Mendelssohn's Octet

Started by James, March 30, 2008, 11:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Olias on May 31, 2022, 05:22:41 PM
Okay this thread is ancient but I didn't want to needlessly create a new one for the same topic.

I have a great period instrument recording of the Octet but was wanting recommendations for a modern instrument recording.

More curious about which PI recording you're loving on.  ❤  :)

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Olias

This one.  :)

I like it but I would enjoy a modern instrument recording as well.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

Brian

My favorites are eastern European in origin and luxurious in tone: the Prazak/Kocian quartets on Praga (a little more relaxed in pace, which may not be the ideal approach but should be a good contrast to the HIP) and the Kodaly/Auer on Naxos. The couplings may help you decide - the piano sextet on the first, and the Octet by Bruch on the second.

I did not enjoy the recent recording by the Gringolts Quartet and Meta4. The first violinist had a totally different stylistic approach from the other 7 players, treating it as a full concerto with embellishments, improvisation, ornamentation, etc. And not in entirely good taste (though of course everyone's taste is different!!).

amw

I think I listen to the Mandelring + Cremona on Audite the most, followed by the Pražák + Kocian already mentioned and the Leipzig + 4 soloists on MDG. I'm not sure which one is the best, since I mostly stick with the Hausmusik recording, lol.

Jo498

My overall clear favorite is Archibudelli (Sony vivarte), also on period instruments. It's not that different from Hausmusik, but more lively overall, especially faster in the first movement (coupled with a little known octet by Gade).
I think I have no recent modern instrument recordings, only Heifetz (more successful than in the Schubert Quintet) and Smetana+Janacek in the DG box (orig. Westminster recording, there is, I think, another Supraphon recording of these ensembles). I might have another one I forgot about in some box.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Olias on May 31, 2022, 05:22:41 PM
Okay this thread is ancient but I didn't want to needlessly create a new one for the same topic.

I have a great period instrument recording of the Octet but was wanting recommendations for a modern instrument recording.

I cannot speak with the knowledge of having heard dozens of different performances for the simple reason that this one version absolutely knocks me out and I've never needed to seek others.....

James Ehnes' leading of this Seattle group is simply astonishing - virtuosic and joyous.  What a piece!!

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 31, 2022, 11:39:29 PM
I cannot speak with the knowledge of having heard dozens of different performances for the simple reason that this one version absolutely knocks me out and I've never needed to seek others.....

James Ehnes' leading of this Seattle group is simply astonishing - virtuosic and joyous.  What a piece!!

This is my recommendation too.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Olias

Okay, I was looking at this one as a possibility.  I'll listen to a few samples.  :)
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

DavidW

San Antone

One of my favorite period string quartets the Eroica has recorded the octet.

In their first release for the Resonus Classics label, the Eroica Quartet and Friends perform the world premiere recording of the original 1825 version of Mendelssohn's Octet, Op. 20.

Mendelssohn wrote the Octet in 1825 when he was just 16 years old and subsequently revised the score in 1832 for publication. This recording uses the original 1825 manuscript that is currently held in the US Library of Congress in Washington D.C., and which has now been put together for publication in a new edition.

Played on period instruments and with fingerings and bowings specific to the time, the legacy and influence Mendelssohn gained from his teacher Beethoven, is clear. This edition is immensely expressive and more indulgent than the revisions penned by the more mature, older man that he was seven years later. (Presto)

Brian

I'm listening to Ehnes & friends now and it is also wonderful. (There may not be many bad performances of this piece.) One big difference between Ehnes and, say, Kodaly/Auer or Prazak/Kocian is the slow movement - a difference of 45 seconds or so with a big effect. Ehnes' group is quicker, more terse and gloomy, less showily emotional. It's a matter of taste but I was surprised by the less expressive approach here.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Olias on May 31, 2022, 07:37:35 PM
This one.  :)

I like it but I would enjoy a modern instrument recording as well.

I'm sorry, Olias, but as you can see from where I quoted your post, I don't know what picture has failed to appear. I would happily accept just a name...  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Gurn - they posted Hausmusik on Virgin.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: amw on May 31, 2022, 08:43:03 PM
I think I listen to the Mandelring + Cremona on Audite the most, followed by the Pražák + Kocian already mentioned and the Leipzig + 4 soloists on MDG. I'm not sure which one is the best, since I mostly stick with the Hausmusik recording, lol.

I also mostly stick with the Hausmusik recording, although the combination of Smithsonian Players and L'Archibudelli, kept me happy for a long time before I got that one. :)

I have the Prazak/Kocian also, which would be a favorite on modern instruments, although I got it for the Piano Sextet recording actually.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2022, 09:58:26 AM
Gurn - they posted Hausmusik on Virgin.

Thanks, Brian. I was hoping it was a new one I never heard of, life can be surprising that way on an otherwise dull day. :D

8)

Jo498

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 01, 2022, 09:59:25 AM
I also mostly stick with the Hausmusik recording, although the combination of Smithsonian Players and L'Archibudelli, kept me happy for a long time before I got that one. :)
I should compare them again; I always found the Archibudelli/Smithson superior to Hausmusik (likewise in the Schubert octet) although the latter are also good. In any case I gave away my copy of Archibudelli at some stage when I was in need of a present... but bought another copy several years later, despite having Hausmusik as well (in a 5-disc-box with other nice stuff) and last time I checked I didn't regret this (and not because of the Gade...).
In fact, I could eventually use a modern recording in good sound. I just listened to the two other ones I have, Heifetz and Smetana+Janacek and while the latter sounds pretty good for 1959 both show their age of about 60 years. And Heifetz is too fast and the others are a bit slow, esp. in the 2nd mvmt.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

bhodges

Thanks so much for posting this. As a big Ehnes fan, I've not heard much from his Seattle world (where he seems extremely successful). And wouldn't mind hearing him in the Violin Concerto, either.

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on June 01, 2022, 02:24:36 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. As a big Ehnes fan, I've not heard much from his Seattle world (where he seems extremely successful). And wouldn't mind hearing him in the Violin Concerto, either.

--Bruce
Is the American chamber music compilation with the highway road sign cover a Seattle Ehnes album?

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2022, 02:39:35 PM
Is the American chamber music compilation with the highway road sign cover a Seattle Ehnes album?

Had to look that up, and yes, it is. (I haven't heard that one, either.)

--Bruce

bhodges

PS, just looked on YouTube for recent uploads, there's this one (with the Shostakovich) from the Trinity College Music Society, which looks mighty tasty. Just posted 9 days ago, will definitely listen soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-EnE0JE2Q

--Bruce