The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Peter Maxwell Davies (1934-2016)

<< < (3/17) > >>

lukeottevanger:
Do try The Lighthouse. I'm repeating myself already, but it is the most perfect piece of PMD I've heard, more so than any of his abstract scores. I can't imagine anyone tuned in to contemporary music not falling for it - a gem in every detail and from every angle which I'd happily spend a thread talking about. There are, it is true, elements of 'Eight Songs'-ish vocal writing, but nothing quite so extreme, and in fact they are not really audible as 'extended techniques' on the recording, though the score reveals them as such.

'Hectoring', in the context of a comment earlier up this thread, was a good choice of adjective, BTW ;D

not edward:
I'll take a look for it. I see it's one of those vanished Collins releases: any chance of it reappearing on Naxos or NMC, do you know?

lukeottevanger:
No idea, sorry - I hope so. I'd forgotten the whole Collins issue. What a pain.

Al Moritz:
How nice to have as my first post on this board one on this composer.

I second Luke's strong recommendation of The Lighthouse. Also, his symphonies # 1 through 4, as well as # 6, are terrific. I don't enjoy # 5 yet.

I was lucky to obtain all my Collins recordings from Berkshire Record Outlet around the time they were discontinued, for $ 4 to $ 6 a piece.

I consider PMD one of the major composers of the second half of the 20th century, just a bit below the top tier. He does have some limits of gestural language, but these become evident only upon exposure to a wider range of his output -- and Carter and Xenakis have their limits too (... Al ducks for cover).

Al

Wendell_E:

--- Quote from: edward on May 03, 2007, 12:08:07 PM ---I'll take a look for it. I see it's one of those vanished Collins releases: any chance of it reappearing on Naxos or NMC, do you know?

--- End quote ---

You can download, or purchase "custom CDs" of many of his works, including The Lighthouse here:

http://music.maxopus.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version