The Music of Brazil - Naxos series

Started by Brian, September 19, 2022, 08:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

IMHO is better Brasilia's Symphony

Brian

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 28, 2024, 05:18:40 PMIMHO is better Brasilia's Symphony

I am listening to this now...

A retirada da laguna is a 41-minute programmatic suite and it is a charming one full of colorful episodes, tunes, fun orchestration. It feels a lot like film music. I know that may be a troublesome thing to say on this forum right now  ;D  ;D but it does sound like a good movie soundtrack. (It isn't; it was written for concert.)

The 12-minute Violin Concertino is the least overtly patriotic/Brazilian piece by Guerra-Peixe so far in the Naxos catalogue, but it still has echoes of other global folk traditions - the slow movement's violin part has rustic fiddling that reminds me of Bartok or Appalachia. And the finale definitely brings to mind a South American street scene. (The duetting flutes definitely remind me of music I heard in Guatemala.)

Museu da inconfidencia is fascinating for a few reasons. First, it's written to depict a history museum! That's a new level compared to Pictures at an Exhibition. Second, "inconfidĂȘncia" is an interesting word for the etymology enthusiasts here. It indicates a rebellion by a separatist movement, so it uses "confidence" in the sense of a no-confidence vote. Third, it's a four-movement short work with an opening fanfare, a grindingly painful lament for the fallen rebels, and two rather jovial, sardonic dance episodes depicting enslaved Brazilian peoples' culture and solidarity against their oppressors.

In short, this disc is a 100% winner, just like the previous Guerra-Peixe volume. The booklet mentions the Brasilia Symphony. I wonder if Naxos will record it? Looks like the only way to listen now is on YouTube.