Diabelli Variations

Started by Holden, March 29, 2008, 03:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickardg

Quote from: James on March 31, 2008, 10:52:35 AM
Trying to recreate the uncertainties of the past is tricky & we have tools today that are far superior in design and sonic/dynamic/color capability, and genius performers who shone NEW light-on and breathed NEW life-into the music, making it so exciting and vibrant for audiences today.

(Pic is link, I haven't heard this for years and then only very briefly)

Of course some would claim that a Moog is a historical instrument.  ;D

Edit: fixed broken image (hopefully)

Brian

It is fascinating to hear Paul Komen play on period instruments because the period instruments yield very different-sounding works than the Beethoven with which we're familiar (my favorite example being the Arietta of Op 111 - revelatory) - BUT his performances are aided by the fact that Paul Komen happens to be a truly exceptional performer in his own right.

And by the way, it's Battersby.

Que

Quote from: Brian on March 31, 2008, 12:03:24 PM
It is fascinating to hear Paul Komen play on period instruments because the period instruments yield very different-sounding works than the Beethoven with which we're familiar (my favorite example being the Arietta of Op 111 - revelatory) - BUT his performances are aided by the fact that Paul Komen happens to be a truly exceptional performer in his own right.

Brian, thanks for pointing that out, and I wholeheartedly agree! :)
It would be a great pity indeed, if our fellow members got a different impression just on account of his recording being HIP or being advocated by HIPsters...

EDIT: reposted a sample below.

Q

MN Dave

I don't even check if something is HIP or not.

prémont

Quote from: Sforzando on March 31, 2008, 09:54:48 AM
The range of the fortepiano was expanded during the last years of Beethoven's life, allowing for the extremes we see in a sonata like op. 111. In earlier works (e.g. the op. 10/3 sonata, the first concerto), Beethoven writes melodic lines that plainly demand the F# a semitone above the top note of his piano at the time. If a fortepiano is being used with the expanded range needed for 111, should we or should we not substitute the F# in the earlier cases?

In my opinon we should substitute. It would be ridiculous to regard the adherence to the original score as a cardinal point in this question.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: James on March 31, 2008, 10:52:35 AM
Trying to recreate the uncertainties of the past is tricky & we have tools today that are far superior in design and sonic/dynamic/color capability, and genius performers who shone NEW light-on and breathed NEW life-into the music, making it so exciting and vibrant for audiences today. There is room for both but can you imagine if there was never any evolution and the music was still performed exactly as it was then, today? Ugh. Thank goodness for the variety!

It is tempting to say, that the music in question actually bores you, even if you certainly wouldn´t admit this. Why else should you need variety of the kind you suggest?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Peregrine

I own Richter, Sokolov, Demidenko, Mustonen, Schnabel and Pollini.

I really couldn't pick a clear favourite out of those, they all communicate to me in some way.
Yes, we have no bananas

BorisG

Quote from: Peregrine on March 31, 2008, 01:08:20 PM
I own Richter, Sokolov, Demidenko, Mustonen, Schnabel and Pollini.

I really couldn't pick a clear favourite out of those, they all communicate to me in some way.

;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Que on March 31, 2008, 12:09:22 PM
Brian, thanks for pointing that out, and I wholeheartedly agree! :)
It would be a great pity indeed, if our fellow members got a different impression just on account of his recording being HIP or being advocated by HIPsters...

BTW, everybody interested is welcome to download this sample: Diabelli Variations - thema & var. 1-7 (320 kbps)

Q

Thank you for doing this. Unfortunately, the file name is so long that the extension is truncated, and I can't play it. Can you try again?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

not edward

Quote from: Sforzando on March 31, 2008, 02:08:16 PM
Thank you for doing this. Unfortunately, the file name is so long that the extension is truncated, and I can't play it. Can you try again?
You should be able to get around this by renaming it to something ending in .mp3
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: edward on March 31, 2008, 02:31:45 PM
You should be able to get around this by renaming it to something ending in .mp3

That was my first thought as well, but Windows doesn't like that and claims .mp3 is not the file format being used.

FideLeo

Quote from: Sforzando on March 31, 2008, 04:38:42 PM
That was my first thought as well, but Windows doesn't like that and claims .mp3 is not the file format being used.

Something is accursed in your system... ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Quote from: MN Dave on March 31, 2008, 12:11:53 PM
I don't even check if something is HIP or not.

Ah, but I happen to be interested in the matter of performing styles.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

(poco) Sforzando

Lethevich

Sforzando - won't play for me either, so I don't think it's an mp3 (or ogg). The implication is that it's probably Apple's format (aac or something or other), but as I have no interest in downloading or ever using iTunes, I can't confirm.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que

Quote from: Lethe on March 31, 2008, 08:37:01 PM
Sforzando - won't play for me either, so I don't think it's an mp3 (or ogg). The implication is that it's probably Apple's format (aac or something or other), but as I have no interest in downloading or ever using iTunes, I can't confirm.

Yes Lethe, indeed it was AAC. My apologies for the (initial) dissapointment. :)

Hope this is better! (MP3 this time)

[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/4/1562799/01%2033%20Veranderungen%20uber%20einen%20Walzer%20von%20Anton%20Diabelli%20op.120.mp3[/mp3]
Theme and the first seven variations, about 9 minutes.

Q

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que

Quote from: Lethe on March 31, 2008, 10:43:04 PM
Que - very kind of you :)

Pleasure, would like to hear your (and anyone else's) impressions. :)

Q

Don

Quote from: Que on April 01, 2008, 01:53:33 PM
Pleasure, would like to hear your (and anyone else's) impressions. :)

Q

I enjoyed it - very upbeat as should be.

FideLeo

On a related note, Peter Serkin's 1980s recordings of LvB last sonatas (nos. 28-32) played on an original Graf fortepiano are now re-released on CD.  The Hammerklavier is outstanding, superior to his own remake on a modern piano even.