Elgar Cello Concerto Op. 85

Started by Zhiliang, April 02, 2008, 08:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samtrb

The Du pré recording i have of that concerto is the one live with her own husband Daniel B on Sony. Some people on this forum recommended it over Barbirolli's

eyeresist

Quote from: samtrb on April 02, 2008, 08:12:47 PM
The Du pré recording i have of that concerto is the one live with her own husband Daniel B on Sony. Some people on this forum recommended it over Barbirolli's
I have this as well as the Barbirolli. I haven't directly compared them, but I think the Barbirolli had better balanced, warmer sound. Interpretation with Barb is warm, very romantic; with Baren it's bleaker, more angular (perhaps a result of early MS). The Barenboim comes with a very good Enigma Variations: I usually lose concentration after Nimrod, but Barenboim sustains interest by strongly individualising the subsequent variations.

Guido

Quote from: BorisG on April 02, 2008, 07:26:01 PM
Don Quixote. Unfortunately, the coupled Lalo is under-recorded from a live concert.

A shame about the Lalo, as it is a really good performance of this (mediocre) work.

That Strauss Don Quixote may be my favourite account on record - the fact that it is one run through is just great, and her playing is sublime. There are other version that I adore too, but the live part of this makes it a very special recording.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away