Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Quote from: Que on April 07, 2007, 11:49:53 AM

That's the only one I have. Should I be looking for anything more?

BachQ

I don't know why I haven't purchased this yet (Brahms Sym 2 with Kleiber/VPO on DVD):

Some reviews by GMGers

Kleiber Brahms 2nd Symphony DVD

Kleiber Brahms 2nd Symphony DVD

The Amazon reviews are even more glowing . . . . . . .

Mozart

Brahms was a sexy bitch until he grew that beard.

BachQ

2007 DVD of Brahms Double Concerto:

Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, Gidon Kremer, Guiseppe Sinopoli, Marta Sudraba (released February 27, 2007)

BachQ

Quote from: Mozart on April 07, 2007, 12:09:48 PM
Brahms was a sexy bitch until he grew that beard.

Too bad Mozart was never able to grow a beard . . . . . .  :D

Que

Quote from: MrOsa on April 07, 2007, 12:04:57 PM
That's the only one I have. Should I be looking for anything more?

It was my first and I'm still satisfied with it. It's my only recording with Perlman, so that says something.. ;D

But I like the Suk/Navarra and the Schneiderhan/Starker also very much - either one is recommended if you're looking for a different angle.

Q

Maciek

No, I really like it. Just wanted to make sure... ;D

Guido

Is the Rostropovich/Perlman as good as the Rostropovich/Oistrakh?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Scott

Does my avatar tell you how I feel about Brahms?
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

Que

Quote from: Guido on April 07, 2007, 03:49:03 PM
Is the Rostropovich/Perlman as good as the Rostropovich/Oistrakh?

I like it much better.
But I'm in a minority: the Rostropovich/Perlman/Haitink is hardly ever mentioned, while the Rostropovich/Oistrakh/Szell is generally dubbed as a legendary recording. I was never impressed with the latter - same for the coupled LvB triple concerto BTW.

Q

Mozart

BachQ

Quote from: Scott on April 07, 2007, 06:48:47 PM
Does my avatar tell you how I feel about Brahms?

Your avatar has us asking for MORE . . . . . .  For example, are there any recordings that you keep turning to?  Any recordings that "nail it, hands down" ?

Novi

Brahms is right up there amongst my favourites.

The Carlos Kleiber 4th was what first got me into Brahms's works and it's still one of my favourites among all symphonies. I've been getting to know the other ones a bit better recently (Walter, both NYPO and ColSO).

I also love the D minor piano concerto. In fact, this work was what got me interested in the genre itself. Fleisher/Szell was my first recording and I still like this very much, but for a more expansive reading, I go to Arrau/Giulini. The B flat concerto took a while longer but I'm really enjoying it as well these days. Here, it's Richter/Leinsdorf all the way. Amazing performance from Richter.

Solo piano: I don't have many recordings to compare with, but Lupu in the Intermezzi, Michelangeli's Ballades. Also Fleisher's Handel Variations. Again, these took some time for me to get into.

Chamber: as far as I remember, I think Brahms's various trios were the first chamber works aside from string quartets that I started listening to. The horn trio was a revelation - I never realised what a beautiful sound the horn could be until then.   

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Que

Quote from: Novitiate on April 08, 2007, 04:29:18 AM
Chamber: as far as I remember, I think Brahms's various trios were the first chamber works aside from string quartets that I started listening to. The horn trio was a revelation - I never realised what a beautiful sound the horn could be until then.   

Brahms wrote the trio for natural horn. For another revelation I can recommend a recording with that - if you not already haven't got it, of course! :)

Try this with Lowel Greer, first issued on Harmonia Mundi. Very nice coupling with Beethoven. Ridiculously cheap BTW. The phrase on the cover: "absolutely gorgeous" is true for a change.. 8)

Q

P.S. Forgot to mention that this means that it is a HIP recording - with period instruments. So a fortepiano (Steven Lubin) and a violin with gut strings (Stepanie Chase) is included in the deal. But you'll see how marvelous that works in terms of balance between the instruments and the sound picture.

Novi

Quote from: Que on April 08, 2007, 04:44:33 AM
Brahms wrote the trio for natural horn. For another revelation I can recommend a recording with that - if you not already haven't got it, of course! :)

Try this with Lowel Greer, first issued on Harmonia Mundi. Very nice coupling with Beethoven. Ridiculously cheap BTW. The phrase on the cover: "absolutely gorgeous" is true for a change.. 8)

Q

P.S. Forgot to mention that this means that it is a HIP recording - with period instruments. So a fortepiano (Steven Lubin) and a violin with gut strings (Stepanie Chase) is included in the deal. But you'll see how marvelous that works in terms of balance between the instruments and the sound picture.

Thanks for the recommendation, Que. No issues at all with HIP and period instruments 8).

In fact, I'd been looking for another recording since I've only the BAT and friends Philips 2fer. I'd been looking at Brain/Busch/Serkin on Pearl with the Clarinet quintet (Kell), which I will probably get one of these days, but the Greer one is obviously very different and I'm keen to hear a natural horn version. You're right - it's ridiculously cheap. I'm just waiting for JPC to deliver now :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

BachQ

Quote from: Novitiate on April 08, 2007, 04:29:18 AM
I also love the D minor piano concerto. In fact, this work was what got me interested in the genre itself. Fleisher/Szell was my first recording and I still like this very much, but for a more expansive reading, I go to Arrau/Giulini. The B flat concerto took a while longer but I'm really enjoying it as well these days. Here, it's Richter/Leinsdorf all the way. Amazing performance from Richter.

You're a marvelous, wonderful person . . . . . . .  8)

DetUudslukkelige

I love his symphonies - the fourth is one of my all time favorites, particularly the Furtwängler and Toscanini recordings, in spite of the dated sound. Ein Deutsches Requiem, in addition, is one of my top 5 favorite musical works period (Klemperer is my favorite here).

Still, I see Brahms also as a Lieder composer. Anyone here heard Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's five-disc set of assorted Brahms lieder? I have fallen in love with several of these, like "Von Ewiger Liebe/ Of eternal love", and I honestly never knew a human voice could carry such emotion. Anyone else a fan of Brahms lieder and know of good recordings?
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther

BachQ

Brahms Violin Concerto

For an excellent summary (with brief review) of recordings of Brahms' Violin Concerto, CLICK HERE for Harry Collier's thread

Other GMG links:

--      Brahms VC Revisited by Rabin-Fan

--      Brahms Violin Concerto

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DetUudslukkelige on April 08, 2007, 08:19:59 AM
Still, I see Brahms also as a Lieder composer. Anyone here heard Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's five-disc set of assorted Brahms lieder?

Anyone else a fan of Brahms lieder and know of good recordings?

Brahms' lieder is vastly underrated...on par in quality to any songs I know.

It's a shame lieder (song) gets such scant attention from the public but the form hits home with me in a big way.

As far as recordings, I've heard parts of that Fischer-Dieskau set on Brilliant and agree it's fabulous!

Other recordings I enjoy are Lemieux on Analekta, Banse on CPO, and Von Otter on DG.

Oh, and not to forget the monumental Liebeslieder Walzes, Op.52 & 65. Works so good you'll almost forget about the symphonies! ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Vocal-wise, one could do worse than these fine works, as well:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach