Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 23, 2021, 02:21:23 PM
I tried listening to this and didn't feel terribly engaged with the music - even with the incredibly fine playing of Luca Pianca. There's something repetitive about Italian lute music of this time that makes it hard for me to enjoy.

I don't agree that Luca Pianca's playing is so fine. I guess I think that it's the task of the performer to make the music interesting through nuance. Before giving up on Francesco da Milano maybe try to listen to Xavier Diaz Latorre, which came out this year. I thought it was a revelation.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

I will check out Diaz-Latorre soon, but what do you think of Hopkinson Smith in da Milano?
What do you not like about Pianca, is it just the lack of nuance? I usually like his playing in later music.

Just listened to this - from North of the alps. Although the music is much more simplistic it's also much more listenable. There is hope for me in 16th century lute music after all! (I usually like later Style brisé)

Bart Roose playing Neusidler

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 25, 2021, 12:05:34 AM
I will check out Diaz-Latorre soon, but what do you think of Hopkinson Smith in da Milano?
What do you not like about Pianca, is it just the lack of nuance? I usually like his playing in later music.

Just listened to this - from North of the alps. Although the music is much more simplistic it's also much more listenable. There is hope for me in 16th century lute music after all! (I usually like later Style brisé)

Bart Roose playing Neusidler

Give me a bit of time and I'll listen to all the Francesco da Milano recordings I can find, and post any responses I have.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on December 25, 2021, 05:52:28 AM
Give me a bit of time and I'll listen to all the Francesco da Milano recordings I can find, and post any responses I have.

Well the upshot of this so far is that Paul Beier is very special - both his recordings, and that has sent me on a bit of a deviation from Francesco da Milano - it has sent me to Beier's Reusner, which is fabulous- both recordings!

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on December 28, 2021, 09:44:03 AM
Well the upshot of this so far is that Paul Beier is very special - both his recordings, and that has sent me on a bit of a deviation from Francesco da Milano - it has sent me to Beier's Reusner, which is fabulous- both recordings!

I just listened to a bit of the Reusner, my impression is that its slightly eccentric but pretty music. His playing seems a bit muttery to me. What do like about the recording?
I got bored and switched it off for the Mouton suite on Satoh's Iki -- in comparison to Beier, Satoh make phrases really clear by highlighting them with dynamics and a sense of space, which makes things much more listenable.

Of course, I think this might be something that will grow on me after a few more tries.

Que

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 28, 2021, 11:56:25 PM
I just listened to a bit of the Reusner, my impression is that its slightly eccentric but pretty music. His playing seems a bit muttery to me. What do like about the recording?
I got bored and switched it off for the Mouton suite on Satoh's Iki -- in comparison to Beier, Satoh make phrases really clear by highlighting them with dynamics and a sense of space, which makes things much more listenable.

Of course, I think this might be something that will grow on me after a few more tries.

I like Paul Beier a lot, but found Reusner rather boring as well...

Mandryka

The reason I like his Reusner is that it's introspective, poetic like Froberger at times. His is my favourite Reusner, in Bk 2 especially. I prefer it even to Satoh and to certainly to Richter. I haven't heard his Mouton but I'll try to later.

Mandryka

Enjoyed this very much last night, so much so that I ordered a CD by James Tyler. I've enjoyed all Rooley's lute recordings in fact.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 28, 2021, 11:56:25 PM

Is there a recording of Mouton by Beier? I can't find it. I can't see any French music in fact.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on December 29, 2021, 01:55:29 AM
Is there a recording of Mouton by Beier? I can't find it. I can't see any French music in fact.

no there isn't, I wasn't meaning it as a direct comparison.

I haven't really come around to like Froberger either, Louis Couperin is much more interesting to me. :)

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 29, 2021, 01:00:38 PM
no there isn't, I wasn't meaning it as a direct comparison.

I haven't really come around to like Froberger either, Louis Couperin is much more interesting to me. :)

I'm surprised you don't like Froberger's ricercari on organ in the Asperen recording.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on December 29, 2021, 09:05:03 PM
I'm surprised you don't like Froberger's ricercari on organ in the Asperen recording.

That's something I have to revisit, I remember liking his Capricci recording at Norden a lot. I generally like his fugal works more than suites.

milk

I want to get back into French lute music. It's interesting how The French style distinguishes itself. I think I've been listening to a lot of Italian and English lute music. Was there anything of the French in 2021? Any recordings?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on December 31, 2021, 04:34:33 AM
I want to get back into French lute music. It's interesting how The French style distinguishes itself. I think I've been listening to a lot of Italian and English lute music. Was there anything of the French in 2021? Any recordings?

I'm not sure if this came out this year or last year

(listening to it now and thinking how good Mouton's music is.)

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on December 31, 2021, 06:07:54 AM
I'm not sure if this came out this year or last year

(listening to it now and thinking how good Mouton's music is.)
Thanks. 2020 I think but I'm listening all the same. I didn't know this lutenist.

aligreto

Neusidler- Lute Music [Odette]

I had known nothing of this composer or his music prior to listening to this album. Paul O'Dette's playing, for me at least, is self recommending and so it proved here. I found the music, and indeed the music making, to be continually interesting and engaging. I find that O'Dette's playing is always technically astute and musically illuminating and revealing and I was not disappointed here either. The instrument that he plays leans towards the treble side, which suits the music, and the sound is very clear and recorded in a warm acoustic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on January 15, 2022, 04:24:11 AM
Neusidler- Lute Music [Odette]

I had known nothing of this composer or his music prior to listening to this album. Paul O'Dette's playing, for me at least, is self recommending and so it proved here. I found the music, and indeed the music making, to be continually interesting and engaging. I find that O'Dette's playing is always technically astute and musically illuminating and revealing and I was not disappointed here either. The instrument that he plays leans towards the treble side, which suits the music, and the sound is very clear and recorded in a warm acoustic.

Well-said. Nice recording.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 15, 2022, 08:14:26 AM

Nice recording.

Yes. it is and it deserves to be investigated by those who do not know it.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on December 02, 2021, 01:43:13 PM
Except I just noticed this - released 2020. I can't see how to hear it here in the UK - if anyone can help, please say.

https://chokalute.wordpress.com/2020/09/09/佐藤豊彦氏%E3%80%80リュート・ソロcd/

I've just received a batch of five lute recordings from Japan, including this. No surprises: it is British music iki style, tons of space for the phrases to breathe, it must be very hard to do, to judge how long to hold a note, a rest. Masterful playing obvs. Without wishing to wax poetic, one feels one is in the presence of an angel.

HMV Japan are wonderful! Easy to deal with, all the customs stuff dealt with, a good system of discounts especially for multiple orders, reasonable delivery charges and the package got from Tokyo to London in about as much time as a package takes to get from Glasgow to London.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 21, 2022, 07:59:25 AM
I've just received a batch of five lute recordings from Japan, including this. No surprises: it is British music iki style, tons of space for the phrases to breathe, it must be very hard to do, to judge how long to hold a note, a rest. Masterful playing obvs. Without wishing to wax poetic, one feels one is in the presence of an angel.

HMV Japan are wonderful! Easy to deal with, all the customs stuff dealt with, a good system of discounts especially for multiple orders, reasonable delivery charges and the package got from Tokyo to London in about as much time as a package takes to get from Glasgow to London.

Glad to hear that everything went well, and the disc (and other recordings) was very good. Miles Davis once said that how you don't play is more important than how you play (or something like that). It appears that the recording in question and his Weichenberger disc were well-received in Japan.