Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 09, 2018, 12:46:45 AM
Definitely a lutenist worth trying. :)
And the high recording quality on Ramée is a nice bonus.
I also have this recording by him, that I've enjoyed very much:

[asin]B000Y35260[/asin]
Q

I remember enjoying one of his earlier recordings of French music, called Une Douceur Violente.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on February 08, 2018, 11:46:33 PM
Hadn't got to that one yet, but it seems not generally loved.....

I can recommend this recording with music by Michelagnolo Galilei, the brother of Galileo.

[asin]B00HSOXLHU[/asin]

Surperb disc... Anthony Bailes has a rather soft spoken style that combines elegance with plenty of expression.

Hi Que - thanks for the recommendation above - read three excellent reviews (attached) and purchased on Amazon already - had to own at least one recording from the Galilei family!   Dave :)

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2018, 07:54:27 AM
I recently revisited Sandro Volta's Kapsberger, I think the music is really wonderful, at least as conceived on that recording.
I don't have anything by Sandro Volta. Maybe I'll remedy that. Hmm...why can't I get into Dowland? Should I try harder? Who created the most lute music, Dowland or Weiss (or somebody else)? It may be time for a top 5 composers for the lute, unless it exists already.

premont

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2018, 02:05:04 PM
I don't have anything by Sandro Volta. Maybe I'll remedy that. Hmm...why can't I get into Dowland? Should I try harder? Who created the most lute music, Dowland or Weiss (or somebody else)? It may be time for a top 5 composers for the lute, unless it exists already.

Dowland's lute music is not necessarily the most accessible of his oevre. Try his consort music and songs instead to get into Dowland as such.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 09, 2018, 02:59:08 PM
Dowland's lute music is not necessarily the most accessible of his oevre. Try his consort music and songs instead to get into Dowland as such.
Right. I think I like some of his consort music.

milk

I was going to start a polling topic on favorite lute or lute-related composers or genre but I pooped out. Maybe here is better to say more. I love lute, Vihuela and baroque guitar music recently. I'm not sure what I like best. There's lots of great Spanish stuff. Santiago de Murcia is excellent. The French stuff, like by Gaultier, Gallot and Mouton is great (Lislevand's La belle homicide is great). I love some of the early Italian music a lot too. Christopher Wilson's "Early Venetian Lute music" is a standout. So, what are your favorites?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 08, 2018, 02:27:18 PM

Listening to this at the moment.

Quote from: milk on February 08, 2018, 03:02:30 PM
It's kind of a challenge in that way. So far, I find it hypnotically flat and, yeah, maybe dry. I'm still intrigued by it. It reminds me of Frescobaldi in a way.

It's as least as good as Willaert and Luszzaschi, I suspect it will repay repeated listening, I very much like the sobriety of it.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2018, 09:32:44 PM
It's as least as good as Willaert and Luszzaschi, I suspect it will repay repeated listening, I very much like the sobriety of it.
I kind of thought you would like this. For me, I find it intriguing. I'm very interested in music so flat as this. I didn't know the two you mention. I wanna check them. This kind of music is taciturn that I find something mysterious and interesting in it. I've been trying it late at night. I want to hear more like this. I also like how dense this music is, in terms of counterpoint.     

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2018, 09:38:22 PM
I kind of thought you would like this. For me, I find it intriguing. I'm very interested in music so flat as this. I didn't know the two you mention. I wanna check them. This kind of music is taciturn that I find something mysterious and interesting in it. I've been trying it late at night. I want to hear more like this. I also like how dense this music is, in terms of counterpoint.   

Willaert and Luszzaschi wrote keyboard music, I think Willaert invented the ricercar in fact, Glen Wilson recorded some of it on his Cavazzoni CD and there's a Stradivarius CD with a lot of his instrumental music. Luszzaschi was Frescobaldi's teacher, Matteo Mesori recorded a lot of his keyboard music.

Que

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2018, 05:52:57 AM

I'm surprised by how unique Kapsberger's music is, compared to other lute music I've been listening to. It stands out. I'm not sure how to describe it. It really must be the beginning of baroque although he's quite early. I hear some (influences on) Bach in places too. This is going to be a favorite. Very inventive.

Sofar my favourite recording by O'Dette!  :)

Q

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2018, 11:03:49 PM
Willaert and Luszzaschi wrote keyboard music, I think Willaert invented the ricercar in fact, Glen Wilson recorded some of it on his Cavazzoni CD and there's a Stradivarius CD with a lot of his instrumental music. Luszzaschi was Frescobaldi's teacher, Matteo Mesori recorded a lot of his keyboard music.
Quote from: (: premont :) on February 10, 2018, 04:46:53 AM
Willi Apel considers Girolamo Cavazzoni to be the "father" of the imitative keyboard ricercare.

https://books.google.dk/books?id=rRvj70n4yY0C&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=ricercare+history&source=bl&ots=_7JulJgvvp&sig=RjTkpV4VVjKQIP0ciu3Cfz0FZFE&hl=da&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnvuj6u5vZAhWTasAKHeZMDqkQ6AEIYDAH#v=onepage&q=ricercare%20history&f=false
I'll have to check this out. I want to get to investigating recordings of the older/oldest organs. But I'm stuck in a lute/vihuela/baroque guitar loop now. I acquired so much lute stuff recently but the Galilei, for better or worse, is unique for it's dry, strict, slow, contrapuntal quality. I want something more like this. 

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 09, 2018, 11:11:16 PM
Sofar my favourite recording by O'Dette!  :)

Q

This is well balanced. Sane without being too sober, joyful without being over exhilarating, this recording makes me think of Aristotle's Golden Mean and Rubinstein's Chopin.

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2018, 05:52:57 AM

I'm surprised by how unique Kapsberger's music is, compared to other lute music I've been listening to. It stands out. I'm not sure how to describe it. It really must be the beginning of baroque although he's quite early. I hear some (influences on) Bach in places too. This is going to be a favorite. Very inventive.

To me this is quintessentially, almost charicaturally, a renaissance style of interpretation. You'll find Sandro Volta more psychological, darker and indeed more complex emotionally,  more passionate, more relishing the resonances of the instrument - especially the chitarrone. More like Pletnev's Chopin. 

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2018, 09:38:22 PM

Try and get hold of the Bakfark fantasies by Daniel Benko's banjo lute recording. Also maybe Joachim Held's recording called Nach Willen Dein, I managed to get my copy directly from the ORF website.

milk

https://www.youtube.com/v/-9DLxz2UR9M
The first few notes of this reminds me of something and I can't think of what it is...is it Bach? I can't place it...

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 10, 2018, 04:08:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/v/-9DLxz2UR9M
The first few notes of this reminds me of something and I can't think of what it is...is it Bach? I can't place it...
Froberger Tombeau for Blancrocher maybe.

milk

Mandryka

I like this Luys de Narváez recording by José Akel on laúd very much, lively and imaginative and very contrapuntal and passionate. Can anyone help me to find a decent transfer, a lossless download or CD? I have it through spotify only, which I know is not a good thing.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 10, 2018, 10:44:54 PM
You could order it from Argentina....

https://www.clubdeldisco.com/resena/677_jose-akel_el-delfin-de-arion

Q

I tried it last week Que, but they haven't replied. I also tried to get in touch with José Akel, but no joy.