Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

I've decided to list which recordings have impressed me the most so far in my journey through this genre:

This Venetian Lute music recording is a real standout from the other early Italian surveys I have.

This recording by Moreno is a very appealing program and it sounds beautiful.

Above is an ensemble performance that's full of joy and fun.

Another ensemble production that can't be missed by those who love the genre of early Spanish revelry.

I think the Ozmo recording has an obsessive quality that may not appeal to everyone.
I want to mention Barto's Weiss of which I have Vol. 1, 2 and 5.
By edit, I've added this one too:

milk

This one has a "banjo-ish" sound that I usually don't favor. But here, it's really grown on me. It's rustic - as is the music. It's not gourmet French but more like country cooking but retaining that every-day-is-a-rainy-day French mentality.

milk

This music is surprisingly rich and evocative. This is my first exposure to Piccinini. There's a lot to love in his music. It's varied and inventive. He must have been greatly respected. I don't think I've heard much of North even though I know he's a bigwig. I have to say he really expresses something in every moment. I think he's a great musician. I'm not sure what to call his style but he seems to deeply understand this music.

San Antone

Quote from: milk on February 12, 2018, 08:16:39 PM

I think the Ozmo recording has an obsessive quality that may not appeal to everyone.

I am going to give this recording another shot. 

milk

Quote from: San Antone on February 15, 2018, 05:09:06 AM
I am going to give this recording another shot.
It's a little dry. I listen to it almost as a fetish. I fall asleep to it because it almost lacks a strong sense of personality to be jarring. I've been collecting lots of lute stuff lately and I can't say I have anything quite like it. Still, I like something about it. It's remote. Some might find it boring. The playing is very direct and without much variation.     

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 15, 2018, 04:52:09 AM

This one has a "banjo-ish" sound that I usually don't favor. But here, it's really grown on me. It's rustic - as is the music. It's not gourmet French but more like country cooking but retaining that every-day-is-a-rainy-day French mentality.

This one has really grown on me with repeated listening, I hope you have the same positive experiences with it. Initially I was repelled by the banjo, and the slight sense of banjo in a bathroom,  but now I think it's absolutely right for style brisé. The timbres of the different strings are so distinct, the way that phrases are spread across the strings, it's like the Gaultier anticipated Webern's Klangfarbenmelodie.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 15, 2018, 05:31:07 AM
This one has really grown on me with repeated listening, I hope you have the same positive experiences with it. Initially I was repelled by the banjo, and the slight sense of banjo in a bathroom,  but now I think it's absolutely right for style brisé.
Yes. It's really grown on me. This lutenist doesn't seem to have any or many other recordings. I think he's hit the mark. But it took me a while to feel this way about it. 

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 15, 2018, 05:35:07 AM
Yes. It's really grown on me. This lutenist doesn't seem to have any or many other recordings. I think he's hit the mark. But it took me a while to feel this way about it.

He has excellent recordings of Dufaut and Denis Gaultier, I can upload them for you if you want. His website's interesting, I get the impression he's very respected indeeed in the world of French lute.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 12, 2018, 08:16:39 PM

By edit, I've added this one too:

I very much like the lute and harpsichord duet Catherine Liddell recorded with Linda Burman-Hall for Wildboar, the whole CD is great IMO, and the music is rare and too quality.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 15, 2018, 10:20:42 PM
I very much like the lute and harpsichord duet Catherine Liddell recorded with Linda Burman-Hall for Wildboar, the whole CD is great IMO, and the music is rare and too quality.
That sounds like an attractive pairing. I sent you a pm BTW.  :) I wonder if I need more French Lute music. Or, if I should try to remedy my aversion to the English (like Dowland). I always have an initial resistance to English much which I can overcome.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 15, 2018, 10:44:30 PM
That sounds like an attractive pairing. I sent you a pm BTW.  :) I wonder if I need more French Lute music. Or, if I should try to remedy my aversion to the English (like Dowland). I always have an initial resistance to English much which I can overcome.

I think you need Bakfark.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 15, 2018, 11:07:43 PM
I think you need Bakfark.
Transylvanian? Sounds exotic. I'll take a look! What do you recommend? Edit: Looks like Daniel Benko is the one...

milk

I decided to listen to this today and it's growing on me, slowly, as English music does. One thing that perplexes me about this is that on some tracks O'dette's lute has different sound, a unique sound from both the sound on other tracks and all my other lute recordings. There are a few tracks on which the lute has a pleasingly resonant timbre that seems curious to me. Can someone explain this? I shall try Nigel North's Dowland as well.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 16, 2018, 02:08:46 AM

I decided to listen to this today and it's growing on me, slowly, as English music does. One thing that perplexes me about this is that on some tracks O'dette's lute has different sound, a unique sound from both the sound on other tracks and all my other lute recordings. There are a few tracks on which the lute has a pleasingly resonant timbre that seems curious to me. Can someone explain this? I shall try Nigel North's Dowland as well.

I don't know that one, but let me take the liberty of mentioning an English banjo  lute CD which I like very much

Rooley is like the young Egarr in my opinion, the Egarr of Froberger - a sort of unaffected commitment, flat but beguiling, he just seems to lead you gently and firmly  through the music with no shenanigans or monkey business. Once I start listening to this one I can't stop!

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2018, 05:03:37 AM
I don't know that one, but let me take the liberty of mentioning an English banjo  lute CD which I like very much

Rooley is like the young Egarr in my opinion, the Egarr of Froberger - a sort of unaffected commitment, flat but beguiling, he just seems to lead you gently and firmly  through the music with no shenanigans or monkey business. Once I start listening to this one I can't stop!
I'll give it a shot. It's hard for me to stick with the English. The French, Italian and Germans suck me in. The English just seem pleasant. But let me keep at it. And try your suggestion.

Mandryka

Well I don't say that the music's as good as Froberger's!

Some people think that there was a big influence of French music on English, via Mesangeau. There's a CD which explores this idea a bit by Bailes, called Old Gaultier's Nightingale (I'm not keen on his soft and I think egotistical style, but other people seem to like what he does!) The key English lute composer as far as Bailes is concerned is Thomas Mace. He may be someone well worth checking out, though I'm not sure there's anything outstanding performance wise on record. I can tell the music's rather good though.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2018, 06:45:15 AM
Well I don't say that the music's as good as Froberger's!

Some people think that there was a big influence of French music on English, via Mesangeau. There's a CD which explores this idea a bit by Bailes, called Old Gaultier's Nightingale (I'm not keen on his soft and I think egotistical style, but other people seem to like what he does!) The key English lute composer as far as Bailes is concerned is Thomas Mace. He may be someone well worth checking out, though I'm not sure there's anything outstanding performance wise on record. I can tell the music's rather good though.
It's important for me to get around to it. Suddenly I feel Lute music is a vast ocean well-worth traversing.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 15, 2018, 05:08:08 AM
This music is surprisingly rich and evocative. This is my first exposure to Piccinini. There's a lot to love in his music. It's varied and inventive. He must have been greatly respected. I don't think I've heard much of North even though I know he's a bigwig. I have to say he really expresses something in every moment. I think he's a great musician. I'm not sure what to call his style but he seems to deeply understand this music.

I'd say Paul Beier's Piccinini is as revealing as his Reusner. I'm coming to the conclusion that Beier is a very great musician.

I've managed to find it on Spotify, but not losslessly either as a download or as a CD. If anyone sees it losslessly at an affordable price please let me know.

milk

Trying this one out presently. Edit: Corbetta is an interesting character. He travelled very widely and taught de Visee. I think Conte is a fine musician. This is rather serene music and played with sensitivity on an historic beautiful sounding guitar.

milk

Another one I'm checking out today. This is mostly from a book of guitar music by de Murcia that was only discovered in 2006. I didn't know this ensemble but the sound is excellent and the spirit of the arrangements is not so different from what one might expect from Lislevand. It's got different unique and raucous-sounding period-percussion throughout. Pitzl is playing a copy of the a Stradivarius guitar.