The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Recordings for lute and related instruments

<< < (2/113) > >>

Guido:
I will be watching this thread with great interest. Actually this is real coincidence - I just finished watching this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuoBpNz6fD8&feature=related

Julian Bream playing to Stravinsky. It's quite sweet how starstruck he is, and he plays as fantastically as ever.

Josquin des Prez:

--- Quote from: val on March 29, 2008, 04:52:55 AM ---To me, Weiss is not inferior to Bach, regarding their lute music.
--- End quote ---

I think he's far superior, except for the BWV 997 suite, which is greater then anything i heard from Weiss (when Bach put his mind into something he has no peers). Either way, he's my favored composer for the instrument.

As for the aforementioned suite by Bach, i like the recording by Hopkinson Smith. Very clear counterpoint and the sound quality is excellent (always a plus when it comes to "quiet" instruments like the lute).

Josquin des Prez:

--- Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2008, 07:12:19 AM ---I am very busily and happily collecting the Weiss sonatas series on Naxos, featuring the extraordinary performer Robert Barto (I think his custom instrument has 13 strings).
--- End quote ---

Is that going to be a complete set? I already have all the suites from the London source by Michel Cardin but i've always wanted to put my hands on the Dresden Manuscript.

FideLeo:

--- Quote from: erato on March 29, 2008, 08:30:12 AM ---This is a stunning recording (about the best sound I've ever heard) of some melodious, finely wrought music:

I have it in its previous incarnation on now defunct fnac music.

--- End quote ---

The mention of Robert de Visse (the Sun King's lute teacher and house lutenist) is very welcomed since there were probably more lute player-composers in 17th and 18th century France than in Germany at the same time.  This recording has wonderfully resonant sound and relaxed playing, and is currently available with the same player's Bach transcriptions BWV1007-09 in a Virgin Verita 2x set.  Hopkinson Smith's recordings of other French composers (the Gaultier's, Dufaut, de Gallot, de Rippe, Mouton, etc.) are great.

I think music for the 6-course vihuela should also be categorised with lute pieces since the methods of both instruments are said to be quite similar even though the Spanish vihuela looks very much like a Renaissance guitar.

The photograph above shows Jose Miguel Moreno, one of the best musicians around, playing a vihuela.  His lute recordings (on own brand Glossa) (de Visse, Weiss etc.) are also wonderful.

Shrunk:
Thanks for starting this thread!  I'm all over the lute.   I'm considering taking classical guitar lessons (Been playing the instrument for years, but have only sporadically taken classical lessons), but since I'm mostly interested in learning lute pieces, I'm wondering if it might be best just to go directly for the real thing and study the lute instead, though I might be a bit too old to take up something new..

A couple other O'Dette suggestions:

And his Bach series is off to an excellent start, thought the North set mentioned above is also exceptional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version