David Lang (b. 1957)

Started by bhodges, April 08, 2008, 06:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Last fall I heard David Lang's The Little Match Girl Passion (2007) at Carnegie Hall, and liked it a lot, so I was happy to find out the piece won this year's Pulitzer Prize.  And Carnegie Hall is streaming it on its website, so anyone who wants to give it a listen can do so here.

Other pieces of his I've enjoyed in recent years:

The So-Called Laws of Nature (2002)
I Lie (2001)
Little Eye (1999)
The Passing Measures (1998)
Cheating, Lying, Stealing (1996) - Its percussion includes two "antiphonal brakedrums."  :D

Here is a list of his works on Schirmer's site.

And here is the Pulitzer site with a sample page from the score (admittedly small) and some notes.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Only one post? ??? Anyway, I've just come by to plug Lang's Death Speaks. Listened to this work in its' entirety today and was quite moved by the music.

TheGSMoeller

David Lang is great, I've been thoroughly enjoying getting to know his art the past few years.
Get these!

[asin]B00008SH8D[/asin] [asin]B0027YUK6G[/asin] [asin]B000005TVE[/asin]

Mirror Image

Don't like Death Speaks, Greg? :-\

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 08, 2016, 03:48:55 PM
Don't like Death Speaks, Greg? :-\

Just commented on it in another thread.  :)

BTW, Lang was nominated for an Oscar this year with Simple Song #3 from the film Youth. And sung by Sumi Jo.
Soak yourself in this beauty...

https://www.youtube.com/v/UCVnFUUI6X4

Mirror Image

Great, Greg! I'll check out that YT video you posted a bit later. Listening to Reich's The Desert Music right now. :)

snyprrr

NOOOOOO ??? ???

tHE GUY WHO ARRANGED 'BORN TO bE wILD' FOR PERCUSSION??? (whoops!)

Seriously, you'd have to help me out here, and that song didn't do it... David Lang,... not Klaus?

I thought I had another piece around... maybe not...

I'll check some stuff out on YT...

SimonNZ

I remember being particularly impressed by the works on the Naxos "Pierced" cd. Must give that another play later today:

edit: and in finding that image I learn for the first time that Anonymous 4 have done a disc of his music: