The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Recordings for lute and related instruments

<< < (129/130) > >>

Mandryka:

Having rather enjoyed Anthony Bailes’s first recording of Mezangeau on Reflexe yesterday, I thought I’d take the plunge into this. I’m clearly in the mood for French baroque music, so carpe diem, I say. Richter is of course very able to make sense of the music - more spirit and dance than Bailes, but I’m OK with that and it’s probably justifiable  - I just am not so keen on the sound, too close and resonant. That being said, she’s great at timbre, nuance of timbre, and that comes across in the recording.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2020, 08:25:17 PM ---

An attractive performance by Walter Gerwig of a suite attributed to Johann Jakob Hoffer, it makes me hungry to hear more. But who is he? I can’t find anything out about him, and this appears to be the only recording of anything. There is this

But this appears to be music by a different Hoffer - Wolfgang Adam.

--- End quote ---

Walter Gerwig was a German early music pioneer, like Wenzinger and Walcha. He recorded a good deal of music and much of it was transferred to CD, long unavailable. However it is all now streaming - and IMO well worth seeking out . Lots of rarities in it, by the way, not just Johann Jakob Hoffer.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: milk on August 12, 2022, 03:48:08 AM ---
This is something I came across.

--- End quote ---

Can’t get into that, a bit to forcefully projected and a bit to strongly pulsed for me I think - but I may not be doing him justice, I only listened to a handful of tracks.

Started to listen to Jacob Heringman play Hans Neusidler though, and enjoying that more I think.

milk:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on August 18, 2022, 11:07:45 PM ---Can’t get into that, a bit to forcefully projected and a bit to strongly pulsed for me I think - but I may not be doing him justice, I only listened to a handful of tracks.

Started to listen to Jacob Heringman play Hans Neusidler though, and enjoying that more I think.

--- End quote ---
Actually so have I. The Heringman recordings sounds better to start with. It gets better from there. Are there other alternatives? That’s the only one I found.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: milk on August 19, 2022, 01:38:35 AM ---Actually so have I. The Heringman recordings sounds better to start with.

--- End quote ---

There certainly is, you can have it served up iki style

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8428583--narvaez-vs-neusidler

Not to mention Walter Gerwig and Bart Roose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version