Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 02, 2018, 04:33:00 PM
Sounds like a disc I'd enjoy but not available on Amazon USA - don't recognize the label - any info that might help?  Is there a MP3 download somewhere?  Thanks - Dave :)
I bought mine from them (located in Poland). It was $22 including airmail postage--got it in about 9 or 10 days.  Here's link: http://www.luteduo.com/en/product/luteduo-plays-bach-2/

SonicMan46

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 02, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
I bought mine from them (located in Poland). It was $22 including airmail postage--got it in about 9 or 10 days.  Here's link: http://www.luteduo.com/en/product/luteduo-plays-bach-2/

Thanks for the link - took a look and seems to be the Luteduo's own website - assume the CD you received is a standard one, i.e. not a CD-R, and w/ a booklet?  Just curious - Dave :)

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 02, 2018, 08:44:05 PM
Thanks for the link - took a look and seems to be the Luteduo's own website - assume the CD you received is a standard one, i.e. not a CD-R, and w/ a booklet?  Just curious - Dave :)
Yes, it's a real CD in a nice digipak with informative notes and attractive photos. All very professional.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 02, 2018, 09:12:21 PM
Yes, it's a real CD in a nice digipak with informative notes and attractive photos. All very professional.

- Dave :)

Kontrapunctus

This 4-CD set is now out of print and rather pricey ($150 or so), but Linn offers the individual discs as hi-res FLAC for just $13ea, so I bought all 4 today. Started with disc one. He plays wonderfully and the sound is superb--very present and detailed but not dry.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 04, 2018, 01:19:40 PM
This 4-CD set is now out of print and rather pricey ($150 or so), but Linn offers the individual discs as hi-res FLAC for just $13ea, so I bought all 4 today. Started with disc one. He plays wonderfully and the sound is superb--very present and detailed but not dry.

Yep, those OOP CDs or sets can be listed at ridiculous prices - I bought the Nigel North 4-CD digipack (second pic above) in 2008 from Amazon - the order did not come up so not sure of the price back then but I would suspect $40 or less?  Dave :)

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 04, 2018, 01:40:42 PM
Yep, those OOP CDs or sets can be listed at ridiculous prices - I bought the Nigel North 4-CD digipack (second pic above) in 2008 from Amazon - the order did not come up so not sure of the price back then but I would suspect $40 or less?  Dave :)

That sounds about right. I like the original cover better. The main downside to the FLAC files is the lack of a  booklet, but I'm quite familiar with the music (I have played several of them in guitar transcriptions), so I can tell what alterations he made. The hi-res version each have the original single-disc cover.

Que

milk

This is worth posting. Lots of stuff listed as "public domain" here. Some of the tracks have vocals and some not. The singing is fine too.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Que on August 04, 2018, 11:07:08 PM

Also have this set, love it!  :)

Q

As I posted in the Purchases Today thread, I finally found a copy of this at a non-ridiculous price and snapped it up. Looking forward to hearing it!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

JBS

Quote from: Alek Hidell on August 23, 2018, 06:45:29 PM
As I posted in the Purchases Today thread, I finally found a copy of this at a non-ridiculous price and snapped it up. Looking forward to hearing it!
I think you would like his Dowland set (Naxos 4 CDs)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Alek Hidell

Quote from: JBS on August 23, 2018, 07:26:48 PM
I think you would like his Dowland set (Naxos 4 CDs)

I think I probably would, too. I already have my eye on it. :) And fortunately it seems to be much easier to come by than the Bach set.

Thanks, Jeffrey!

Que

Nice!  :) Pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

Q

Mandryka

This CD from Paul O'Dette of French renaissance  music has been rereleased. It contains amongst other things some pieces by a composer called Jean-Paul Paladin which O'Dette plays very well indeed. It's one of those recordings which is well worth catching on a streaming service I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bwv 1080

4   Sacrifice
Conductor – Hiroshi Wakasugi
Flute [Alto Flute] – Ryu Noguchi
Lute – Mitsuhiko Hamada
Vibraphone, Cymbal [Antique Cymbal] – Keiko Abe
6:21
5   Ring
Conductor – Hiroshi Wakasugi
Flute – Ryu Noguchi
Guitar [Terz Guitar] – Harumi Ibe
Lute – Mitsuhiko Hamada

Mandryka

The music on the disc predates the invention of style brisé. It is utterly charming for its simple song like qualities and  delicate rhythms. I find the way he plays Morlaye a real siren song. Like Gallon's and Brosse's recording of music from the French renaissance, I can't stop listening once I start.  It will appeal to anyone who enjoys the music in the Attaingnant anthology, or who is curious about music from the time of François 1er.

Kontrapunctus

Don't you love it when that happens? I have searched for this LP for quite a while (it fell victim to the great LP purge years ago) but could never find it, or if I did, it was over $100. I bought a mint copy on ebay for just $15 a few weeks ago. (The David Kellner pieces were originally written for the lute.)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 27, 2018, 07:15:08 AM
Don't you love it when that happens? I have searched for this LP for quite a while (it fell victim to the great LP purge years ago) but could never find it, or if I did, it was over $100. I bought a mint copy on ebay for just $15 a few weeks ago. (The David Kellner pieces were originally written for the lute.)

I do, indeed! In fact, it arrived today. Sometimes (often?) the thrill of the hunt is a pleasure in itself. ;)

Congratulations on your find. (The picture on the cover - presumably Käppel in various poses - makes me think of a photo of the Beatles you might see on the back of one of their mid-60s albums.)

Mandryka

New release by Toyohiko Satoh here. All new composers for me, I think. The booklet essay by Satoh is inspiring, for me at least, for example

QuoteThis recording begins with music by Francois Ginter (1671-1706), whose real name was Adam Franz Ginter, a soprano singer at the royal boys' choir of Vienna. Ginter,
who was born in Vienna and had a beautiful voice since
he was a young boy, became a castrato when he was around fifteen years old. As he was not a very pretty
boy, people around him disapproved of this idea, but
his father decided to have the castration be carried out anyway. Almost no records are left of Ginter's activities as a castrato, but it seems that he also was a lute player. From the fact that the back-then very famous Viennese lutenist Saint-Luc dedicated a Tombeau to Ginter, we can conclude that he must have been a noticeable lutenist in his own right. Only a few of Ginter's compositions have remained to the present day, and among them only one complete suite survived; the Suite in E minor. The bodies of castrates generally grew abnormally large due to the hormonal imbalances, and they were said to often have short lives. Ginter died at the age of 35. He probably wrote this suite in his final years, even though he was actually still quite
young. As a human who had to bear the heavy fate of being a castrate, this suite is a deeply touching composition with profound and complex ideas. To me it does not sound at all like the composition of a 35-year old musician, but rather like the work of a 70-year old lutenist. if Ginter
would not have become a castrate but a lutenist instead, maybe he would have lived much longer and might have composed many more of these wonderful suites. This suite is composed of six dances: Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Menuet, Bourée and Gigue. The last piece is a so-called
"Allemande giguée" – a Gigue in Allemande style, which is basically a Gigue in a slower tempo. Similarly to the well- known Gigue "Testament de Mesangeau" by Vieux Gaultier (Ennemond Gaultier), this Gigue might have represented Ginter's own testament.