Robert Simpson(1921-1997)

Started by Dundonnell, March 25, 2008, 02:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

DavidW

Simpson is so bad ass I'm going to have to buy a new album each week. :)

Lethevich

Woot! I am glad you're liking him - have you tried the chamber music yet? People tend to find it more austere, and I agree, but that's more to do with the medium than any stylistic change. I can't stop listening to his 9th quartet ;__;
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

I listened to his clarinet quintet and some sqs a few years back, but didn't like 'em as much.  Maybe I'll try 'em again some day.

Klaatu

QuoteSimpson is so bad ass I'm going to have to buy a new album each week.

Yo, my man! Simpson sure is one bad ass dude; wrote some real bitchin' music; glad yo' diggin' his s**t, bro'.  Wicked! 8) 8) 8)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Klaatu on February 13, 2012, 09:13:39 AM
Yo, my man! Simpson sure is one bad ass dude; wrote some real bitchin' music; glad yo' diggin' his s**t, bro'.  Wicked! 8) 8) 8)

EEK ::) :o ::)

Klaatu

QuoteYo, my man! Simpson sure is one bad ass dude; wrote some real bitchin' music; glad yo' diggin' his s**t, bro'.  Wicked!   

EEK   
Er, yes.....so sorry......DavidW's comment inadvertently triggered my "gangsta" alter ego. But I've taken the tablets and I'm fine now!

DavidW

Robert Simpson brings out the gangster in all of us! :D

springrite

He seems more Wutang than Shaolin for me. Love the Haydn Variation Quartet more than anything, and dig the symphonies as well. Kimi still thinks he is boring (compared to Beethoven and Boulez, two of her favorites), but she is 3, so what does she know.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: springrite on February 13, 2012, 03:54:24 PM
Kimi still thinks he is boring (compared to Beethoven and Boulez, two of her favorites), but she is 3, so what does she know.

Out of the mouth of babes...  8)

I tend to agree with her. I love Simpson's symphonies; the quartets haven't inspired a similar feeling.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Quote from: Klaatu on February 13, 2012, 09:13:39 AM
That reminds me to put on my balaclava & take some of those rap cds down to the charity shop. I'm sure they'll be very pleased,until they see the warning stickers! :o
Don't ask me how I got them,please! :o  :(
James Brown was much nicer! :)

I MUST invest in some more Simpson. I wrote a very enthusiastic to him once,not knowing he'd had a particularly horrible & debilitating stroke. His wife replied. A very nice letter. I was so pleased! Most thoughtful.

calyptorhynchus

"He seems more Wutang than Shaolin for me. "

As someone with an interest in Chinese martial arts, I thought that comment was particularly apt.

Shaolin is taken in China to be the external martial art par excellence, Wutang the range of internal martial arts. External martial arts concentrate on mental and physical toughness, internal on mental and physical toughness produced by exercises that coordinate the body and the energy flows through it. Both sorts are pretty effective martial arts (you end up dead if you fight with practitioners of either) but the internal ones have more health benefits in addition.

If you apply the analogy to music, however, the external would be Romantic or modernist music that relies on musical rhetoric and bravado, and, in my view, is unsatisfactory because of this. Internal would be the sort of music that Simpson represents preeminently, supremely cordinated throughout and full of musical energy. Fa jing!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

madaboutmahler

Matthew played me the 8th symphony today at the academy. What a great work! Although I cannot love it as much as the 4th symphony, or strangely the 7th symphony, I was still amazed with it and stillf feel a strong connection with Simpson's music. Many great moments, a lot of rather scary music as well! I look forward to hearing more Simpson! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Dundonnell

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 25, 2012, 02:00:17 PM
Matthew played me the 8th symphony today at the academy. What a great work! Although I cannot love it as much as the 4th symphony, or strangely the 7th symphony, I was still amazed with it and stillf feel a strong connection with Simpson's music. Many great moments, a lot of rather scary music as well! I look forward to hearing more Simpson! :D

Facebook ;D ;D ;D

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Dundonnell

Well..I shall just repeat(hopefully with no spelling mistakes ;D ;D) what I said there-

"A great composer in full and total command of symphonic structure producing a masterpiece of cosmic grandeur and shattering power!!! :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 25, 2012, 02:00:17 PM
Matthew played me the 8th symphony today at the academy. What a great work! Although I cannot love it as much as the 4th symphony, or strangely the 7th symphony, I was still amazed with it and stillf feel a strong connection with Simpson's music. Many great moments, a lot of rather scary music as well!

Yeah, it is scary (or to use David's word, "badass").

The scherzo (marked "menacing") and the ice-cold slow movement that follows are the highlights.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

calyptorhynchus

Since being alerted to its existence last week on this thread I have been searching for a copy of the 1996 CD with the Simpson Piano Concerto on it... fruitlessly.

Could some kind person who has it post an Mp3 of the Simpson? I'm sure this would be legal, as we would all buy the disk instantly if it was reissued ;D

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Dundonnell

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 27, 2012, 10:51:37 AM
Since being alerted to its existence last week on this thread I have been searching for a copy of the 1996 CD with the Simpson Piano Concerto on it... fruitlessly.

Could some kind person who has it post an Mp3 of the Simpson? I'm sure this would be legal, as we would all buy the disk instantly if it was reissued ;D

Shhhhh ::) ;D

calyptorhynchus

I would like to thank Dundonnell, but his inbox is full!

Anyway, much appreciated. :-X