Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinbrulé

Quote from: milk on March 22, 2018, 07:26:04 AM
Interesting. I'm listening to the Beier now.
Don't forget Konrad Junghaenel on DHM Baroque Esprit (1 cd) , in particular the Suite in D major , which is not included in the Beier collection because it doesn't belong to  "Deliciae Testudinis" , but is part of  "Neue Laute-Fruechte" .
Strangely it doesn't exist a complete recording of the "Neue Laute-Fruechte" , which is widely considered Reusner's masterpiece !

milk

Quote from: Vinbrulé on March 23, 2018, 12:33:51 AM
Don't forget Konrad Junghaenel on DHM Baroque Esprit (1 cd) , in particular the Suite in D major , which is not included in the Beier collection because it doesn't belong to  "Deliciae Testudinis" , but is part of  "Neue Laute-Fruechte" .
Strangely it doesn't exist a complete recording of the "Neue Laute-Fruechte" , which is widely considered Reusner's masterpiece !
I decided to go for Satoh's partial recording of Neue Laute-Fruechte. This was easier to find as a download. Satoh's lute sounds similar to the one's he's used previously. I like his choice but it might not be for everyone.

milk

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on March 23, 2018, 12:33:51 AM

I like Junghaenel's Reusner very much.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Vinbrulé

Quote from: milk on March 23, 2018, 01:10:54 AM
I decided to go for Satoh's partial recording of Neue Laute-Fruechte. This was easier to find as a download. Satoh's lute sounds similar to the one's he's used previously. I like his choice but it might not be for everyone.
I think it is the same instrument he uses in his DeVisee recording : a Laurentius Greiff lute built in 1611 (but in the DeVisee disc they write '1610')
No doubt Satoh is a great artist , but you have to get used to his tempi (and his silences between the notes) and the particular tone of this very old instrument :  I remember having a great difficulty when listening to Satoh in the DeVisee CD : then I resolved myself to open a bottle of a red wine named "Giuseppe Verdi" and drink a glass of it.  Well, I must admit that , since then, Satoh began to appear to me more and more interesting, and friendly  :P :P :P :P :P :P

San Antone

Pretty sure this recording has already been mentioned here.  I am listening to it right now and enjoying it.

Ludovico Roncalli : Works for Guitar
Hideki Yamaya, baroque guitar

Mandryka

I like the Reusner by Satoh, Beier, Junghaenel and Richter very much. Has anyone had a chance to form a view of the complete Reusner from William Waters in Brilliant Classics?

Vinbrulé

Quote from: Mandryka on March 23, 2018, 08:19:43 AM
I like the Reusner by Satoh, Beier, Junghaenel and Richter very much. Has anyone had a chance to form a view of the complete Reusner from William Waters in Brilliant Classics?
I've ordered it from Ebay , after some positive listening on Deezer.  Of course it is difficult to evaluate the sound quality with the built-in speakers of the PC , but it seems not bad to me.  These suites were first published as "Deliciae testudinis" and reprinted later with another title. Then  there is  the other Reusner's opus named  "Neue Laute Fruchte"  (13 suites)  not included in this Brilliant double.  Great music this man gave to us !!

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on March 27, 2018, 08:56:45 AM
  Great music this man gave to us !!

This is so very true!

By the way I downloaded this yesterday, it's not well recorded but his approach is not uninteresting. He enjoys letting the strings resonate, he plays poetically, I mean expressively, with lots of emotional sensitive and marked differences in feeling  between fast and slow movements. Mouton also gave us great music!

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on March 27, 2018, 09:33:57 AM
This is so very true!

By the way I downloaded this yesterday, it's not well recorded but his approach is not uninteresting. He enjoys letting the strings resonate, he plays poetically, I mean expressively, with lots of emotional sensitivity between fast and slow movements. Mouton also gave us great music!

I have the CD and never noticed any issue with the recording quality... great performance!  :)

Quote from: Que on January 01, 2014, 12:25:23 AM

Opening the year with lute music by Charles Mouton (1626-1710). History tells us that he was one of the greatest French lutenists ever. Well, his music is accordingly and the performance by Italian Franco Pavan is amazing.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on March 27, 2018, 11:19:43 AM
I have the CD and never noticed any issue with the recording quality... great performance!  :)

I wonder what's going on with me, I seem to be becoming over sensitive about sound. I never used to be like that.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on March 27, 2018, 10:18:05 PM
I suspect it's the quality of the downloads....  ::)

Contrary to general wisdom any degree of compression affects the quality. Only lossless fomats will do IMO.

Q

I have a lossless download. I think part of it is that it's too closely recorded for me, as if my perspective is the performer's. The issue is exacerbated because Pavan likes to let is hear the lute strings sustain. I like the performances, by the way.

Vinbrulé

Quote from: Que on March 27, 2018, 10:18:05 PM
I suspect it's the quality of the downloads....  ::)

Contrary to general wisdom any degree of compression affects the quality. Only lossless fomats will do IMO.

Q
This thing terrifies me :  the "physical" CD is in danger of extinction ??  I even sent a mail to Franco Pavan asking where could I find a copy of this disc (beautiful IMO) , he told me he would do research ......... nothing.   Very sad  :( :( :( :( 

Que

Quote from: Vinbrulé on March 27, 2018, 11:39:57 PM
This thing terrifies me :  the "physical" CD is in danger of extinction ??  I even sent a mail to Franco Pavan asking where could I find a copy of this disc (beautiful IMO) , he told me he would do research ......... nothing.   Very sad  :( :( :( :(

I have the CD, and have now and then seen it offered on Amazon or ebay.

But the label tiny with a very low degree of proliferation.... I'll keep an eye out... :)

Q

milk

Quote from: milk on March 23, 2018, 02:38:21 AM

I'm giving this a go...
This is a treasure trove of music - lovely for a sunny afternoon. Xavier Díaz-Latorre is a sensitive musician and he gives us over 3 hours of music. It's nice to have so much of Francisco Guerau, who wrote such quality guitar compositions. For me, the best of baroque guitar consists of De Murcia, Sanz and Francisco Guerau.

Vinbrulé

Quote from: Marcabru on March 16, 2018, 06:42:35 AM
This recording has been discussed here -

It might be what you're looking for.
I was looking for some interesting contrappunti or ricercari. I found some in a CD from Agorà label :  https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vincenzo_galilei/works_for_lute__massimo_lonardi___ugo_nastrucci_/
The registered sound is not first class , for my taste ,  and there is not a fair balance between the two instruments (when two lutes are requested to play together) -
Performances could be more lively and exciting .... but perhaps Vincenzo Galilei did not want to give listeners liveliness and excitement !!!
The more contrapunctal works are surely worth listening.

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on April 01, 2018, 04:48:12 AM
I was looking for some interesting contrappunti or ricercari. I found some in a CD from Agorà label :  https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vincenzo_galilei/works_for_lute__massimo_lonardi___ugo_nastrucci_/
The registered sound is not first class , for my taste ,  and there is not a fair balance between the two instruments (when two lutes are requested to play together) -
Performances could be more lively and exciting .... but perhaps Vincenzo Galilei did not want to give listeners liveliness and excitement !!!
The more contrapunctal works are surely worth listening.

I'd very much like to hear that Lonardi CD, I like his poetic style. For Vincenzo Galilei I like the CD by Andrea Damiani most.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 01, 2018, 06:34:56 AM
I'd very much like to hear that Lonardi CD, I like his poetic style. For Vincenzo Galilei I like the CD by Andrea Damiani most.
I didn't know about Damiani. I'm looking forward to this. I want to see what someone else does with Vincenzo. E.T.A: yes this is wonderful. I like the abstract. etherial, quality to this music, but Damiani also brings an earthiness to it. Compared to Ozmo, there's more vulnerability and love in Damiani.

Mandryka

Toru Sakurada is an angel, this is a recording of an angel playing a vihuela.

Sometimes you find a performance which totally disarms all criticism. That is the case for Toru Sakurada's Narváez. He has the knack of getting to the very cantabile heaven of the music, and his extraordinary skill at making the vihuela sing is what is so disarming. This siren song, seductive siren song, is just soooooooooo beautiful that all the knee jerk critical responses (over-simplify, well behaved . . . ) are just words, words, words in the face of this angelic purity.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 11, 2018, 12:07:08 AM

Toru Sakurada is an angel, this is a recording of an angel playing a vihuela.

Sometimes you find a performance which totally disarms all criticism. That is the case for Toru Sakurada's Narváez. He has the knack of getting to the very cantabile heaven of the music, and his extraordinary skill at making the vihuela sing is what is so disarming. This siren song, seductive siren song, is just soooooooooo beautiful that all the knee jerk critical responses (over-simplify, well behaved . . . ) are just words, words, words in the face of this angelic purity.
I'm game! I certainly can't resist that kind of report!