Author Topic: Recordings for lute and related instruments  (Read 123835 times)

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
Re: Recordings for lute and related instruments
« Reply #480 on: April 11, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
Here is a question for the cognoscenti:

To me, in general, the guitar seems very dry and boring harmonically compared to the lute, theorbo, and such earlier instruments, as well as the modern ukelele. All of these sound harmonically much richer, sweeter, and more melodious to my ears. Why is this? Is there much of a difference in tuning systems--or is it something else? (Outside of very few favorite guitarists such as Joe Pass, Johnny Smith, and the world of flamenco, I find the guitar--both acoustic and electric--to be a pretty big bore.)

Guitars can make only 4 notes simultaneously at maximum. Besides, four fingers can play only limited choice of notes and movement. However, acoustic guitars, made by cedar or spruce, can maximize significant variation in tone. Some recordings proffer dark, decadent atmosphere generated by nylon guitars. Overall, Guitar may sound colorful when it is played for a single-note melody like violin or horns, rather than multi-notes like piano.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #481 on: June 05, 2020, 03:10:54 AM »
I'm not sure if I posted this - I thought I did but I don't see it now. Anyway:
I've been listening to Paul O'Dette's Dowland series. For a long time I didn't get into Dowland but now I can experience how wonderful his lute music is. And, though O'Dette's recordings are a bit old, they sound great.
So, what about other Dowland recordings like Lindberg? What should I hear and what should I be listening for also? I'm not sure how to understand the differences in approaches to lute music.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #482 on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »
What should I hear

Mike Flentross.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:22:50 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
I'm not sure how to understand the differences in approaches to lute music.

One thing I like to think about is how they use the silences, do they make it flow forward or do they enjoy the resonances.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:32:48 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #484 on: June 05, 2020, 10:58:41 AM »
I'm not sure if I posted this - I thought I did but I don't see it now. Anyway:
I've been listening to Paul O'Dette's Dowland series. For a long time I didn't get into Dowland but now I can experience how wonderful his lute music is. And, though O'Dette's recordings are a bit old, they sound great.
So, what about other Dowland recordings like Lindberg? What should I hear and what should I be listening for also? I'm not sure how to understand the differences in approaches to lute music.

I have Nigel North's complete Dowland and some of O'D'ette's, and I like both.
To my mind O'Dette is the bolder, lively and expressive approach.
North is a bit more low key, but also more poetic and expresses more of Dowland's melancholy.
Lindberg I don't like, I find it detached and static, unengaging.

Outside the complete cycles I have been pleasantly surprised by Anthony Rooley.

Q

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #485 on: June 17, 2020, 03:36:46 AM »

New Marco DALL’AQUILA recording by Lukas Henning

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #486 on: June 24, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »

I’m really enjoying this. Bream’s lute is different though. It doesn’t sound like the lutes I hear on very up-to-date recordings. I’m not sure it’d be my recommendation for what Dowland should be - as far as I know what’s what. I’d like to know more background on how people are playing this differently. Anyhoo, this is very touching and melancholy and beautiful.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
Thoughts on the complete Dowland lute music sets out there? I'm torn between Jakob Lindberg and Nigel North. They both sound great and both are quite cheap.

While I'm in this thread I may as well ask for recommendations for two lute composers I've been meaning to check out: Robert de Visée and Sylvius Leopold Weiss. What are some great discs dedicated to these composers?

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #488 on: October 13, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »
Thoughts on the complete Dowland lute music sets out there? I'm torn between Jakob Lindberg and Nigel North. They both sound great and both are quite cheap.

While I'm in this thread I may as well ask for recommendations for two lute composers I've been meaning to check out: Robert de Visée and Sylvius Leopold Weiss. What are some great discs dedicated to these composers?

I don’t listen to Dowland, but I have a good opinion about Lindberg in general. How about buying the both anyway? Also, I often hear good things about O’Dette’s recordings. I haven’t explored Weiss much either. But I like Kirchhof and Junghanel.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #489 on: October 13, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »

Well for Dowland, I currently have Nigel North, but had some Paul O'Dette which I culled out just to save some room - both well done; as to Lindberg own him w/ other composers so would suspect his Dowland is quite good - you simply need to decide on how many different performers will fit your needs; if just one, then any of these guys should please - if two, then decide!

As to Weiss, there is a LOT of music - I have 3-4 lutenists including Jakob Lindberg, but if you like 'one-stop' shopping, then the 12-CD box w/ Michel Cardin is hard to beat.  Finally, Robert de Visée who fascinates me but just collecting some recordings, including the discs below (one an MP3 DL w/ Smith) w/ theorbo - BTW, if you've not explored Hopkinson Smith on the lute, start w/ some of his Bach recordings.  Dave :)

Offline JCBuckley

« Reply #490 on: October 15, 2020, 05:28:54 AM »
For de Visée, I very much like Fred Jacobs' recordings, and this:

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »

An attractive performance by Walter Gerwig of a suite attributed to Johann Jakob Hoffer, it makes me hungry to hear more. But who is he? I can’t find anything out about him, and this appears to be the only recording of anything. There is this

But this appears to be music by a different Hoffer - Wolfgang Adam.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #492 on: December 04, 2020, 04:04:29 AM »
I’m just wading through all of Jose Miguel Moreno’s output, some of it solo and some of it with Eligio Quintero. He plays therbo, lute, vihuela and baroque guitar on these recordings which range from De Visee to Luys Milan to Downland. I find his recording pleasing, like a soft warm blanket on a cold winter night. It makes me want to make some hot chocolate. Oh, and the album covers are exceptionally pleasing.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #493 on: December 04, 2020, 08:41:39 AM »
Just a repost from the 'Listening Thread' for those who like Robert de Visée -   8)

Robert de Visée (c. 1655 - c. 1733) - Chamber & Guitar Music - de Visée was a lutenist, guitarist, theorbist and viol player at the court of the French kings Louis XIV and Louis XV, as well as a singer and composer for lute, theorbo and guitar. Short Wiki bio HERE w/ a list of his works, which are somewhat confusing on the 4-CD Brilliant set (explained better in the attached reviews) - I own this box + several theorbo CDs, one w/ Hopkinson Smith.  The guitar recordings are from Spotify listened to yesterday.  Dave :)