The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Peter Maxwell Davies (1934-2016)

<< < (4/17) > >>

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 03, 2007, 11:34:41 AM ---I may be wrong, but I think all swans are the Queen's, technically. Something on those lines, anyway. Also a protected species, I suspect. And Max, newly installed as a (Republican ;D) Master of Liz's Music[k] finding a dead swan near his house, took it home for the pot. And promptly got in trouble of some sort.
--- End quote ---

Ah. Road-kill  ;D

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: Al Moritz on May 03, 2007, 12:44:57 PM ---How nice to have as my first post on this board one on this composer.

--- End quote ---

Welcome, at last, Al!

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: edward on May 03, 2007, 11:41:32 AM ---PMD is one of those composers I've never managed to get into. The Songs for a Mad King always seemed too hectoring and over-the-top for home listening (though I bet it's astonishing live).

--- End quote ---

My experience pretty much aligns with this.

There was a spell during which I thought even better of Miss Donnithorne's Maggot, but in that case, I didn't stick with it longer term, and could not venture a "live" opinion.

Hector:

--- Quote from: edward on May 03, 2007, 11:41:32 AM ---PMD is one of those composers I've never managed to get into. The Songs for a Mad King always seemed too hectoring and over-the-top for home listening (though I bet it's astonishing live). I think the only other major works I have recordings of are the Violin Concerto (have the Stern recording and find the piece only intermittently inspiring) and the 5th symphony--of which I can remember nothing.

I'll give the symphony a spin tonight.

--- End quote ---

Hey, don't take my name in vain, no matter how right you are.

Al Moritz likes it so it must be crap!

Al Moritz:

--- Quote from: Hector on May 04, 2007, 05:38:59 AM ---Al Moritz likes it so it must be crap!

--- End quote ---

Hehe  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version