Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Weiss: Sonatas played on the unique 1590 Sixtus Rauwolf Lute
Jakob Lindberg

I looked around for alternatives to the Barto series and found a bunch by the greats.  This one is really enjoyable, a nice selection of the sonatas played on a magnificent instrument.

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on June 14, 2018, 08:43:01 AM
I'm happily forced to modify my previous judgement of this disc .  Listening to it after some time , I find it really satisfying .  Beautiful music (track 2 is a jewel)

Some, maybe all, this CD  is on youtube and I think it's fabulous, thanks for pointing it out. I have ordered the CD.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Just starting to listen to this and finding wonderful sounding instruments and also a unique sort of program: virginals (Pierre Hantai) and lutes (and more)! I really haven't heard anything quite like this before.

Mandryka

Quote from: Vinbrulé on June 14, 2018, 08:43:01 AM
I'm happily forced to modify my previous judgement of this disc .  Listening to it after some time , I find it really satisfying .  Beautiful music (track 2 is a jewel)

Not just track 2! I very much like this CD, which I think was the last Agora produced before biting the dust, and hence had a limited distribution. But it's wonderfully recorded and the music is a revelation, the interpretation totally captivating and sympathetic.

milk

Moreno is a fine artist.

bwv 1080

milk

This one maybe has an unfortunate title. But, I like the sound, repertoire and the performance. I find it engaging all the way though. I don't know anything about person.

Mookalafalas

This disk favors the recorder as the real soloist, with the lute as accompaniment most of the time. [asin]B00000E6QO[/asin]
It mixes baroque compositions with modern ones.  So far (I'm only half way through it) uniformly excellent. Probably the most thrilling recorder playing (it seems silly to even write that ::)) I've ever encountered.
It's all good...

Vinbrulé

Quote from: milk on June 21, 2018, 11:44:00 PM

This one maybe has an unfortunate title. But, I like the sound, repertoire and the performance. I find it engaging all the way though. I don't know anything about person.
A friend of mine told me Kirchhof is not considered by the purists because he uses fingernails when playing.
Nevertheless I like very much his double CD with JSB's music for the lute ( including the beautiful Prelude-Fugue-Allegro Bwv 998 )  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on January 29, 2018, 08:00:38 AM

Anders Ericson, . . .   12 string lute, I have but it's so far proving difficult to "get into" for me.

And what do you know? I started to play this last night and I find myself completely addicted to the music and the performances.

Omicron9

Quote from: San Antone on June 14, 2018, 10:11:01 AM

Weiss: Sonatas played on the unique 1590 Sixtus Rauwolf Lute
Jakob Lindberg

I looked around for alternatives to the Barto series and found a bunch by the greats.  This one is really enjoyable, a nice selection of the sonatas played on a magnificent instrument.

A big +1 for this, and all of Jakob Lindberg's CDs.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Omicron9

Quote from: Mandryka on June 25, 2018, 03:29:55 AM
And what do you know? I started to play this last night and I find myself completely addicted to the music and the performances.

Listened to a bit of this on YT, and into my amazon shopping cart it went.  Nice!

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on June 25, 2018, 03:29:55 AM

I'm going for this as well. One thing I like is the character of the lute and it makes me wonder why so many of my lute recordings have a generic-sounding lute. This seems especially true of older recordings. Maybe I'm wrong. But you can really here the sound of the instrument on this. Let's see about the playing. 

Mandryka

One thing that recording made me realise, is how much really fabulous early music there is which is anonymous, or where the attribution is unclear, or where the attribution is to a very obscure composer. Lydia Maria Blank's Göttweig Manuscript recording is further proof.

The other thing it made me see is how I can't trust my own judgement, when I bought it I found it really inaccessible, but that was just me, my mood etc.

As far as generic sounding lutes are concerned, I bet it's got something to do with old recording techniques. I think the same is true of harpsichord, I tried to listen to an excellent recording of Bach stuff by Emer Buckley recently, but the harpsichord sound as captured in the 1980s is just no good!

Vinbrulé

Quote from: milk on June 14, 2018, 01:37:00 PM

Just starting to listen to this and finding wonderful sounding instruments and also a unique sort of program: virginals (Pierre Hantai) and lutes (and more)! I really haven't heard anything quite like this before.
Beautiful !!  really stimulating mixing of tone colours ! The sound of the virginals played by Pierre Hantai is simply lovely. And among the authors of the pieces Holborne stands out .  An ideal listening for a sunny summer afternoon. Thanks for having signalled it.

Kontrapunctus

Beautiful playing, sound, and music. I think I prefer Britten's "Nocturnal" on guitar even though his first thought was to write it for the lute. Still, Lindberg plays it wonderfully, and it must be terribly difficult on the lute.

Que

Quote from: milk on June 14, 2018, 01:37:00 PM

Definitely interesting!  :)

Found a review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Oct/Love_strange_305.htm

Q

Omicron9

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on July 07, 2018, 01:17:07 PM
Beautiful playing, sound, and music. I think I prefer Britten's "Nocturnal" on guitar even though his first thought was to write it for the lute. Still, Lindberg plays it wonderfully, and it must be terribly difficult on the lute.

Thank you for posing this.  Lindberg's CDs are an auto-buy for me; added to amazon cart.  :)

SonicMan46

Dowland, John - Solo Lute Music w/ Jakob Lindberg - three instruments are used: 1) 8-course lute by Michael Lowe, Oxford 1980; 2) 10-course lute, same in 1977; and 3) 8-course orpharion by Lars Jönsson, 1994 - the latter is flat-backed and wire strung (one 9-course shown below but not the one used in these performances) - the lutes are strung w/ 'gut bass' strings; Lindberg feels these are more 'authentic' to the times of the compositions; BTW, he also wrote the booklet notes.  Dave :)