Mendelssohn's Octet

Started by James, March 30, 2008, 11:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I'm looking for a good recording of this any recommendations? Thanks in advance.  :-*
Action is the only truth

Brian

When I was first looking for this work, I stumbled on the Concertante Chamber Players' CD at the store, bought it, and loved it. I don't know who the group is, I've never heard anyone else talk about this disc, and I've never seen a review, but it's really good and I have never felt the need to look for another recording.  :)

There's a lot of love here for the Naxos disc with the Kodaly and Auer Quartets; I've heard it a few times and it sounds pretty much the same - so, it's really good too, but I don't need it because I already have a performance just like it.  :)

hildegard

Quote from: James on March 30, 2008, 11:23:19 AM
I'm looking for a good recording of this any recommendations? Thanks in advance.  :-*

You will have many good choices, I'm sure, but here's mine. It is a great Mendelssohn CD (2) overall; the Octet is brilliant, and the price is right!  ;D

Que

I have the Naxos, very nice but maybe not that big a deal - the Bruch octet on that disc is best IMO.

My favourite is by Hausmusik (HIP):    A very beautiful non-HIP performance:

And I'm myself wondering how this new issue is like, can anyone comment?

Q

Peregrine

Janacek/Smetana SQ's (1959). Unbeatable...
Yes, we have no bananas

head-case

Quote from: Que on March 30, 2008, 12:31:16 PM

And I'm myself wondering how this new issue is like, can anyone comment?

Q

I had their recording of some Brahms quintets, awful.  Sound was dismal, despite the SACD technology.

Saul

Quote from: hildegard on March 30, 2008, 12:23:09 PM
You will have many good choices, I'm sure, but here's mine. It is a great Mendelssohn CD (2) overall; the Octet is brilliant, and the price is right!  ;D

I own the same CD , stunning, very beautifully played.

val

QuoteJames

I'm looking for a good recording of this any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

The version of the Quartets Janacek and the Smetana is not recent, but remains the best I ever heard. It is in SUPRAPHON and it includes an extraordinary version of the first Trio by the Suk Trio.

Another remarkable version, the one of the Wiener Oktett (DECCA) including the best version of Beethoven's Septet.

FideLeo

Quote from: Saul on March 30, 2008, 09:00:10 PM
I own the same CD , stunning, very beautifully played.

I have this and the L'Archibudelli+Smithsonian recording (coupled with the Gade 8tet) which is even more stirring in some passages (e.g. the long crescendo at the end of 1st movement development section). 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

hautbois

Kodaly + Auer on Naxos, unbeatable price, and a performance with soul. Exciting and beautiful at the same time, grab it!

Howard  ;D

(No, i am not a salesperson for Naxos  :P)

hautbois

Quote from: James on March 31, 2008, 08:25:02 AM

This one?

Clips sound good.. the Andante & esp. that powerhouse final Presto mvt. 8)

Exactly. I know this piece quite well. You won't go wrong with this recording. The octet is actually VERY VERY difficult to perform. Many "recording artists" screw it up. Too many examples. This is not one of them. ENJOY!  ;D

Howard

MN Dave

Where does this one stand?

hautbois

Quote from: MN Dave on March 31, 2008, 08:37:32 AM

Never heard of it.  ;D But, one can never finish listening to all of them can they. (Except that guy who created the Eroica project website, maybe...)

Howard

MichaelRabin

BBC Mag (Radio 3 Building a Library) chose that Telarc CD for its top choice. Wonder if it any good?

Kullervo

Quote from: MN Dave on March 31, 2008, 08:37:32 AM

Crystal clear sound and good* performances. The price is right as well. :)

(meaning that it didn't sound distinctly bad enough to hinder my enjoyment of the pieces, but I'm probably not the greatest judge in these matters.)

Tyson

What!  No love for the Emersons + the Emersons?  I thought it gave a whole new meaning to the term "Playing with yourself".
At a loss for words.

Brian

Since this thread began early yesterday I've listened to the Octet three times.  ;D

Quote from: Tyson on March 31, 2008, 09:21:48 PM
What!  No love for the Emersons + the Emersons?  I thought it gave a whole new meaning to the term "Playing with yourself".
;D ;D ;D

hautbois

I listened to it...yeah...good effort...but yeah... ::)

Howard

ChamberNut

Yup, love it.  Let the insults fly.  ;)

Olias

Okay this thread is ancient but I didn't want to needlessly create a new one for the same topic.

I have a great period instrument recording of the Octet but was wanting recommendations for a modern instrument recording.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein