Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on August 12, 2021, 09:48:38 AM
Be sure to try Massimo Lonardi's Dowland too! Just lovely stuff. Voluptuous, languid. Calm, luxe, volupté.
Thanks. I will.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on August 08, 2021, 12:29:11 AM

Fluid, delicate, sweet, relaxed, Massimo Lonardi manages to find the dreamy side of Dowland without completely losing sight of the dance - dances of the soul, not the feet, in Lonardi's hands. The sound is is a bit distant and diffused, but one adjusts.
Yes. I gave this some time but I'm finding it to be deeply rewarding. It's a dreamier Dowland as you say.

Mandryka

I first discovered Massimo Marchese through this lovely recording with soprano Nadia Caristi- she has a beautiful pure voice, the cd is a great discovery for me

I'm now exploring his collection of music by Francesco Spinacino, a cycle of complex and stimulating ricercari à la Vincenzo Galilei

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on January 21, 2017, 10:02:18 PM

This 1976 recording of music by Denis Gaultier by Hopkinson Smith is (according to Discogs) his first solo release.

The tempos are slow and the articulation is jolting and unfluid, at the emotional level everything is somber. The way Smith plays first two suites makes them sound like complex technical exercises to me. The last suite on the CD, which happens to be the last suite in the manuscript, is better.

This recording by Hopkinson Smith was made 12 years later in 1988 (Discogs again) and is dedicated to music by Ennemond Gaultier.

What a difference! There's a fluid lyricism, a sense of impredictable rhythm, a variety of timbre and attack, a wide range of complex bitter-sweet emotions.

Back to the Ennemond (vieux) Gaultier, very lyrical and simplified - the bass a sort of continuo for the song in the treble. Very beautiful and meditative. The sound's OK - probably too much bass, but it's not a deal breaker.

Mandryka

Today I listened maybe for for the first time to the John Johnson half of this CD. I think Genov is a bit matter of fact in this music, if he is doing any major poetic embellishment they sounded so natural to me that I hardly noticed. From my point of view that's a positive in fact!

The real interesting thing is the music, because it's apparent that John Johnson wrote a sequence of pavans and galliards which is significant and largely unexplored on record at least - like Bull's pavans and galliards they're a hidden gem of English music I think.

There's an enormous contrast between Johnson and Holborne, by the way - and given that they were contemporaries from the same milieu that makes the recording even more valuable.  A glimpse into the variety of styles in English lute music from the mid 16th century.

aligreto

Cross post from the Listening Thread:

Vallet: Le Secret Des Muses [O'Dette]

This is an exquisite performance of this wonderfully sounding music. The playing is of the highest order and the recorded sound is very sympathetic to the music in a good recording.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Any good recordings of theorbe, other than those of Visee? Thank you.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 14, 2021, 07:23:59 PM
Any good recordings of theorbe, other than those of Visee? Thank you.

Yes, Fred Jacobs' Kapsberger CD, and Christopher Wilke's CD of music by Charles Hurel. Also Simon Linné on Brilliant - some Visée, but not exclusively.

There's a CD with Jean Marie Poirier and Thierry Meunier called Contreparties which has a lovely duet by Kapsberger on theorbo and guitar - I love it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on November 14, 2021, 08:05:10 PM

Yes, Fred Jacobs' Kapsberger CD, and Christopher Wilke's CD of music by Charles Hurel. Also Simon Linné on Brilliant - some Visée, but not exclusively.

There's a CD with Jean Marie Poirier and Thierry Meunier called Contreparties which has a lovely duet by Kapsberger on theorbo and guitar - I love it.

Thanks a lot!  I will check them out.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 15, 2021, 06:19:53 AM
Thanks a lot!  I will check them out.

You're welcome, it was interesting to review the material available. I forgot this, with some Piccinini

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you, I will check it out. The other recordings sound very good!

Mandryka

Just a chance find on Spotify, but a lovely thing, nice renaissance music and absolutely infectious, joyful, modest music making. Worth a try, though I warn you: once you start to listen it will be hard to pull yourself away

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on November 15, 2021, 09:04:06 AM
You're welcome, it was interesting to review the material available. I forgot this, with some Piccinini

I like this recording.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 20, 2021, 06:29:54 AM
I like this recording.

So do I - possibly the best Piccinini I have heard. Great sound on those low strings!

bioluminescentsquid

I haven't listened to this sort of music in forever, but I remember liking these French theorbo recordings:

Imamura de Visée

José Miguel Moreno - brighter and less brooding

But Hopkinson Smith is still hard to beat.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on November 20, 2021, 03:13:14 PM
I haven't listened to this sort of music in forever, but I remember liking these French theorbo recordings:

Imamura de Visée

José Miguel Moreno - brighter and less brooding

But Hopkinson Smith is still hard to beat.

Imamura is my FB friend. I haven't met him, but I know his students.

Mandryka

Just ordered this

He's a pupil of Toyohiko Satoh, a couple of things on general streaming.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on November 21, 2021, 09:42:18 AM
Just ordered this

He's a pupil of Toyohiko Satoh, a couple of things on general streaming.

Let us know your opinion later!

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on August 11, 2021, 09:35:57 PM

I just find this enthralling. Fentross has two great Dowland recordings.

Back to this this morning, it is outstanding.