Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Francesco da Milano (1497-1543) - Lute Works w/ Paul Beier - new acquisition of an early lutenist/composer; although I have a LOT of lute/guitar/related string instruments music, this is my first CD dedicated solely to Francesco Canova - boy, this musician dates from the time of Columbus and worked mainly for the papal court (short intro bio below) - he's been discussed occasionally in this thread - was not sure which 'starter' performance to obtain (others by Smith, O'Dette, and so forth) - Paul Beier used a six-course lute strung in gut.  Not sure 'how many' of Francesco's compositions are extant w/o a source - and there is one, i.e. the book of Arthur J. Ness, published in 1970 (see below) - appears that most of these works were called 'Ricercars' or 'Fantasias' (distinction not clear), plus others - the majority are Ricercars in my CD w/ low Ness numbers - will explore some other recordings - comments appreciated.  Dave :)

QuoteFrancesco Canova da Milano (Francesco da Milano, also known as Il divino, Francesco da Parigi, etc.) (18 August 1497 – 2 January 1543) was an Italian lutenist and composer. He was born in Monza, near Milan, and worked for the papal court for almost all of his career. Francesco was heralded throughout Europe as the foremost lute composer of his time. More of his music is preserved than of any other lutenist of the period, and his work continued to influence composers for more than a century after his death. (SOURCE)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 11, 2018, 09:21:24 AM
Francesco da Milano (1497-1543) - Lute Works w/ Paul Beier - new acquisition of an early lutenist/composer; although I have a LOT of lute/guitar/related string instruments music, this is my first CD dedicated solely to Francesco Canova - boy, this musician dates from the time of Columbus and worked mainly for the papal court (short intro bio below) - he's been discussed occasionally in this thread - was not sure which 'starter' performance to obtain (others by Smith, O'Dette, and so forth) - Paul Beier used a six-course lute strung in gut.  Not sure 'how many' of Francesco's compositions are extant w/o a source - and there is one, i.e. the book of Arthur J. Ness, published in 1970 (see below) - appears that most of these works were called 'Ricercars' or 'Fantasias' (distinction not clear), plus others - the majority are Ricercars in my CD w/ low Ness numbers - will explore some other recordings - comments appreciated.  Dave :)

What you have is Beier's first Milano recording. He did a second one with lots of fantasias. I like the second one very much.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on July 11, 2018, 09:58:02 AM

What you have is Beier's first Milano recording. He did a second one with lots of fantasias. I like the second one very much.

Thanks - I'll do some more searching - believe the booklet notes suggested Beier was starting a series but my recording dates to 1999?  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 11, 2018, 09:21:24 AM

Quote from: Mandryka on July 11, 2018, 09:58:02 AM

I have it as well, great disc!  :)

I didn't know there was a sequel, love to have it....

Could you fill us in on the details? Was it also issued on Stradivarius?

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on July 11, 2018, 09:47:55 PM
I have it as well, great disc!  :)

I didn't know there was a sequel, love to have it....

Could you fill us in on the details? Was it also issued on Stradivarius?

Q

Yes Stradivarius

Perino Fiorentino was a pupil of Francesco da Milano, he died young,  his muisc's good.

Que

Found it - thanks!  :)

[asin]B000X23K9I[/asin]
Q

milk

Listening to this today. The instruments sound wonderful and Cherici infuses the music with an "in the moment" sense of drama. Very rewarding listen. Good selection of pieces too.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Kontrapunctus

I just bought this as a hi-res FLAC--wonderfully played and recorded.

Que

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on July 15, 2018, 03:05:17 PM
I just bought this as a hi-res FLAC--wonderfully played and recorded.

It look very interesting!  :) And it says "vol. 2"...

Not available on CD, I presume?  :-[

Q

Mandryka

I've been having my own private Joachim Held retrospective festival, I think he's very good, especially in Italian Renaissance music. But really it's all good - including the British music he's recorded. This guy Held must be one of the top lute players around these days. He's got a way of making the music sound lyrical and balanced, harmonious, which seems to be just the ticket for renaissance stuff.

Que

Mandryka

I first got to know about David Kellner through a famous recording by Eugen Dombois, a very beautiful recording which showed me clearly, if only by means of two short pieces, that Kellner is a musician of great stature.

In the booklet to this recording which is dedicated to Kellner Jose Miguel Moreno reveals what inspired his extraordinary approach

QuoteWhat is particular about this music is that it doesn't come over as having been written by a typical lutenist of the time – somebody who played solo and ensemble music in the courts, for example. Instead, you sense a composers who was an organist, a clavichordist and also, perhaps, a player of the cembal d'amour.

There is, apparently, no clear evidence that Kellner was a lutenist to any significant degree, while there's plenty of evidence that he was a keyboard player, if a keyboard player manqué.

And the approach of Moreno: lyrical, poetic and intimate, never forceful or energetic or sharply accented. It's more like what  you'd expect from clavichord music than from lute. Moreno, better than anyone else I've heard, can make the lute sing, and this sounds very good in this music.

But most of all, this is the real exciting things, Moreno makes Kellner's music autumnal.  Just as Beyer's Reusner makes me think of Froberger, Moreno's Kellner makes me think of . . . Brahms.

Basically this is beautiful stuff, full of sweet nostalgia.

Vinbrulé

Quote from: Que on July 18, 2018, 10:33:50 AM
Great! :)

For some reason not in Europe, unlike vol.1... Perhaps a European release hasn't taken place yet.

Q
https://www.bgsrecords.com/shop/

Kontrapunctus

I just ordered this CD from Poland--based on some Youtube videos, they are wonderful musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiWQRnABzPY

Rhymenoceros

Mandryka

A dancing and outgoing performance of music by the great David Kellner from Stephen Stubbs, a real contrast with José Miguel Moreno's autumnal interpretation, but in its own way no less interesting I'd say.

Kontrapunctus

This CD arrived today, and it is simply a stunning recording. They play transcriptions of organ, harpsichord, and even orchestral pieces! Fantastic sound, too. Very reverberant, probably recorded in a cathedral, but it doesn't muddy the often busy textures and adds a lovely glow to the proceedings.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 02, 2018, 03:12:03 PM
This CD arrived today, and it is simply a stunning recording. They play transcriptions of organ, harpsichord, and even orchestral pieces! Fantastic sound, too. Very reverberant, probably recorded in a cathedral, but it doesn't muddy the often busy textures and adds a lovely glow to the proceedings.

Sounds like a disc I'd enjoy but not available on Amazon USA - don't recognize the label - any info that might help?  Is there a MP3 download somewhere?  Thanks - Dave :)