Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 28, 2023, 04:57:20 AMI didn't see a dedicated "mandolin" thread, through multiple searches. 

This is big fun:

You don't even have to like Rossini in order to enjoy it, you only have to like the sound of the mandolin(s).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on April 11, 2023, 04:22:57 AMThis is big fun:

You don't even have to like Rossini in order to enjoy it, you only have to like the sound of the mandolin(s).

Thanks Andrei, I will most definitely sample. Plus I do like Rossini overtures.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 11, 2023, 04:25:58 AMThanks Andrei, I will most definitely sample. Plus I do like Rossini overtures.

Then you're in for a treat.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Another nice mandolin recording I came accross:

Abbate Ranieri Capponi (1680 - 1744): 12 Sonate da camera, no. 8 in E Minor and no. 12 in G Major
Niccolo Susier (1679 - 1766): Sonata per mandola
Nicola Romaldi (1680 - 1730): Sonata per mandola
Giovanni Pietro Sesto da Trento: Sonata di mandolino
Francesco Piccone (1685 - 1745): Sinfonia per la mandola in D Minor

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 11, 2023, 05:43:36 AMAnother nice mandolin recording I came accross:

Abbate Ranieri Capponi (1680 - 1744): 12 Sonate da camera, no. 8 in E Minor and no. 12 in G Major
Niccolo Susier (1679 - 1766): Sonata per mandola
Nicola Romaldi (1680 - 1730): Sonata per mandola
Giovanni Pietro Sesto da Trento: Sonata di mandolino
Francesco Piccone (1685 - 1745): Sinfonia per la mandola in D Minor

This looks enticing, thanks for the tip.

Que

And another, with lute and mandolin sonatas:

Brahmsian

Quote from: Que on April 11, 2023, 05:48:40 AMAnd another, with lute and mandolin sonatas:

Que, this one is quite lovely indeed!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Marie Nishiyama plays baroque harp (whatever that is) and Harpsichord. Likable music.

Mandryka

Yes I like Nishiyama's CDs very much - I play the one with Corina Marti quite often.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on April 12, 2023, 07:20:22 PMYes I like Nishiyama's CDs very much - I play the one with Corina Marti quite often.

OMG you know so many Japanese artists!  ;D

Her JSB Inventions and S are very slow, and sound very interesting!

Mandryka

Brahmsian

Ok, one of the most famous classical guitar repertoire pieces is by Francisco Tárrega.  The Recuerdos de la Alhambra. When I hear this piece, I cannot help thinking it seems to be the perfect piece for the mandolin.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 12, 2023, 07:20:22 PMYes I like Nishiyama's CDs very much - I play the one with Corina Marti quite often.

I very much like the three CDs she has made together with Corina Marti and others. So prompted by you I have purchased the Tañer Fantasía (and the Bach toccatas). And I have her CÛ II and Inventions on my wishlist.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 13, 2023, 04:54:36 AMOk, one of the most famous classical guitar repertoire pieces is by Francisco Tárrega.  The Recuerdos de la Alhambra. When I hear this piece, I cannot help thinking it seems to be the perfect piece for the mandolin.

Definitely mandolin and lute. Maybe piano and trumpet as well.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on April 13, 2023, 02:06:36 AMWhatever it is John Potter's just sold one

https://www.john-potter.co.uk/blog/2022/10/08/books/

I think I'm in love with the sound of midlevel/baroque harps. Sometimes they sound like santour- Iranian instrument.
For those interested, the below is a YT list of Marie Nishiyama's videos.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlS-Qar1-9xe7mZe6otl7Eo0qFheWiWVb

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 13, 2023, 09:10:04 AMI think I'm in love with the sound of midlevel/baroque harps. Sometimes they sound like santour- Iranian instrument.
For those interested, the below is a YT list of Marie Nishiyama's videos.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlS-Qar1-9xe7mZe6otl7Eo0qFheWiWVb

Benjamin Bagby is your man. See if you can find the Sequentia CD Lost Songs of a Rheinland Harper. His Beowulf too.

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on April 13, 2023, 05:24:03 AMI very much like the three CDs she has made together with Corina Marti and others. So prompted by you I have purchased the Tañer Fantasía (and the Bach toccatas). And I have her CÛ II and Inventions on my wishlist.

If you enjoy Vartolo's melancholy and noble and reflective Scarlatti on harpsichord, then you will also enjoy Nishyama's. I am very impressed by it. The Vartolo influence seems so strong I wonder if she worked with him.

https://www.discogs.com/master/2961415-Domenico-Scarlatti-Marie-Nishiyama-El-Mago-Del-Clave-Sonatas

https://open.spotify.com/album/3BHD5qijbzs35F4L3oMTqC

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 13, 2023, 07:23:25 PMIf you enjoy Vartolo's melancholy and noble and reflective Scarlatti on harpsichord, then you will also enjoy Nishyama's. I am very impressed by it. The Vartolo influence seems so strong I wonder if she worked with him.

I enjoyed her Bach toccatas yesterday. She plays with a nice amount of imagination without loosing the thread. So I am going to get the CÜ II and inventions too, and also the Scarlatti. As you know I prefer my Scarlatti less brilliant and more reflective. Thanks for the recommendation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on April 14, 2023, 03:29:45 AMI enjoyed her Bach toccatas yesterday. She plays with a nice amount of imagination without loosing the thread. So I am going to get the CÜ II and inventions too, and also the Scarlatti. As you know I prefer my Scarlatti less brilliant and more reflective. Thanks for the recommendation.

I won't buy any of those because I can hear them streaming, but I will make an effort to find her English Suites - so far the only source I can see is here

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/KCD-2065

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Today's and yesterday's listen. I love the sound of clavisimbalum as well. Exotic and mysterious sound. I just wish its name were shorter.