The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Recordings for lute and related instruments

<< < (106/113) > >>

Mandryka:

Today I listened maybe for for the first time to the John Johnson half of this CD. I think Genov is a bit matter of fact in this music, if he is doing any major poetic embellishment they sounded so natural to me that I hardly noticed. From my point of view that’s a positive in fact!

The real interesting thing is the music, because it’s apparent that John Johnson wrote a sequence of pavans and galliards which is significant and largely unexplored on record at least - like Bull’s pavans and galliards they’re a hidden gem of English music I think.

There’s an enormous contrast between Johnson and Holborne, by the way - and given that they were contemporaries from the same milieu that makes the recording even more valuable.  A glimpse into the variety of styles in English lute music from the mid 16th century.

aligreto:
Cross post from the Listening Thread:

Vallet: Le Secret Des Muses [O'Dette]

This is an exquisite performance of this wonderfully sounding music. The playing is of the highest order and the recorded sound is very sympathetic to the music in a good recording.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh:
Any good recordings of theorbe, other than those of Visee? Thank you.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 14, 2021, 08:23:59 PM ---Any good recordings of theorbe, other than those of Visee? Thank you.

--- End quote ---

Yes, Fred Jacobs’ Kapsberger CD, and Christopher Wilke’s CD of music by Charles Hurel. Also Simon Linné on Brilliant - some Visée, but not exclusively.

There’s a CD with Jean Marie Poirier and Thierry Meunier called Contreparties which has a lovely duet by Kapsberger on theorbo and guitar - I love it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on November 14, 2021, 09:05:10 PM ---
Yes, Fred Jacobs’ Kapsberger CD, and Christopher Wilke’s CD of music by Charles Hurel. Also Simon Linné on Brilliant - some Visée, but not exclusively.

There’s a CD with Jean Marie Poirier and Thierry Meunier called Contreparties which has a lovely duet by Kapsberger on theorbo and guitar - I love it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot!  I will check them out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version