Giacinto Scelsi (1905-1988)

Started by bhodges, April 04, 2008, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Hymnos continues the aural juggernaut. Literally, this Scelsi set is overwhelming! :o I'm exhausted! ???

I'm trying to distinguish between the inner movements of these pieces, but wow, these pieces are something else! Wow! :o

Where do you go after Scelsi, haha?? ???

These pieces remind me of standing in the DC museums as a young child, so overwhelmed with the sheer size of the buildings, and the things in them. They sound like giant hallways.

snyprrr

Ugh, I've overdosed on Scelsi lately,... I feel like I've got bells ringing in my ears! Ahhh :o

lescamil

Scelsi is like alcohol: great in manageable doses, but it can be overwhelming or potentially harmful in large doses. I'd much rather get Scelsi-drunk, though!
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

Quote from: lescamil on December 28, 2011, 08:44:49 PM
Scelsi is like alcohol: great in manageable doses, but it can be overwhelming or potentially harmful in large doses. I'd much rather get Scelsi-drunk, though!

Wazzzat?? ???...uh,...(stumbles around)...oh oh, yea, Scelsi,...burp! :o... CRASH!!...

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on December 21, 2011, 11:52:24 AM
Scelsi: Works for Choir & Orchestra (Accord 3cd)

I am scarcely into the 4 Pezzi and Anahit when I feel like I could just cocoon away for the next two weeks with Scelsi. I have purposely stayed away from this music until I had this set, and now it's time. Just considering that the 4 Pezzi were actually an instant hit in 1959 makes one wonder WHO actually heard this, and was influenced. WHO?

I'm practically bursting with anticipation! I'm only going to listen to these two pieces until I can't stand it. 4 Pezzi reminds me partially of Punkte (though I haven't heard the 1952 version- is it on YT?), and I say so because I just heard that for the first time recently, so, of course you can trust my impartiality! ;) ;D 8)

I guess it's been about two months now with this set, which has effortlessly skyrocketed into Heavy Rotation! I have been listening regularly, studying, and I thick I can break it down like this:

A) Quattro Pezzi (1959): truly single notes, no 'spectralization' as in later works, only 'vibrato' fluctuations

*Chukrum (1963): this piece, though written a little later, 'feels' more like it belongs to the 'note' period, rather than
                               the more 'saturated' later pieces. Especially when one considers this as a 'strings only' piece
                               (like the other (*) pieces), it is in bold relief to them in terms of simplicity. This piece reminds me of
                               Penderecki.

B) Hurqualia (1960)
    Aion (1961)

Both of these seem to have the most 'movement', having 'features' which definitely distinguish them from others.
    Hurqualia's opening is 'Da Bomb' in terms of Scelsi at his coolest. These two still seem to work on single notes, without
    spectral harmonization, using only 'vibrato' fluctuations. Aion seems the most peaceful and static of most of the works.
    To me, these are like Symphonies.

C) Hymnos (1963)
    Anahit (1965)
    *Anagamin (1965)
    *Ohoi (1966)
    *Natura Renovatur (1967)

These all exhibit the saturating 'spectral' harmonies that thicken the texture in Scelsi towards The Infinite. These are
    absolutely some of the most mystical sounding musics ever composed. All may at first glance seem amorphous, but
    EXTREME concentration (which IS what these pieces DEMAND!) repays a universe of detail. Enough... you know! ;)

D) Uaxuctum (1966): this may be the coolest of all, with creepy horror movie sounds from the choir, and the ondes'
                               evocative tone. It's the one based on the imaginary destruction of the Mayans (Aztecs?). It appears
                               this one is more like the earlier 'note' pieces rather than the later, more 'saturated' pieces.

E) Konx-Om-Pax (1969): this seems like a late '60s 'summing up' piece, with two hefty, pacific,  outer movements flanking a
                                    two minute whirlwind. This one I've listened to the least so far (no criticism).

F) Pfhat (1974): besides such a funny Title, this one stands out as being THE most refined expression of Scelsi's art.
                        It is also the shortest. This is special, and very spare and reverent sounding,... almost 'churchy'.

*Elohim (date unknown?): this is the last 'strings only' piece, and 'sounds' more like '70s Scelsi, very nice as a stand alone.

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on February 16, 2012, 08:59:39 AM
I guess it's been about two months now with this set,

Hmmm, to be pedantic, half of what you listed isn't on the set: Anagamin, Ohoi, Natura Renovatur and Elohim and they are more like ensemble works rather than orchestral.

I like Elohim a lot; heard it once in concert in the mid 90s (with Quattro Pezzi, Varèse's Amériques and the premiere of Xenakis' Dämmerschein--yes, I was there and got X to sign my programme notes 8)) and I was awe-struck. The set up was string quartet with the amplified instruments on tape; the effect of the tape sounds (similar to recorded string sounds played backwards, i.e. long attack and abrupt decay) and the interplay with the real strings was truly memorable.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on February 16, 2012, 09:30:34 AM
Hmmm, to be pedantic, half of what you listed isn't on the set: Anagamin, Ohoi, Natura Renovatur and Elohim and they are more like ensemble works rather than orchestral.

Those four are on the Forlane disc, which I've had for a while, but haven't really payed attention to until I got the Set. I needed to hear everything together. Those string pieces are just as important as the Set, though, and I highly recommend everyone get those also; perhaps the sound on the Forlane isn't the last word, though,... maybe.

I still haven't felt confident enough to start integrating the Chamber Works into the rotation. I'm giving Scelsi all the due that he appears to DEMAND!!! :o I've been concentrating on SQs 2-3, though.

Slowly, I'm beginning to 'sense' Scelsi.

bumtz

I just got the Accord set myself, and also got stuck on it. Listening to it on repeat for three days now. Not sure how one gets off Scelsi, not sure I want to.

bhodges

Quote from: bumtz on March 27, 2012, 11:28:00 AM
I just got the Accord set myself, and also got stuck on it. Listening to it on repeat for three days now. Not sure how one gets off Scelsi, not sure I want to.

Hypnotic stuff, isn't it! Definitely a unique talent, with a singular sound world.

I fantasize about Alan Gilbert programming Quattro Pezzi on a New York Philharmonic concert. (Not sure what else he would put with it, though.)

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on March 27, 2012, 11:35:37 AM
(Not sure what else he would put with it, though.)

Could be some Henning would go with that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DieNacht

Quote from: Brewski on March 27, 2012, 11:35:37 AM
Hypnotic stuff, isn't it! Definitely a unique talent, with a singular sound world.

I fantasize about Alan Gilbert programming Quattro Pezzi on a New York Philharmonic concert. (Not sure what else he would put with it, though.)

--Bruce

Bruckner - 9 or 8 ! The building itself would probably levitate ...  :)

snyprrr

Quote from: bumtz on March 27, 2012, 11:28:00 AM

Yup. That's what happens.

snyprrr

It was about 100 degrees the other day, a perfect day for Scelsi's music apparently! The oppresive heat DOES seem to translate into Scelsi's somewhat pulsating hazy thick textures just hanging in the air. Aion especially had me visualizing vast halls or fields that went on and on against a blue sky. I CAN listen to Scelsi during the daytime! (as opposed to a lot of Modern Music)

Mirror Image

Count me as another member who seems to have been bitten by the Scelsi bug. :) I just bought that 3-CD set of orchestral works as well. How do some of these performances compare to the ones on Mode? Anyone?

Mirror Image

Hhhhhhheeeeeelllllllllooooooo?!?!?!? Anyone in here? :laugh:

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 03:15:33 PM
Count me as another member who seems to have been bitten by the Scelsi bug. :) I just bought that 3-CD set of orchestral works as well. How do some of these performances compare to the ones on Mode? Anyone?

I don't know, but,... really? ::) ;) The old timey sound is part of the ancient charm, no?

ok, I guess state of the art versions are allowed. :P The Stradivarius label also has a new set of mixed works. Glad you made it here.

bwwwwoooouuuuwwwwrrrrrr   brrrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwwrrrrrrrr  brrrrrroooowwwwrrr

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 30, 2013, 04:41:43 PM
I don't know, but,... really? ::) ;) The old timey sound is part of the ancient charm, no?

ok, I guess state of the art versions are allowed. :P The Stradivarius label also has a new set of mixed works. Glad you made it here.

bwwwwoooouuuuwwwwrrrrrr   brrrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwwrrrrrrrr  brrrrrroooowwwwrrr

It's good to be here. Yeah, the Stradavarius label seems like a good bet. I'll probably dip into those at some point. I need to quit thinking about the awesome power of Uaxuctum right now. I mean seriously this work blew my mind. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What as the first work you heard by Scelsi, snyprrr?

kyjo

Just finished listening to Uaxuctum on YouTube. Well.......that was interesting, to say the very least! I can't say I liked it much at all, but it certainly was unlike anything I had ever heard before. I'm not sure if I would even call it "classical" in the general sense of the term. I'll be investigating more of Scelsi's music, but it'll be more of a chore than a pleasure, I'm afraid. From what little I've read about him, he had a life just as interesting as his music. Would those more knowledgeable of Scelsi's music than I am be so kind as to please direct me to what some of his best works are? Much appreciated. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 05:28:06 PM
Just finished listening to Uaxuctum on YouTube. Well.......that was interesting, to say the very least! I can't say I liked it much at all, but it certainly was unlike anything I had ever heard before. I'm not sure if I would even call it "classical" in the general sense of the term. I'll be investigating more of Scelsi's music, but it'll be more of a chore than a pleasure, I'm afraid.

??? ::)

Oh dear...I don't even know where to start with this post...

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 05:39:53 PM
??? ::)

Oh dear...I don't even know where to start with this post...

What do you mean? I listened to the piece and gave my honest opinion, what more do you want? ::) I don't sugarcoat things, John. If I don't like something, I sure as hell won't cover up that fact. You can't expect me to like every single damn thing I hear.