Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinbrulé

There are some fine pieces by Morlaye in this CD of Charles-Edouard Fantin ( Societè Francaise de Luth )

milk

revisiting this one...the compositions and performance are both lovely.

Omicron9

A big +1 here.  Still hoping for more volumes in this collection.

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 11:06:47 AM
Whatever happened to Robert Barto's longterm recordings of Weiss' Lute Sonatas? The last volume (#11) was released in 2012 and there has been no new recordings since then.  His Weiss albums have been a revelation and opened up some fantastic music for me. They have been a staple in my home ever since the first volume more than ten years ago. Is he still recording?

[asin] B006O51CRU[/asin]

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Que

Quote from: milk on May 21, 2018, 05:13:24 AM
revisiting this one...the compositions and performance are both lovely.

I've greatly enjoyed this recording  by Luciano Contini (previously on Symphonia):

[asin]B00IIZ28A4[/asin]

Q

milk

milk

Absolutely mesmerizing music. I think this is the first English music I've immediatly loved.

Que

Quote from: milk on May 25, 2018, 04:53:15 AM

Absolutely mesmerizing music. I think this is the first English music I've immediatly loved.

Love that recording.! :)

And this.... (even more)

[asin]B00008Y3VF[/asin]
Q

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on May 25, 2018, 04:53:15 AM

His touch (or do lutenists say pluck?) is so sweet, that combined with the serious manner, and a way of avoiding any sentimentality, makes the Holborne part of this pretty special. I've not so far managed to get into the Robinson.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 25, 2018, 07:57:52 AM
Love that recording.! :)

And this.... (even more)

[asin]B00008Y3VF[/asin]
Q

I started to listen to this recording today when I say your post, and once again I was impressed by Christopher Wilson's sweet touch, and his modest, natural, unintrusive way with the music. The only other Johnson I've heard is from Yavor Genov, on an interesting Brilliant release. Genov is more dramatic than Wilson, and he plays the silences more.

milk

this is a sensitive performance by Cherici. I'm a little surprised by how good the work of Francesco Canova is. It's very mournful and moving music. I'm confused about the justification for some of da Milano on vihuela though I love how it sounds. Actually, the lute on this has quite a "guitarish" timber. All in all, this is a good find.

Vinbrulé

I started listening to this CD .
Transcriptions of vocal music for lute duo .
Spinacino's pieces are instead intended for lute duo.
Registered sound of good quality, not over-inflated.
I like it very much !

San Antone

New from Brilliant, John Johnson and Anthony Holborne

Yavor Genov, lute

Brian

Listening to Axel Wolf's new Michelangelo Galilei recital right now. It is delightful, intricate music, as one would expect from someone whose brother was Galileo. The music takes lots of little twists and turns. There is an awful lot of performance noise, squeaks, finger sounds, etc., so potential buyers should be aware of that caveat.

milk

Quote from: Vinbrulé on May 27, 2018, 03:35:05 AM
I started listening to this CD .
Transcriptions of vocal music for lute duo .
Spinacino's pieces are instead intended for lute duo.
Registered sound of good quality, not over-inflated.
I like it very much !
Thanks. I'm enjoying this. I have to say I've also been enjoying all the output of Christopher Wilson I could get my hands on.
This, for example:

Vinbrulé

This guy named Pascal Monteilhet , after a series of remarkable (IMO) discs ,  retired from the scenes and established himself in a tropical island , Philippines or so.  A desert island ?  I don't think  :D     
His Bach suites performed on the theorbo made me happy some time ago, and his De Visee as well.
Didn't know this CD with music by Gallot ,  wonderful music performed in a evocative way, and very well recorded.

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on June 01, 2018, 03:20:39 AM
This guy named Pascal Monteilhet , after a series of remarkable (IMO) discs ,  retired from the scenes and established himself in a tropical island , Philippines or so.  A desert island ?  I don't think  :D     
His Bach suites performed on the theorbo made me happy some time ago, and his De Visee as well.
Didn't know this CD with music by Gallot ,  wonderful music performed in a evocative way, and very well recorded.

I have this I think, on a CD with some music my Dufault, it's really dreamy. Have you heard Hopkinson Smith's Gallot CD? To me, he makes Gallot sound like Denis Gaultier! 

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on May 31, 2018, 01:20:10 AM
Thanks. I'm enjoying this. I have to say I've also been enjoying all the output of Christopher Wilson I could get my hands on.

Do you like music for voices? If so, you may enjoy the CD called The Castle of Fair Welcome from Gothic Voices, which features Christopher Wilson. I love it!

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on June 02, 2018, 05:41:01 AM
Do you like music for voices? If so, you may enjoy the CD called The Castle of Fair Welcome from Gothic Voices, which features Christopher Wilson. I love it!

Thanks! I will look into this.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on June 02, 2018, 05:41:01 AM

I have a hard time with choral music or music focused around voices. On the other hand, I love the Rumsey recordings. I wonder if there's anything else like Rumsey. I have, of course, seen available recordings of voice w/vihuela and lute. I'm not sure what I'd like. I prefer simplicity. Any hint of opera training turns me off and I need the sound of a pluck continuo.

Vinbrulé

I'm happily forced to modify my previous judgement of this disc .  Listening to it after some time , I find it really satisfying .  Beautiful music (track 2 is a jewel)