Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2014, 08:11:03 PM
That does looks as if it should be a good one. And I like Cheryl Studer, thanks, DD.

It is in the Warner/EMI set...

[asin] B00FM60U8E[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on July 16, 2014, 01:38:29 PM
It is in the Warner/EMI set...

[asin] B00FM60U8E[/asin]

That is very nice set, Moonfish. I've had my eye on this since it's release. Need to start saving!

TheGSMoeller

10 Days, 10 Works - of Richard Strauss

10. Metamorphosen, for 23 strings (1945)

I doubt this will come as a surprise, but my final entry in the Strauss 10 is arguably his finest work. Metamorphosen stands out among Strauss' other orchestral masterpieces because of its bleak and tragic tonality. The work was composed towards the end of the war and it is presumed that it was written as a personal lament by the composer. The (approximately) 27-minute piece throughout attempts a musical metamorphosis between devastation and sublime, resulting in some of the most heartbreakingly beautiful music of the 20th Century. But the appearance of Beethoven's Eroica funeral march by the cellos and basses at the end indicate that the gloomy shadow of war never goes away.

The score for Metamorphosen is quite amazing, the 23 strings are actually solo parts that have their own lines. But there are times when they all come together and form one large voice, and I think no recording has exhibited this better than the New Stockholm Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Esa-Pekka Salonen. Again there are some great performances of this work available, but none brings together the intimate nature of the soloists and the sweeping grandiose of the entire ensemble in a nicer presentation. As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of the Blomstedt/SFS recordings of Strauss. I've already mentioned this one earlier, but it gets a special recognition and sits slightly next to my first choice, mainly because of its impeccable clarity. No Metamorphosen can match the balance of London's SFS disc. Plus, it holds the best performed closing of the piece, Blomstedt lets the final chord fade into darkness, while the higher voices disappear the basses continue to resonate, it's quite eerie but divine. Both come highly recommended. 

I had the pleasure of seeing the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra perform Metamorphosen earlier this year under Donald Runnicles. It was one of the best live experiences ever, and I hope that I get a chance to see it again.

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 15, 2014, 05:26:01 PM
It may not be the Frog's favorite Strauss work but it certainly is mine.
YES.
I was introduced to it via Mahler.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 16, 2014, 06:42:35 PM

I doubt this will come as a surprise, but my final entry in the Strauss 10 is arguably his finest work. Metamorphosen stands out among Strauss' other orchestral masterpieces because of its bleak and tragic tonality. The work was composed towards the end of the war and it is presumed that it was written as a personal lament by the composer. The (approximately) 27-minute piece throughout attempts a musical metamorphosis between devastation and sublime, resulting in some of the most heartbreakingly beautiful music of the 20th Century. But the appearance of Beethoven's Eroica funeral march by the cellos and basses at the end indicate that the gloomy shadow of war never goes away.

The score for Metamorphosen is quite amazing, the 23 strings are actually solo parts that have their own lines. But there are times when they all come together and form one large voice, and I think no recording has exhibited this better than the New Stockholm Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Esa-Pekka Salonen. Again there are some great performances of this work available, but none brings together the intimate nature of the soloists and the sweeping grandiose of the entire ensemble in a nicer presentation. As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of the Blomstedt/SFS recordings of Strauss. I've already mentioned this one earlier, but it gets a special recognition and sits slightly next to my first choice, mainly because of its impeccable clarity. No Metamorphosen can match the balance of London's SFS disc. Plus, it holds the best performed closing of the piece, Blomstedt lets the final chord fade into darkness, while the higher voices disappear the basses continue to resonate, it's quite eerie but divine. Both come highly recommended. 

I had the pleasure of seeing the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra perform Metamorphosen earlier this year under Donald Runnicles. It was one of the best live experiences ever, and I hope that I get a chance to see it again.

Thanks for the reminder to re-listen to this piece, Greg!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

A splendid piece, and would also be in my top 10 favourite Strauss.  :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on July 17, 2014, 06:18:31 AM
Thanks for the reminder to re-listen to this piece, Greg!

You should download the score and read along, Karl. As a composer I think you'd find quite a bit to chew on.

Moonfish

A splendid choice Greg!!   The piece is relatively new to me as I have never really immersed myself in Strauss until recently. Interestingly, "Metamorphosen" became quite popular in my house last week with several spins over a couple of days. Even my wife asked me about the piece and expressed her interest in the music.  ???  And now you put it on a GMG pedestal!  I find the music very intriguing in its wavelike tonality. You used the word sublime which perhaps encapsulates the work?  Strauss' compositions seemingly call for repeated listenings in their web-like architectural soundscapes.  I need to dig deeper into his operas!   :P
Thanks for putting effort into the Strauss thread!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on July 17, 2014, 11:41:28 AM
A splendid choice Greg!!   The piece is relatively new to me as I have never really immersed myself in Strauss until recently. Interestingly, "Metamorphosen" became quite popular in my house last week with several spins over a couple of days. Even my wife asked me about the piece and expressed her interest in the music.  ???  And now you put it on a GMG pedestal!  I find the music very intriguing in its wavelike tonality. You used the word sublime which perhaps encapsulates the work?  Strauss' compositions seemingly call for repeated listenings in their web-like architectural soundscapes.  I need to dig deeper into his operas!   :P
Thanks for putting effort into the Strauss thread!

Thank you for the kind words!  :)
I'm glad you're increasing your interest in Strauss. I'm hoping that this thread stays active, I've only mentioned a fraction of his great works and there is still plenty more to explore.

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 17, 2014, 11:54:51 AM
Thank you for the kind words!  :)
I'm glad you're increasing your interest in Strauss. I'm hoping that this thread stays active, I've only mentioned a fraction of his great works and there is still plenty more to explore.

One word Moonfish: lieder.

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

kishnevi

Listened to this in the EMI Eminence box tonight.  Perhaps not quite as topflight as from the ladies but nicely done

Simon Keenlyside with Malcolm Martineau tickling the ivories
ASIN B000025XY9

Daverz

Quote from: Moonfish on July 17, 2014, 01:41:46 PM

I'd listen to more lieder if it wasn't sung in some furrin' jibber-jabber.

Karl Henning

To whoever suggested the Sinopoli Josephs Legende (I'm thinking Greg and Jens, perhaps others), hearty thanks. I think this has become my favorite Strauss score.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wanderer

Quote from: karlhenning on October 04, 2014, 06:43:04 PM
To whoever suggested the Sinopoli Josephs Legende (I'm thinking Greg and Jens, perhaps others), hearty thanks. I think this has become my favorite Strauss score.

You're one of us now!  8)

TheGSMoeller

That's great news, Karl!  :)
And I'm glad I read this before I headed to work this morning, grabbed this disc for the car ride.  8)

Ken B

I am going to a talk with live examples on Electra today. It's a regular thing at a friend's church, the UMich opera department does it.

Brahmsian

I have not heard this performance, Karl.  However, Josephs Legende is a marvelous work.  Glad you enjoyed it!!  :)

Florestan

Any fans of his early works? Violin Sonata, Cello Sonata, Violin Concerto, 1st Horn Concerto anyone? He dismissed them himself, but I think he shouldn't have. They are the first-rate second-rate masterpieces of a first-rate second-rate composer.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

I need another cup of hot tea before I can sort that out :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA