Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Seems like GMG is finally working for a few minutes tonight. I purchased Rumsey's Spanish and Italian renaissance recordings. Excellent. It's the kind of singing I can put up with (I hate opera). I'm liking it more and more.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on April 29, 2018, 02:11:14 AM

Seems like GMG is finally working for a few minutes tonight. I purchased Rumsey's Spanish and Italian renaissance recordings. Excellent. It's the kind of singing I can put up with (I hate opera). I'm liking it more and more.

There's a lightness, subtlety and delicacy about her lute playing which I like a lot. Maybe you'll enjoy her Francesco de Milano with Christopher Wilson, I do.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 29, 2018, 03:51:29 AM
There's a lightness, subtlety and delicacy about her lute playing which I like a lot. Maybe you'll enjoy her Francesco de Milano with Christopher Wilson, I do.
I want to get that too. Would her style be termed "cantabile"? Yes: very soft. I think I like "flatness" as a musical quality. Like a fresco.

Vinbrulé

Quote from: milk on April 25, 2018, 03:57:53 AM
I'm going to check this out!!!!
Meanwhile, for solo baroque guitar, this 20-year old recordings is really something special. I don't know how to explain it exactly but there's a real difference between Smith, who really makes magic and has a strong view of the music and a natural feel, and some of the lesser known players who approach this repertoire more like "guitarists" and, IMO, fail by doing so. When I hear someone showing off I get turned off. But Smith is a true artist I think.   

You think well right. Smith stands in a category apart.  Looking around, from Francesco da Milano to Weiss, he excels in everything he does . We don't have, up to now, his version of Reusner's music.  But this guy Joel van Lennep builds instruments for Hopkinson only ?  No other player uses his (beautiful) instruments, I see !!

P.S.  I have some difficulties in connecting to this site, sometimes it is impossible.  Is it just a problem of mine ?

Vinbrulé

Has anyone tried this CD  ?

milk

Quote from: Vinbrulé on May 13, 2018, 03:11:13 AM
I can only get on this site about 5 minutes a day via macbook.
For Dufaut, I have Louis Pernot. It's quite good but I haven't heard the one you're asking about.

Moonfish

Quote from: milk on May 13, 2018, 04:27:00 AM
I can only get on this site about 5 minutes a day via macbook.
For Dufaut, I have Louis Pernot. It's quite good but I haven't heard the one you're asking about.

Milk,
Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 in the network settings on your macbook.
It worked perfectly for me - I haven't seen a "cannot find the site" screen since then.  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Whatever happened to Robert Barto's longterm recordings of Weiss' Lute Sonatas? The last volume (#11) was released in 2012 and there has been no new recordings since then.  His Weiss albums have been a revelation and opened up some fantastic music for me. They have been a staple in my home ever since the first volume more than ten years ago. Is he still recording?

[asin] B006O51CRU[/asin]

https://www.youtube.com/v/nVyI-lm_qlE
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

milk

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 10:52:15 AM
Milk,
Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 in the network settings on your macbook.
It worked perfectly for me - I haven't seen a "cannot find the site" screen since then.  0:)
I have a catch - which is that I live in Japan and use a proxy service to enable me to access certain things. That service claims GMG should work. I cannot change my DNS because of this service. I do find that GMG is hard to access in Japan at other locations too.

North Star

Quote from: milk on May 13, 2018, 01:45:41 PM
I have a catch - which is that I live in Japan and use a proxy service to enable me to access certain things. That service claims GMG should work. I cannot change my DNS because of this service. I do find that GMG is hard to access in Japan at other locations too.
Often (as right now) when the site isn't working for me, turning on virtual private network on my browser (Opera) works. Could be worth a try for you too maybe?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Quote from: North Star on May 13, 2018, 02:15:22 PM
Often (as right now) when the site isn't working for me, turning on virtual private network on my browser (Opera) works. Could be worth a try for you too maybe?
Thanks! I'll look into it!

Spineur

Mr Avi Avital got an Echoclassic award for this Vivaldi disc

[asin]B00RD7Q0OI[/asin]

It may be a commercial affair, but I thought it may be worth checking and I ordered it.

Vinbrulé

I'm listening just now this very pleasant CD .

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on May 13, 2018, 03:11:13 AM

I shall listen soon, and post any ideas, but I'm tempted to say that Pernot's so good it's the only Dufaut I really need! In fact I started to listen to Heinrich and switched after a couple of tracks to Pernot - not that that means anything negative about Henrich.

Moonfish

Lately I have very much been enjoying Miguel Serduora (aka Miguel Yisrael) as a soloist.

https://www.youtube.com/v/gAZneMKVHIw
Anna Lappé

Vinbrulé

Quote from: Mandryka on May 14, 2018, 10:03:33 AM
I shall listen soon, and post any ideas, but I'm tempted to say that Pernot's so good it's the only Dufaut I really need! In fact I started to listen to Heinrich and switched after a couple of tracks to Pernot - not that that means anything negative about Henrich.
Louis Pernot 's  Dufaut and Denis Gautier are absolute benchmarks.  Considering that Dufaut was Reusner's teacher (they say) I asked myself why Pernot has never faced Reusner's music.  (Yes, I know, I am a bit fixed on Reusner  :D :D :D :D )

Vinbrulé

Perhaps I'm going off-topic , but would like to signal this CD of transcriptions for guitar duo of beautiful music by Frederic Mompou .  The originals are for piano, which I also like , but this is even better !! 

Mandryka

And I've started to explore the delicate, subtle music of Guillaume Morlaye

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 16, 2018, 09:14:47 PM
And I've started to explore the delicate, subtle music of Guillaume Morlaye

This is a great pick. Wonderful clarity in the playing and the sound quality is nice despite how old this is. I think I like this composer better than Mudarra even.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on May 18, 2018, 02:19:18 AM
This is a great pick. Wonderful clarity in the playing and the sound quality is nice despite how old this is. I think I like this composer better than Mudarra even.

There are three solo things on Qobuz from Marincola: Morlaye, Holborne and Capirola - he makes all three sound like they wrote top class music.

Does anyone have Paul Odette's recording of Guillaume Morlaye, called Tablatures de Leut?  If so, I'd appreciate it if they'd upload it for me, it's very hard to get at a reasonable price.