Author Topic: Recordings for lute and related instruments  (Read 130707 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings for lute and related instruments
« Reply #500 on: January 01, 2021, 05:10:44 AM »
Milk will like this one, Bach's Cappriccio on the departure of his dearly beloved brother arranged for "backside-guitar" by Simon Steen Anderson -- one of the better modern Bach transcriptions. The guitar is played like a keyboard!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KwtXFOw0XWo&amp;ab_channel=FrancescoPalmieri" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KwtXFOw0XWo&amp;ab_channel=FrancescoPalmieri</a>
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:20:54 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #501 on: January 01, 2021, 07:17:28 AM »
Milk will like this one, Bach's Cappriccio on the departure of his dearly beloved brother arrangered for "backside-guitar" by Simon Steen Anderson -- one of the better modern Bach transcriptions. The guitar is played like a keyboard!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KwtXFOw0XWo&amp;ab_channel=FrancescoPalmieri" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KwtXFOw0XWo&amp;ab_channel=FrancescoPalmieri</a>
That's pretty awesome.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #502 on: January 13, 2021, 12:25:46 AM »
I’m not quite sure where this goes. And it’s hard to place this sound. It’s not quite like anything but I’m not sure yet either.
ETA: this is a beautiful album. If you’re a fan of William Waters’ De Murcia, you’ll like this. I’m not sure it goes here. Maybe yes but also for the guitar forum.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:21:18 AM by milk »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2021, 04:24:46 AM »
this is very rewarding. It’s an attractive sounding-instrument and some very fine music.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: March 07, 2021, 12:28:47 AM »
Crossposting this from the Listening thread:

Piccinini, Alessandro (1566-ca. 1638) - Intabulations for lute & chitarrone, Bks. I and II w/ Luciano Contini and Francesca Torelli (licensed from Tactus) - love those lute/guitar related instruments from this period, such as the chitarrone (looks like the theorbo), archlute, etc. - much more HERE from where the second pic below was located (click to enlarge).  Dave :)

Wonderful recordings!

And I like to point out that Luciano Contini made another solo recording with music by Baroque composer Giovanni Zamboni, originally issued on Symphonia but now available on Glossa:

A must for lute aficionados IMO!  :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #505 on: March 29, 2021, 01:00:24 AM »

Hopkinson Smith shows us a de Rippe whose music goes far beyond the spirit of the brasnle -- I mean the jaunty naive tuneful style that I associate with a show for tourists in a medieval festival in a market place in the south of France. Instead most of the music is full of subtle and organic changes in tempo and rhythm, rich in expressive variety  and interesting, far from straightforward polyphony, yielding surprising textures. He does all this without losing a sense of direction or of inevitable flow or coherence in the transitions. He's wonderful in the fantasias, which seem to be brimming over with inventive surprises. 

Two tangy instruments, a lute and a guitar, well recorded. This is one of those recordings which I can't stop listening to once I start.

Just to reiterate this, since I’m returning to the recording for the first time in a long time. What I’d forgotten is how interesting Albert de Rippe’s music is contrapuntally. This is an excellent CD, as in 2019, once I start I can’t stop.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #506 on: March 29, 2021, 05:45:51 AM »

And somehow I missed this when it was released in 2019. Listening to the first half dozen tracks for the first time with Hopkinson Smith still in my head, as it were, I can say it is more soft and lyrical, more dreamy.  Listening with another approach in mind is never a good idea, so I’ll come back to it in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:48:45 AM by Mandryka »

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #507 on: March 29, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »

And somehow I missed this when it was released in 2019. Listening to the first half dozen tracks for the first time with Hopkinson Smith still in my head, as it were, I can say it is more soft and lyrical, more dreamy.  Listening with another approach in mind is never a good idea, so I’ll come back to it in a couple of weeks.

Hi Mandryka - thanks for the Albert de Rippe recommendations above; just checked Amazon USA and recordings are not available or overpriced (assume OOP) - so decided to setup a Hopkinson Smith playlist on Spotify, mainly JS Bach but w/ the de Rippe recording - listening now to the Bach but the other will come up soon!  Dave :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #508 on: April 15, 2021, 11:12:31 PM »

A performance remarkable for its clarity of the voices and its sureness of the rhythms. The mood of the music is an agreeable blend of melodiousness and seriousness. The guitar is warm and in terms of timbre, it is very uniform in all the registers. The music by Domenico Rainer, which dates from the late c17, has only recently been unearthed in a manuscript by Lex Eisenhardt. Outstanding sound engineering.

Returning to this this morning confirms all that I wrote 18 months or so ago, this is well balanced music: not too simple, not too complex. Eisenhardt is a fabulous musician here IMO.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #509 on: April 18, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »

This bargain 4CD-set by Nigel North, with transcriptions of the cello suites and sonatas & partitas for violin is mighty impressive as well.

Q

Yes the cello suites certainly are impressive.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #510 on: May 26, 2021, 11:12:41 PM »

The internet tells me this was released in 2017 but I’ve only just found it, perhaps it has more recently become easily available out of Japan. Mouton, Visé, Gaultier, all the usual suspects. There’s a lot of chaconnes! It’s very very good, brilliant sound, a sense of space and respiration, zen - control and sound and silence.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #511 on: May 28, 2021, 06:41:03 AM »

I’m not sure what to say about this one. When it came out last year my notes say I thought it was wonderful. Returning to it this week I was underwhelmed, I thought the performances were so reflective it was hard to grasp any structure.  But today, it feels wonderful again. Not a consistent response then. One reason is possibly that Otzbrugger’s style depends very much on the resonances of his instrument, and so to get what he’s about you need to listen on a system which can let you hear all the partials properly. I’m using huge electrostatics today, earlier this week little monitors. More likely it’s just a question of my mood.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:45:05 AM by Mandryka »