Webern's Vibe

Started by karlhenning, April 02, 2008, 12:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: James on August 30, 2013, 04:09:35 AM
Coming soon .. the re-issue of the historic Sony recordings ..

[asin]B00EC0VW3S[/asin]

I will get it since yesterday I discovered that CD1 (maybe others) of my set has grown some digital rot and now plays with serious audio junk. [BTW, the link for the item does not work, gives me a 404 error.]

Opus106

Quote from: sanantonio on August 30, 2013, 04:25:26 AM
[BTW, the link for the item does not work, gives me a 404 error.]

The link works, it's probably Amazon US who haven't yet listed the item in their repository. Change the domain to one of the European ones.

While we're discussing new re-releases of Webern, let me add, by going off topic by two-thirds of the way, that Karajan's VSII recordings have apparently been boxed up. [Description says there's only one CD, though.]

[asin]B00DY9WWV[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Leo K.

Quote from: James on August 30, 2013, 04:09:35 AM
Coming soon .. the re-issue of the historic Sony recordings ..

[asin]B00EC0VW3S[/asin]

This set is still great, was listening to it yesterday.

Also, I'm again discovering Karajan's account of Symphony, Op.21 with the BPO on DG. Incredible! Perhaps my favorite Webern work.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Leo K. on March 20, 2014, 11:14:05 AM
Also, I'm again discovering Karajan's account of Symphony, Op.21 with the BPO on DG. Incredible! Perhaps my favorite Webern work.

I love the Symphony. At first I was puzzled by it,  ??? but suddenly everything came together and I got hooked on it, to the point that I had to listen to it every day for a while.

And I recently got that complete Sony set in its original LP incarnation (Columbia).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Leo K.

Quote from: Velimir on March 20, 2014, 03:45:05 PM
I love the Symphony. At first I was puzzled by it,  ??? but suddenly everything came together and I got hooked on it, to the point that I had to listen to it every day for a while.

And I recently got that complete Sony set in its original LP incarnation (Columbia).

I wouldn't be surprised if the original LPs has wonderful warm sound. Great find there!!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Leo K. on March 21, 2014, 08:43:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the original LPs has wonderful warm sound.

It does, yeah. But...it also has lots of pre-echo, which can be pretty distracting with music where silence plays a big role, as it does with Webern.

Still, I'm not gonna complain. It also comes with excellent notes and full texts, and an extended essay by the composer Humphrey Searle, who studied with Webern. Whereas from what I've heard, those cheap Sony box reissues come with no notes at all  >:(
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Quote from: Velimir on March 21, 2014, 07:05:21 PM
It does, yeah. But...it also has lots of pre-echo [....]

Cor, I'd clean forgot about that phenomenon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: jlaurson on March 25, 2014, 11:37:04 AM
Krzysztof Chorzelski, violist of the Belcea Quartet, talks Anton Webern and Charles Ives while enjoying a cold one.

Anton Webern, Langsamer Satz, and the Belcea Quartet 

http://konzerthaus.at/magazin/Home/tabid/41/entryid/345/Krzysztof-Chorzelski-violist-of-the-Belcea-Quartet-has-a-beer-and-talks-Anton-Webern-and-then-some.aspx

You really work for The Communist Time... er... The Washington Poist? (rhymes with 'moiust')

Where's everyone getting these great gigs? :o

"Webern rocks. So, er, buy his album. Dude."

(after cold ones)

"Fuckin' Webern man. Fuckin' rocks. Buy his fuckin' album dude."

Hire me. :-X

(btw- where in the WP am I missing you?) sorry, just read that Stockhausen review- not your fault- I'm being a dikkey :-[ $:)

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on May 06, 2014, 10:11:44 AM
You really work for The Communist Time... er... The Washington Poist? (rhymes with 'moiust')
Where's everyone getting these great gigs? :o
"Webern rocks. So, er, buy his album. Dude."
(after cold ones)
"Fuckin' Webern man. Fuckin' rocks. Buy his fuckin' album dude."
Hire me. :-X
(btw- where in the WP am I missing you?) sorry, just read that Stockhausen review- not your fault- I'm being a dikkey :-[ $:)

Haven't written for the WaPo in eons. Don't live there anymore, either. Sorry to disappoint.  :(

snyprrr

Quote from: jlaurson on May 06, 2014, 10:21:00 AM
Haven't written for the WaPo in eons. Don't live there anymore, either. Sorry to disappoint.  :(

How could I be disappointed that someone actually made it out alive? Good for you, haha!!

EigenUser

I watched Webern's "Six Pieces for Orchestra" on the Berlin DCH last night. I was expecting myself to just sit through it confused. I did feel puzzled, but the music also made me feel quite sad. Especially in the last piece (or it may have been the fifth, I forget) -- this lyrical violin solo played and it just seemed like -- so out of place. Like a shard of romanticism that just wasn't wanted in the post-WWI world. In this respect it almost made me think of Ravel's spectacular "La Valse", but the Ravel's out-of-place 19th century puts up a fight whereas Webern's wanders in, sees that it isn't wanted, and leaves quietly. I was surprised to get some sort of emotional response from this. It seemed so academic before.

EDIT: By the way, I love how when I searched for "Webern" in the composer thread the engine responds "You may have meant 'Weber'". :laugh:
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

snyprrr

Who out-Weberns Webern? Seriously asking (in crystalline purity and economy, etc.,...)

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on May 18, 2014, 05:14:25 PM
Who out-Weberns Webern? Seriously asking (in crystalline purity and economy, etc.,...)

I think this is a really interesting question - who wrote music where you can hear the strong influence of the op 27 variations, the op 28 quartet, the op 30 Variations for orchestra? I hope someone will answer.

You (at least I think it was you) wrote a post ages ago saying that you prefer the hyper-expressionistic late Schoenberg to the hyper-pure late Webern. You gave the AS's op 45 trio as an example, comparing it unfavorably with AW's op 20. I feel the opposite in fact.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

EigenUser

Quote from: snyprrr on May 18, 2014, 05:14:25 PM
Well, no one. The closest anyone has come is probably Feldman even though the result is totally different. That being said, no one out-Feldmans Feldman. 8)
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

snyprrr

Quote from: James on May 19, 2014, 01:29:18 AM
No one out Webern's Webern. He was his own man! (as it should be) Webern had tremendous influence on many composers, and I reckon he still is an inspiration to musicians from all over who come into contact with his thing. But most of the reputable ones developed their own voice and didn't end up being an imitation of him. (as it should be)

that's what i thought

Quote from: Mandryka on May 18, 2014, 10:32:13 PM
I think this is a really interesting question - who wrote music where you can hear the strong influence of the op 27 variations, the op 28 quartet, the op 30 Variations for orchestra? I hope someone will answer.

You (at least I think it was you) wrote a post ages ago saying that you prefer the hyper-expressionistic late Schoenberg to the hyper-pure late Webern. You gave the AS's op 45 trio as an example, comparing it unfavorably with AW's op 20. I feel the opposite in fact.

boy! takin those memory pills huh?!! haha - someone (James?) mentioned the two of them playing musical hopscotch! I guess I was saying AS won- only because Webern was SHOT!!

snyprrr

I guess, after Webern, it went from 'economy of means' to 'proliferation of means'? Webern distilled it, and then Boulez went and added the yeast?

Brahmsian

First Listen to Disc 4 - Lieder

Some gorgeous stuff!  :)

Christiane Oelze, soprano
Eric Schneider, piano

[asin]B00004R9F0[/asin]

EigenUser

Is there anything Webern composed that is as frightening and powerful as the end of the 4th piece from "Six Pieces for Orchestra"?

I'm addicted to this!! All of them!