Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2014, 12:17:16 PM
BTW, I have to tip my hat towards Dancing Divertimentian. Bychkov's Ein Heldenleben may be one of the finest I've heard. Next up will be his Metamorphosen, which I'm sure will be equally impressive.

Do you know the Nelsons recording with the CBSO, John? Outstanding. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 29, 2014, 10:17:15 AM
Do you know the Nelsons recording with the CBSO, John? Outstanding. :)

I do not, Daniel, but I'm not a great fan of Nelsons conducting. I'm pretty set on Ein Heldenleben performances now. 8) I still have Thielemann's on the way and then that's the last one I'm going to buy I think. My current favorites are Reiner/CSO and Bychkov/Cologne RSO. Thanks for the recommendation, though. :)

Moonfish

Richard Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie            BP/Karajan

Just listened to Karajan's 1980 performance of 'Eine Alpensinfonie' for the first time and was blown away. I have listened quite a bit to this composition over the last year and had settled on Kempe's rendition as my "champion".  Kempe's recording is excellent. After hearing Karajan I am no longer so sure which one I prefer. The performance was astounding and literally brought me to the ascent of the mountain in Strauss' tone poem. A fantastic performance! Well, at least I now can let Kempe and Karajan take turns when I wish to listen to Strauss' enchanting composition.  Are there other renditions that are possible rivals to Kempe and Karajan?

[asin] B000001GK2[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 29, 2014, 05:47:35 PM
I do not, Daniel, but I'm not a great fan of Nelsons conducting. I'm pretty set on Ein Heldenleben performances now. 8) I still have Thielemann's on the way and then that's the last one I'm going to buy I think. My current favorites are Reiner/CSO and Bychkov/Cologne RSO. Thanks for the recommendation, though. :)

Ah, what is it about Nelsons that you do not like? I haven't heard the Bychkov yet so may explore at some point..
As for favourite Alpine symphony, Moonfish, Wit on Naxos is very very good. Karajan is indeed hard to beat in this work though.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 03, 2014, 07:20:13 AM
Ah, what is it about Nelsons that you do not like? I haven't heard the Bychkov yet so may explore at some point..
As for favourite Alpine symphony, Moonfish, Wit on Naxos is very very good. Karajan is indeed hard to beat in this work though.

My Strauss phase has officially ended, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is in Nelsons' conducting that I didn't enjoy, but I didn't feel anything from his performance of Ein Heldenleben. Thankfully, I only own a few Nelsons recordings and his Strauss isn't one of them. I do, however, like his Shostakovich.

madaboutmahler

I must admit that it was his Strauss that got me so excited about Nelsons, watching his Der Rosenkav suite with the Berlin Phil on the Digital Concert Hall!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 07:25:39 AM
My Strauss phase has officially ended, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is in Nelsons' conducting that I didn't enjoy, but I didn't feel anything from his performance of Ein Heldenleben. Thankfully, I only own a few Nelsons recordings and his Strauss isn't one of them. I do, however, like his Shostakovich.

Strauss phases never end.....       >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 07:54:44 AM

Mine do. :) I always seem to go back to the same composers after these phases have ended: Britten, Schnittke, Hartmann, Schoenberg, Berg, Bartok, Ravel, etc.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 07:56:45 AM
Mine do. :) I always seem to go back to the same composers after these phases have ended: Britten, Schnittke, Hartmann, Schoenberg, Berg, Bartok, Ravel, etc.

Interesting! I just can't see myself not having a dose of Strauss on a regular basis!  0:)
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 08:01:20 AM
Interesting! I just can't see myself not having a dose of Strauss on a regular basis!  0:)

Well, this speaks of your own personal preferences, which mine are, obviously, much different than yours.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 08:05:33 AM
Well, this speaks of your own personal preferences, which mine are, obviously, much different than yours.

Hey, how was that BBC magazine issue focusing on R Strauss?
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 07:54:44 AM

+1
Mine has been lasting for just over 20 years now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 08:06:54 AM
Hey, how was that BBC magazine issue focusing on R Strauss?

I looked over it but haven't really dove into the article itself (yet). It'll be a few years before I get back to Strauss.

Moonfish

Could anybody recommend a good Strauss biography?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 03, 2014, 08:09:53 AM
+1
Mine has been lasting for just over 20 years now.

Take 2 Stravinsky and call me in the morning.

(That's my standard joke for Mahlerians  >:D)

Jaakko Keskinen

Heard Metamorphosen and Tod und Verlkärung recently. Holy shit.

Anyone who accuses Strauss of being incapable of nothing but empty turgid orchestral bombing, with no sense of sophisticated, refine sounding music... should listen to Metamorphosen. The way you can see ghost of Beethoven at the background, yet sounding nothing like cheap imitation... And the music makes even greater impression when thinking about how utterly Germany was destroyed during composition of this piece. Certainly the head of state was guilty of monstrous crimes against humanity... but war is always devastating and suffering of many germans can be felt through this piece. This composition is so divinely humane. There is no other word for it. It is humane.

And so is Tod und Verklärung, even though it is very different from Metamorphosen, containing plenty of orchestral bombing, but I'd say every measure of it is fully justified and pure awesomeness. I'm sorry I sound like worshipping fanboy but I am so dumb-struck by these tremendous works. This just might be my favorite tone poem from Strauss, almost beating Alpine symphony and Heldenleben. Almost. Let's say it's a tie. Bit surprising how I, the great Romanticism lover, haven't earlier heard these two. Although Metamorphosen doesn't strike me as Romantic exactly. I still have many important compositions from Strauss unheard.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Never mind, Tod und verlkärung is better than Heldenleben, at least for now. I think I've heard heldenleben bit too many times, it's starting a bit to annoy me at some parts. Alpine symphony though is still at least as good as Tod.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Moonfish

R Strauss:
Vier Letzte Lieder
Cappricio (excerpt)
Arabella (excerpt)

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf/Philharmonia O/Ackermann

I listened to this recording while driving home in the dark and was utterly enchanted. I cannot put my finger on if this was due to Schwarzkopf's voice and ability to modulate her voice in German or if it was Strauss' perplexing wave of sounds washing over my psyche. It was likely a combination of both. I now have a renewed interest in Schwarzkopf and ponder listening to her in the  "Der Rosenkavalier".

[asin] B0001O3Y76[/asin]

from
[asin] B004HF0PAO[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Alberich on November 29, 2014, 08:26:57 AM
Heard Metamorphosen and Tod und Verlkärung recently. Holy shit.

Anyone who accuses Strauss of being incapable of nothing but empty turgid orchestral bombing, with no sense of sophisticated, refine sounding music... should listen to Metamorphosen. The way you can see ghost of Beethoven at the background, yet sounding nothing like cheap imitation... And the music makes even greater impression when thinking about how utterly Germany was destroyed during composition of this piece. Certainly the head of state was guilty of monstrous crimes against humanity... but war is always devastating and suffering of many germans can be felt through this piece. This composition is so divinely humane. There is no other word for it. It is humane.

And so is Tod und Verklärung, even though it is very different from Metamorphosen, containing plenty of orchestral bombing, but I'd say every measure of it is fully justified and pure awesomeness. I'm sorry I sound like worshipping fanboy but I am so dumb-struck by these tremendous works. This just might be my favorite tone poem from Strauss, almost beating Alpine symphony and Heldenleben. Almost. Let's say it's a tie. Bit surprising how I, the great Romanticism lover, haven't earlier heard these two. Although Metamorphosen doesn't strike me as Romantic exactly. I still have many important compositions from Strauss unheard.

You are right Alberich! Metamorphosen moves right into one's soul in its intricate layers and power. It is a magnificent piece that seem to unravel in different ways every time one listens to it!
Anna Lappé