Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990

Started by vandermolen, May 13, 2009, 03:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on November 15, 2023, 08:39:14 AMI had been watching Leonard Bernstein videos recently.  One of my favs is Bernstein upbraiding a student conductor for not admitting his own mistake.  Another of my favs is his telling of his experience learning under Reiner:

Thank you for posting those...quite interesting to watch!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Leo K.

I didn't use to like Bernstein's 3rd Symphony "Kaddish" but I respected it, but now today, after again hearing his earlier recording with his wife as the speaker, just totally blew me away, and now I love love love it. It's like the clouds opened and I get it, the speaker is essential and almost a percussive element if done with intent. Because of much that I am hearing in the media lately, the text felt so relevant as ever. The music was crushing and beautiful.

lordlance

A new performance of Mass for those interested (a true rarity):

https://vk.com/video/@maximillianrichter?z=video737728344_456240076%2Fpl_737728344_-2

I can share the text for those interested.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

San Antone

Quote from: lordlance on April 23, 2024, 04:58:02 PMA new performance of Mass for those interested (a true rarity):

https://vk.com/video/@maximillianrichter?z=video737728344_456240076%2Fpl_737728344_-2

I can share the text for those interested.

Jubilant Sykes is one of the better leads in Mass.  His recording with Marin Alsop is probably the 2nd best performance.  I hope these concert forces end up releasing a recording; there are six available, and more new recordings are always welcome. 

Mass is one of my favorite works, of all - and definitely my favorite work by Bernstein.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Leo K. on April 23, 2024, 08:58:48 AMI didn't use to like Bernstein's 3rd Symphony "Kaddish" but I respected it, but now today, after again hearing his earlier recording with his wife as the speaker, just totally blew me away, and now I love love love it. It's like the clouds opened and I get it, the speaker is essential and almost a percussive element if done with intent. Because of much that I am hearing in the media lately, the text felt so relevant as ever. The music was crushing and beautiful.

I must admit my "arc" with this piece is the reverse - I really used to love it but now less so.  However, I do think the 1st Bernstein version with Felicia Montealegre and Jennie Tourel is easily the best recording because both those performers are so completely committed to the work. That said a couple of the lines of the spoken text do rather make me cringe.  But somehow that is the deal with Bernstein.

ando

Quote from: DavidW on November 15, 2023, 08:39:14 AMI had been watching Leonard Bernstein videos recently.  One of my favs is Bernstein upbraiding a student conductor for not admitting his own mistake.  Another of my favs is his telling of his experience learning under Reiner:

Thanks. YT posters have taken bits and pieces from the entire Kennedy Center Honors Interview to highlight points about Bernstein's career/viewpoint. But I wanted to watch it in its entirety. Inspiring!

DavidW

@ando Nice find!  I will give it a watch.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 23, 2024, 11:06:49 PMI must admit my "arc" with this piece is the reverse - I really used to love it but now less so.  However, I do think the 1st Bernstein version with Felicia Montealegre and Jennie Tourel is easily the best recording because both those performers are so completely committed to the work. That said a couple of the lines of the spoken text do rather make me cringe.  But somehow that is the deal with Bernstein.
I've never got my head round it. I've always loved 'Jeremiah' and 'The Age of Anxiety' has grown on me in recent years. Must try again with 'Kaddish'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 17, 2024, 09:45:44 PMI've never got my head round it. I've always loved 'Jeremiah' and 'The Age of Anxiety' has grown on me in recent years. Must try again with 'Kaddish'.

I'm also an admirer of Bernstein's 1st and 2nd symphonies, but I never have been able to get into the Kaddish. I suppose a lot of stems from the fact that I have a dislike for spoken parts (but also narration) in music. My philosophy seems to be either sing it or shut up.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler