Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Cross post from the Listening Thread:

John Dowland: Complete Lute Works [O'Dette] CD1

The music is always creative, engaging and entertaining. The playing is always lyrical, assured and refined. The instrument sounds wonderfully mellow and full toned and it is recorded in a very benign acoustic.

Addendum: Aside from the wonderful music and playing CD 1 introduced me to the wonderfully sounding orpharion, an instrument which sounds as intriguing as it looks.

SonicMan46

Question: Has Bach's WTC ever been done on lute or theorbo?

Now, I own plenty of JS Bach on lute, theorbo, guitar, etc., but usually the Sonatas/Partitas or Cello Suites (e.g. I have the 4-CD set of Nigel North doing the works mentioned on lute), and I believe certain Fugues or Preludes from the WTC have been transcribed, but has anyone recorded the two books partially or in their entirety?  Just curious if those works are as adaptable to string instruments vs. the others?  Thanks for any comments - Dave :)

Mandryka

This has been getting a huge amount of airtime at Mandryka Towers. I noticed that the music starts to really take off in pieces by Daniel Bacheler, so I was real happy to see that Paul O'Dette has a whole CD of his music

Also, being so impressed by Lord Cherbery, I thought I'd better explore the honorable peer s bit more, and found this rather nice CD - I remember now when it came out in fact

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2021, 08:45:43 AM
i noticed that you were listening to O'Dette's Dowland, which I've never paid much attention to, despite appreciating O'Dette in Italian music. However your post led me to explore his music on record a bit more widely, and I found this really enjoyable anthology CD

I don't know who Lord Herbert of Cherbury was, but judging by his discerning and broad taste in music, he was a jolly good chap. And the CD made me realise that there was a Gaultier who I must explore more: Jacques.

The Cherbury disc is included in the 5-CD box of O'Dette recordings inserted above - own a couple more discs of him, but my 'Complete Dowland' is a 4-disc set on Naxos w/ Nigel North.  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Listening to these discs this week.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2021, 08:45:43 AM

i noticed that you were listening to O'Dette's Dowland, which I've never paid much attention to, despite appreciating O'Dette in Italian music.

I am finding that Dowland set played by O'Dette to be very compelling. I am forcing myself to stop listening at the end of each CD. I am trying to prolong the initial pleasure of of a new exploration.

Mandryka

Quote from: aligreto on December 11, 2021, 02:36:35 AM
I am finding that Dowland set played by O'Dette to be very compelling. I am forcing myself to stop listening at the end of each CD. I am trying to prolong the initial pleasure of of a new exploration.

You know he also recorded a single Dowland CD for Astrée? I'm listening to the first Harmonia Mundi volume now and it does seem very eloquent and nuanced. Good find!

aligreto

Quote from: Mandryka on December 11, 2021, 08:47:23 AM
You know he also recorded a single Dowland CD for Astrée? I'm listening to the first Harmonia Mundi volume now and it does seem very eloquent and nuanced. Good find!

Cheers. I honestly find that Harmonia Mundi set to be compelling listening.

Mandryka

It turns out that Toyohiko Satoh distributes many CDs through Nostalgia, the label of the Lute and Guitar Society of Japan

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/adv_1/labelcode_%23NOS/

There are some interesting things there, and I'm tempted to place an order despite the high shipping costs to the UK. For the moment he's introduced me to a new compose, W J Lauffensteiner, not through Satoh's recording but the this one which I found on Spotify

What Satoh has made me see is that Austrian lute music is very significant indeed, his own CD of Viennese composers is fabulous.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on December 18, 2021, 09:18:22 PM
It turns out that Toyohiko Satoh distributes many CDs through Nostalgia, the label of the Lute and Guitar Society of Japan

There are some interesting things there, and I'm tempted to place an order despite the high shipping costs to the UK. For the moment he's introduced me to a new compose, W J Lauffensteiner, not through Satoh's recording but the this one which I found on Spotify

What Satoh has made me see is that Austrian lute music is very significant indeed, his own CD of Viennese composers is fabulous.

I downloaded the Viennese Lute Music disc and have been listening to it nonstop. VERY good stuff.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 14, 2021, 07:23:59 PM
Any good recordings of theorbe, other than those of Visee? Thank you.

This

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU4P3YORNUB4JLax5dsg8Ir04HqQvh6Pl

(Really made me prick up my ears - he's also got a fascinating lute recording with Reusner and Froberger.)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 19, 2021, 10:09:30 AM
This

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU4P3YORNUB4JLax5dsg8Ir04HqQvh6Pl

(Really made me prick up my ears - he's also got a fascinating lute recording with Reusner and Froberger.)
'

Thank you, I will check it out!  Btw, I like the recording by Simon Linné you recommended.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Is this the recording in question?  You have good opinion?  Weird (and irrelevant) cover art (I like it.)

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Lute-Classical_000000000057804/item_%E3%80%8E%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%E3%81%AE%E3%83%AA%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E9%9F%B3%E6%A5%BD%E3%80%8F-%E4%BD%90%E8%97%A4%E8%B1%8A%E5%BD%A6_9208854

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 19, 2021, 12:13:39 PM
Yes, it has very much grown on me.

I will check it out. The web site says that Sato used a lute called Laurentius made in 1611!

Mandryka

When I first saw this new release by Martin Shepherd I just assumed it was a first CD by a conservatory student. But when I put it on, it was obvious from the first bar that something most unusual was going on because of the sound of the instrument. It is extraordinarily sweet and refined. The playing too is poetic - nuanced tones and lots of good judgements about how to let the silences in the music come to life. The music, by the way, is mostly c16 transcriptions of vocal pieces by c16 and c15 century century composers, though there are some recarcari too  - very tuneful.  Shepherd's approach is extremely meditative, IMO too extreme, and there's not a lot of relief or contrast in the recording, I don't think it's a CD to be listened to in toto in one session. But for the sound of it, it's worth dipping into.

When I checked I found I'd got it completely wrong. Martin Shepherd is a well established lute maker based in France. Here's his website

https://luteshop.co.uk/

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Yes, I like the recording.

Mandryka

The trick with this one is to get the volume right and to drink a couple of glasses of chianti before listening. If you do both those things, you can convince yourself briefly that it's  the best music in the world. If you don't, it's a bit boring.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on December 23, 2021, 08:03:24 AM

The trick with this one is to get the volume right and to drink a couple of glasses of chianti before listening. If you do both those things, you can convince yourself briefly that it's  the best music in the world. If you don't, it's a bit boring.

I tried listening to this and didn't feel terribly engaged with the music - even with the incredibly fine playing of Luca Pianca. There's something repetitive about Italian lute music of this time that makes it hard for me to enjoy.