Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Have Chang, don't remember anything impressive from either the concerto or the sonata.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 22, 2014, 07:15:40 AM
Have Chang?

I do, thanks, Jeffrey.  ;D

As much as I love Strauss and own way too many recordings of his works, I'm perfectly satisfied with owning only one version of the VC/VSonata and that's the Chang/Sawallisch.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2014, 09:41:54 PM
What are everyone's favorite performances of the tone poems?

Don Juan - Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic
Death and Transfiguration - Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic
Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks - Sawallisch/Philadelphia
Also sprach Zarathustra - Kempe/Dresden
Don Quixote - Kempe/Berlin Philharmonic
Ein Heldenleben - Bychkov/Köln
Symphonia Domestica - Sawallisch/Philadelphia
An Alpine Symphony - Blomstedt/San Francisco

I'd add:

Metamorphosis - either Bychkov/Köln or Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic
Festive Prelude (for the roof-raising organ!) - Sawallisch/Philadelphia

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

For the violin sonata Chung/Zimerman is good.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 22, 2014, 08:01:52 PM
For the violin sonata Chung/Zimerman is good.

Yep, this the one I have on the way. It's coupled with Respighi's Violin Sonata, which I've never heard before.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 22, 2014, 07:55:51 PM

Don Juan - Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic
Death and Transfiguration - Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic
Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks - Sawallisch/Philadelphia
Also sprach Zarathustra - Kempe/Dresden
Don Quixote - Kempe/Berlin Philharmonic
Ein Heldenleben - Bychkov/Köln
Symphonia Domestica - Sawallisch/Philadelphia
An Alpine Symphony - Blomstedt/San Francisco

I'd add:

Metamorphosis - either Bychkov/Köln or Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic

Nice list, DD. Coincidently, on your recommendation, I picked up both two of the Bychkov recordings (Eine Alpensinfonie and Ein Heldenleben discs). Really looking forward to hearing what he does with Strauss. I'm generally a fan of his conducting. I watched him conduct a performance of Walton's 1st on YouTube that was quite something.

Ken B

I see we are all Canadian today. Class act DungeonMaster.

My avatar is the hero of the day, the Sergeant at Arms of the Commons, who shot the terrorist just yards from the caucus room.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on October 22, 2014, 08:39:04 PM
I see we are all Canadian today. Class act DungeonMaster.

My avatar is the hero of the day, the Sergeant at Arms of the Commons, who shot the terrorist just yards from the caucus room.

??? What does this have to do with Strauss, Ken?

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 22, 2014, 08:42:42 PM
??? What does this have to do with Strauss, Ken?
Look beside the names John. Little flag.
Why not on this thread? Has to go somewhere?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on October 22, 2014, 08:49:12 PM
Look beside the names John. Little flag.
Why not on this thread? Has to go somewhere?

What are you talking about? Beside the names? What names?

Anyway, is the Strauss really the proper venue for discussing Canadian or any kind of news besides related to Strauss? That's really why 'The Diner' exists, isn't it?

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 22, 2014, 08:53:54 PM
What are you talking about? Beside the names? What names?

Anyway, is the Strauss really the proper venue for discussing Canadian or any kind of news besides related to Strauss? That's really why 'The Diner' exists, isn't it?
I am not discussing the news. I am acknowledging the action of our host.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on October 22, 2014, 08:58:24 PM
I am not discussing the news. I am acknowledging the action of our host.

But why here and not 'The Diner' where it would make more sense for you to make the acknowledgement?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 22, 2014, 08:32:08 PM
Nice list, DD. Coincidently, on your recommendation, I picked up both two of the Bychkov recordings (Eine Alpensinfonie and Ein Heldenleben discs). Really looking forward to hearing what he does with Strauss. I'm generally a fan of his conducting.

Bychkov has more of a modernist bent to his approach to Strauss. It's an approach I really enjoy. And it works very well in his Elektra, too.

I haven't heard his Alpine, though. And since Alpine is still a work I haven't yet managed to conquer (so to speak) I'll definitely be looking out for your comments once you've heard the Bychkov.

TheGSMoeller

Only listened to Disc 1, and snuck in the final 10 minutes because it's an amazing ending, of Sawallisch's Die Frau ohne Schatten on EMI...DD made a great rec, it's beautifully performed. I've read several times it lacks the power of Solti's, which was even used as a negative, and they're right. But Sawallisch and Co. create a more lyrical power, a smooth flowing river of sound rather than a large, crashing waterfall. Not saying either one is correct, but it's a great contrast to study, and there is definitely some clarity in the EMI that is lost in the Decca. Im excited to get to the rest of Sawallisch's Die Frau, the more I listen to this opera, the easier it is to call it Strauss' best.

Thanks, DD.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 22, 2014, 07:55:51 PM

Heard that live at Old South Church on Copley Square!  No recording can equal that  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 22, 2014, 09:24:15 PM
Bychkov has more of a modernist bent to his approach to Strauss. It's an approach I really enjoy. And it works very well in his Elektra, too.

I haven't heard his Alpine, though. And since Alpine is still a work I haven't yet managed to conquer (so to speak) I'll definitely be looking out for your comments once you've heard the Bychkov.

A more modernist bent in Strauss? I'm so there! Thanks, DD. I'll definitely post my thoughts on the Eine Alpensinfonie Bychkov disc once I've listened to it.

ritter

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 22, 2014, 09:24:15 PM

We had the luck of having Bychkov do Elektra at Madrid's Teatro Real a couple of seasons ago (with Deborah Polaski in the title role, Rosalind Plowright as Clytemnestra and Ricarda Merbeth as Chrysothemis, directed by K.H. Gruber and with sets by Anselm Kiefer) and he was spectacular in it! The orchestra seemed transformed from being a competent pit band to a world-class ensemble, and Bychkov managed to set an excellent dramatic pace in this score, while not loosing sight of the orchestral detail. Very, very good! :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 23, 2014, 02:47:39 AM
Only listened to Disc 1, and snuck in the final 10 minutes because it's an amazing ending, of Sawallisch's Die Frau ohne Schatten on EMI...DD made a great rec, it's beautifully performed. I've read several times it lacks the power of Solti's, which was even used as a negative, and they're right. But Sawallisch and Co. create a more lyrical power, a smooth flowing river of sound rather than a large, crashing waterfall. Not saying either one is correct, but it's a great contrast to study, and there is definitely some clarity in the EMI that is lost in the Decca. Im excited to get to the rest of Sawallisch's Die Frau, the more I listen to this opera, the easier it is to call it Strauss' best.

Thanks, DD.

Whew! Now I can exhale. ;D And you're welcome, GS.

That's great to hear it's working out so far. Yeah, Schatten really is a work that can take two drastically different approaches, such as Solti and Sawallisch, and still come out crackling. 

And "lyrical power" hits it right on the head, too - both the work and Sawallisch's approach.   

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2014, 04:34:14 AM
Heard that live at Old South Church on Copley Square!  No recording can equal that  8)

Beautiful church, Karl, inside and out. And what a venue to hear a roof-raising piece!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2014, 06:38:13 AM
A more modernist bent in Strauss? I'm so there! Thanks, DD. I'll definitely post my thoughts on the Eine Alpensinfonie Bychkov disc once I've listened to it.

Awesome!