Giacinto Scelsi (1905-1988)

Started by bhodges, April 04, 2008, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 05:42:07 PM
What do you mean? I listened to the piece and gave my honest opinion, what more do you want? ::) I don't sugarcoat things, John. If I don't like something, I sure as hell won't cover up that fact. You can't expect me to like every single damn thing I hear.

I don't expect you to like everything you hear. That's certainly true, but your whole negative attitude with music that isn't somehow 'lyrical' or 'melodic' or fits into the little imaginary bubble you have created is utter bullshit. Sorry, I had to say that but I don't sugarcoat things either. All I asked is that you were open-minded about what you just heard and I can't say I honestly believe that you were trying to be genuinely open-minded or at least get something out of the music. Music like this must be listened to on it's own terms and not the ones you have created for yourself.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 05:48:31 PM
I don't expect you to like everything you hear. That's certainly true, but your whole negative attitude with music that isn't somehow 'lyrical' or 'melodic' or fits into the little imaginary bubble you have created is utter bullshit. Sorry, I had that but I don't sugarcoat things either. All I asked is that you were open-minded about what you just heard and I can't say I honestly believe that you were trying to be genuinely open-minded or at least get something out of the music. Music like this must be listened to on it's own terms and not the ones you have created for yourself.

Major eye roll. ::) I listened with an open mind, but doing so doesn't guarantee you'll connect to the music that you are listening to. I listened intently to the music-all the textural details, everything. The fact that you assume I didn't listen with an open mind is a very poor judgement on your part. Let me reiterate-I DID NOT HATE THE PIECE! It's just that Scelci's style doesn't appeal to me, just like some of the composers who I like composed in styles that don't appeal to you. Again, I'm not giving up on Scelsi, because I'm not the person you are making me out to be that has rigid, unflappable tastes. You're my buddy and all, John, but remember that I didn't blow up on you when you expressed your dislike for composers I recommended to you, such as Nystroem. And, by the way, why are you talking to me about being too cautious of a listener when there are people out there who won't venture beyond Tchaikovsky! ::)

Mirror Image

I'm sorry for snapping at you, Kyle. Please accept my apology. I shouldn't be telling anyone how to listen to music. I suppose my enthusiasm for this Scelsi work got the better of me and I took your comments too personally. All I was trying to do was share something I thought you would enjoy. So, yes, you certainly aren't expected to enjoy everything you hear just as the same applies to myself.

kyjo

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 06:00:51 PM
I'm sorry for snapping at you, Kyle. Please accept my apology. I shouldn't be telling anyone how to listen to music. I suppose my enthusiasm for this Scelsi work got the better of me and I took your comments too personally. All I was trying to do was share something I thought you would enjoy. So, yes, you certainly aren't expected to enjoy everything you hear just as the same applies to myself.

Apology accepted. :) I will always be glad to try out anything you recommend to me, just please expect any type of reaction from me! I'm almost as unpredictable as you are, after all! ;D

P.S. May this day, September 29, 2013, go down in GMG history as the first major brawl between our two lunatics-in-residence! :P :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 06:06:56 PM
Apology accepted. :) I will always be glad to try out anything you recommend to me, just please expect any type of reaction from me! I'm almost as unpredictable as you are, after all! ;D

P.S. May this day, September 29, 2013, go down in GMG history as the first major brawl between our two lunatics-in-residence! :P :laugh:

Thanks, Kyle. The only difference here is we both have sense enough to let things go unlike some members here who will hang things over your head forever or so it seems.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 06:02:41 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand your allusion, Ray. :)

It's a Foot Locker employee handing you a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's Factory.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 04:47:14 PM
It's good to be here. Yeah, the Stradavarius label seems like a good bet. I'll probably dip into those at some point. I need to quit thinking about the awesome power of Uaxuctum right now. I mean seriously this work blew my mind. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What as the first work you heard by Scelsi, snyprrr?

I had the SQs, but I heard the Box for the first time last year (see my agape reaction above). Uaxuctum sounds like the perfect zombi soundtrack!! I hear all the ruins,... the dead voices. I like the hissing and such.

It all has that ancient pre-Exorcist type feel for me. woooooo

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Thanks, Kyle. The only difference here is we both have sense enough to let things go unlike some members here who will hang things over your head forever or so it seems.

Yeah, it's senseless to keep animosities in place after a disagreement has occurred. Forgive and forget, I always say. :)

kyjo

Quote from: snyprrr on September 30, 2013, 06:13:25 PM
Uaxuctum sounds like the perfect zombi soundtrack!!

Now that I can agree with! :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 30, 2013, 06:13:25 PM
I had the SQs, but I heard the Box for the first time last year (see my agape reaction above). Uaxuctum sounds like the perfect zombie soundtrack!! I hear all the ruins,... the dead voices. I like the hissing and such.

It all has that ancient pre-Exorcist type feel for me. woooooo

Yeah, I thought the work was freakin' cool and Scelsi will be my Composer of the Month for October. And how fitting that you mentioned zombies and such. This work does inhabit such an eerie sound-world. I love it.

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 30, 2013, 06:13:09 PM
It's a Foot Locker employee handing you a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's Factory.

Ohhhhh.....it's been ages since I've watched that movie......

snyprrr

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 30, 2013, 06:13:09 PM

I thought it was a yellow flag for spatting, lolz!?!?! Too much starch in the you know you know?!?! :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh:

Scelsi does have brief moments of fleeting melody, and are all the more powerful for the scarcity.

snyprrr

Mirror Image

I guess this is one reason I liked the work because, as a kid, I used to watch a lot of horror movies and the soundtracks always sounded so awesome to me, especially one like Poltergeist or like whoever did the first Hellraiser...oh...I just looked it up, it's Christopher Young.

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 06:02:41 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand your allusion, Ray. :)

Yeah, it's a yellow card for fighting (you and John).  I was just being cheeky.  :P

kyjo

I never liked horror movies, not even when I was a kid, so maybe that would explain my reaction towards that Scelsi work ;)......

P.S. Hey, Halloween's coming up! I think I know now what will scare the little children more than any scary decorations......I should do a Mayan theme to decorate my house to go along with the Scelsi work. Not a bad idea if I say so myself! 8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 06:29:04 PM
I never liked horror movies, not even when I was a kid, so maybe that would explain my reaction towards that Scelsi work ;)......

P.S. Hey, Halloween's coming up! I think I know now what will scare the little children more than any scary decorations......

Hmm, I'll have to listen to this Scelsi work.  I love scary, spooky music.  That's why I love Penderecki's Polymorphia;D

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 30, 2013, 06:27:20 PM
Yeah, it's a yellow card for fighting (you and John).  I was just being cheeky.  :P

I always appreciate a comic relief to enter such situations! :D