05:49:21 PM

[asin]B002QEXC9O[/asin]

I haven't heard the Bychkov either, but if it's in any way similar to the sound he created with that Berlin clip, then I would be interested as well. And thanks for the Haitink rec, DD. Another one I'll seek out for sure!  8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2014, 06:09:32 PM
I haven't heard the Bychkov either, but if it's in any way similar to the sound he created with that Berlin clip, then I would be interested as well.

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

QuoteAnd thanks for the Haitink rec, DD. Another one I'll seek out for sure!  8)

Pleasure. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2014, 06:05:13 PM

This is the most recent addition to my top ten from Strauss. I spent years and years listening to the Symphonic Fragment from Die Frau, and even though I found some great pleasure from it I always felt something was missing. Oh yeah, I know, the singing! And about another 2 hours and 45 minutes of music. My fear of opera left me in the blind for too long, but now I can see (and hear) and damn this is great stuff. The sheer scope of this piece is tremendous, over three hours long and requiring an arsenal of top-rated singers, a monumental sized band and numerous stage sets and changes.
I am drawn to Die Frau's mythical setting, which I believe Strauss scored ideally for. I also believe it contains the best opening and ending to any of his operas, the punch-in-the-face kickoff to start, and a a final 10 minutes that will make the hair on your neck stand tall! Overall this is one of the most beautifully conceived works of opera I've ever heard.

Similar to Elektra I only own one recording of Die Frau ohne Schatten, and again it's Solti with Vienna, but it's a real barnburner with some exquisite singing.

I did not see that one coming. I have never heard this.  :-[

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2014, 06:17:41 PM
I did not see that one coming. I have never heard this.  :-[
You need to correct that.
I have the Solti in the S. Conducts Strauss box but have not listened to it.
I do have the Sawallisch and have no hesitation in suggesting that.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2014, 06:05:13 PM

Oooooo, YES!!

I was hoping for a Schatten sighting!

The orchestration for this piece is exquisite. My favorite of all Strauss. I've always felt that this was his most colorful work.

Solti's performance is absolutely top-notch. And the sonics capture everything. Very impressive package all around.

However there is another that's just as good interpretively and is perhaps just a whisker better recorded: Sawallisch. But neither has a leg up over the other. They're perfect complements.

[asin]B005HYNCPE[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 15, 2014, 06:34:13 PM
Oooooo, YES!!

I was hoping for a Schatten sighting!

The orchestration for this piece is exquisite. My favorite of all Strauss. I've always felt that this was his most colorful work.

Solti's performance is absolutely top-notch. And the sonics capture everything. Very impressive package all around.

However there is another that's just as good interpretively and is perhaps just a whisker better recorded: Sawallisch. But neither has a leg up over the other. They're perfect complements.

[asin]B005HYNCPE[/asin]

That does looks as if it should be a good one. And I like Cheryl Studer, thanks, DD.

early grey

At the moment the Karajan Salome is available here

http://www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/vinyl.php

but this is a "here today, gone tomorrow" page on my site.