Landmark Schöne Müllerin performances on record

Started by Mandryka, March 05, 2024, 07:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Two parlando performances.

First, Patzak with Raucheisen

And Egmond/Crawford

I find  Patzak  makes a powerful impression expressively, there are these kind of storms which come from nowhere!   Egmond has a nice voice. Both a bit quirky, I'd say Patzak is a landmark in some sense. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2024, 12:46:26 AMAn old discussion of landmark recordings here

http://operacritiques.free.fr/css/index.php?2014/04/15/2451-franz-

@SurprisedByBeauty  - can we have a new discography please. Chop-chop.

Oh boy! That's a tall order!

Can I placate you with a Twitter-thread on all the recordings of Die Winterreise that Fischer-Dieskau ever made?

https://twitter.com/ClassicalCritic/status/1685182786217418752

I have a few new discographies under way, though... but top of the list is an overhaul of the Bach Organ Cycle Survey.

SimonNZ

Wunderlich's DG set is deservedly a classic, but I remember back when I played this music a lot, and back when I had a huge vinyl collection, that I rated his Nonesuch recording even higher.

Haven't played it in over a decade, though. (well, I haven't played it since all my vinyl got stolen, and I've never encountered that recording on cd).

Mandryka

Astonishing rendition from Fassbaender and Reimann - tough, sour, harsh, brutal almost. Lyrical but spiky, angular. This is one nasty vengeful lover. Some would say she's taken the music completely the wrong way I guess.

Mandryka

Wanna hear Otello or Siegfried sing Schöne Müllerin? Francisco Araiza's your answer. The DG engineers have not done him any favours though - the timbre is lean and the it's sometimes terribly in your face, it's as if he's there in your living room, singing 2 meters away - full throttle, the volume of a tenor on the stage at Covent Garden. A far cry from his beautiful Winterreise. 

But it's a flexible colourful voice and a dramatic interpretation, nuanced,  sensitive to the poetry. If  he had been more sympathetically recorded it would be top tier.

Mandryka

This is a landmark because, I think, it's the longest Müllerin on record. Michel Schade is a lyric tenor with quite a pure timbre - and here he inflects the music quite dramatically. Buchbinder inflects the piano part quite dramatically too. This is Schade's second Mullerin recording, possibly Buchbinder's second too. There's something a bit self conscious about it all maybe, maybe I've lost my innocence, my open mind. It defo deserves a hearing.

Mandryka

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 16, 2024, 06:22:35 PMOh boy! That's a tall order!

Can I placate you with a Twitter-thread on all the recordings of Die Winterreise that Fischer-Dieskau ever made?

https://twitter.com/ClassicalCritic/status/1685182786217418752

I have a few new discographies under way, though... but top of the list is an overhaul of the Bach Organ Cycle Survey.

Here, you've lost the commission. He who snoozes loses.

https://dieschoenemuellerin.online/

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2024, 09:40:56 AM

Wanna hear Otello or Siegfried sing Schöne Müllerin? Francisco Araiza's your answer. The DG engineers have not done him any favours though - the timbre is lean and the it's sometimes terribly in your face, it's as if he's there in your living room, singing 2 meters away - full throttle, the volume of a tenor on the stage at Covent Garden. A far cry from his beautiful Winterreise. 

But it's a flexible colourful voice and a dramatic interpretation, nuanced,  sensitive to the poetry. If  he had been more sympathetically recorded it would be top tier.

This is better I think, a Tokyo concert in 1986. The sound is distant though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrG6Iz0yZRE&list=PLCBD203B12D7747E4

SurprisedByBeauty

Mandryka

Andreas Schmidt has recorded Müllerin twice, first on Hänssler and then on DG - same for Winterreise. For DG the voice is deeper, and I would say that the interpretations - both Winterreise and Müllerin - are full of sensitivity. I just find what he does almost devistatingly expressive, moving, not for a minute boring or pretentious. Top tier, for both cycles. To be honest, I'm so impressed by his DG recordings that I may not be doing justice to the earlier ones.

Mandryka

This is such a fabulous performance because it's so attractive vocally - the pleasure comes from Hans Peter Blochwitz's colourful, flexible voice and his feeling for lyricism and the drama. The result is natural: it feels right, unpretentious and  obliterates the memory of others. The word I want to use for Blochwitz's art is "pure" - but I'm not sure why. Top T Müllerin objectively, if at the end of the day for me it's a bit too extrovert, too operatic. Gaben's pretty good too.

Mandryka

Roman Trekel/Oliver Pohl - Dark, text-aware, interesting and engaged and engaging.