Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

op.110

Oistrakh and Brahms; I need not to say anything more.

not edward

Quote from: op.110 on May 20, 2008, 10:13:37 AM
Oistrakh and Brahms; I need not to say anything more.
These are indeed excellent. Have you heard the 2nd sonata with Richter on this live Orfeo? I think it's on an even higher plane.

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

greg

Quote from: Auferstehung on May 17, 2008, 11:10:32 AM
Goddamn, Furtwangler's Brahms 1 is one high-voltage performance. I just got shocked by it.

Quote from: M forever on May 17, 2008, 03:37:50 PM
It would be fun to hear you try to pronounce the name "Furtwängler". Could you record a clip of that and post it here?

Quote from: MN Dave on May 17, 2008, 03:40:21 PM
fart-wiggler? ;)

Quote from: M forever on May 18, 2008, 02:04:52 PM
I have no idea how that is pronounced.

I only know very little about Chinese culture. But I don't imagine I do either. That's why I don't post nonsense about it on internet forums.

Just like you know very little about German culture. But you imagine you do. That's why you shouldn't post nonsense about it on internet forums.

Quote from: Auferstehung on May 18, 2008, 11:29:41 PM
That's amusing.

I need to know about German culture to listen to German music? And when did I post any nonsense about German culture? I make posts against you, not your culture, if you want to be a hero and defend your people.
ah, good times.......

op.110

Quote from: edward on May 20, 2008, 10:32:45 AM
These are indeed excellent. Have you heard the 2nd sonata with Richter on this live Orfeo? I think it's on an even higher plane.

I WANT IT!

BachQ

Bonehelm

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on May 20, 2008, 11:13:01 AM
ah, good times.......

You know what's even better? If 71dB chimed in the discussion and started producing multidimensional longitudunal maxillary-aural circumferantial astoundingly hexagonic pentagonal hermaphroditic vibrational gravity sound waves.

Harry

Quote from: Auferstehung on May 25, 2008, 11:28:29 PM
You know what's even better? If 71dB chimed in the discussion and started producing multidimensional longitudunal maxillary-aural circumferantial astoundingly hexagonic pentagonal hermaphroditic vibrational gravity sound waves.

O, you have done your homework....... ;D

greg

Quote from: Auferstehung on May 25, 2008, 11:28:29 PM
No, those types of waves aren't multidimensional enough for this discussion......
you'd have to add seasoning..... like the ashes/remains of Sir Edward Elgar.

mn dave

I read somewhere that Brahms "played" with toy soldiers. Is this true? Or was he merely a collector? Or perhaps he had his friends over for some war games?  ;D

M forever

Yes, Brahms collected tin soldiers for a long time. Apparently, he also liked to play with them.

Greta

I had a friend with too much money that liked to collect toy soldiers, the high end kind, incredibly detailed with the little scenery and amazing paint work, cannons to boot, reenacting specific scenes from the Civil War, he was a huge history buff. Not allowed to touch them, no, no, just for pretty in a case - cost up to $500 per set...  ;D  :o

BachQ

CLASSICAL: REVIEW

All Brahms Program: Orchestra rose to Angelich's challenge
KEN WINTERS

Special to The Globe and Mail
May 31, 2008
Toronto Symphony Orchestra / Nicholas Angelich, piano / Yannick Nézet-Séguin, conductor

Angelich, 38, not widely known this side of the Atlantic, is a formidable artist, with every note of Brahms's daunting piano part in this concerto thoroughly within his musical and technical grasp. His was a big performance, strong, incisive, spacious yet always lyrical, too.  ***. The flying chords and scintillating trills of the opening, the gossamer rapid-fire double octaves of the scherzo, and the major fireworks of the finale were all perfectly judged and timed. The orchestra rose to Angelich's challenge with a mercurially adroit accompaniment under the dynamic young conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin, who seemed to be working without a score and who followed Angelich like his own shadow. Nézet-Séguin is a climactic sort of conductor, given to extreme contrasts and seismic crescendos, perhaps too frequently hitting the top of the orchestra's dynamic range. But his vitality, his complete awareness of what's in Brahms's grand musical scheme and his musical talent are unmistakable, infectious when they do not overwhelm.

*** After intermission, in Brahms's Fourth Symphony, which the legendary Brahmsian Herbert von Karajan said was one of the four most difficult symphonies in the repertoire, Nézet-Séguin exhibited the same super-exploitive tendencies in the dynamic layout of his concept of the piece as he did in the concerto, along with a tendency to speed up in the loud passages and slow down in the soft ones.

greg

Quote from: M forever on May 30, 2008, 10:11:32 PM
Yes, Brahms collected tin soldiers for a long time. Apparently, he also liked to play with them.
I can just imagine watching him sit in a room by himself, playing with his tin soldiers......

ah, so he WAS human!  ;D

ChamberNut

Lately, I can't get enough listens to Brahms' Cello Sonata in E minor, Op. 38

I have the Rostropovich/Serkin DG recording, and I just love the tone of Rostropovich's cello on this one!  :)

BachQ

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 02, 2008, 09:39:38 AM
Lately, I can't get enough listens to Brahms' Cello Sonata in E minor, Op. 38

Yeah, love the cello sonatas.

BachQ

BachQ