Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oabmarcus

Quote from: LapsangS on April 10, 2010, 01:31:26 AM
Brahms' music is very boring IMHO. I have never felt any deeper connection to it. I can listen to 2 Bruckner symphonies in one sitting but I could never listen a single Brahms symphony in it's entirety. I always fell asleep before the finale.

yes, i've had similar feelings in the past. But, after listening to a couple of great cycles (Sanderling+Giulini+Levine) + time for maturing. I am absolutely in love with is symphonies!

karlhenning

Love Brahms, and even more having recently re-played the two Opus 120 clarinet sonatas.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2010, 07:11:49 AM
Love Brahms, and even more having recently re-played the two Opus 120 clarinet sonatas.

Those are among my absolute favorite Brahms' works.  Both the original clarinet version and the version for viola.

Karl, can you say _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

Insert text!  :D

greg

Quote from: Brahmsian on May 17, 2010, 09:19:37 AM
Those are among my absolute favorite Brahms' works.  Both the original clarinet version and the version for viola.

Karl, can you say _ _ _ - _ _ _ _!

"Les-tard?"
How dare you!  >:(

karlhenning

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2010, 05:23:21 PM
(I'm puzzled.)
Actually, my guess at the fill in the blanks was "hell-yeah," but...

"lestard" is just a word I made up that would describe a retarded lesbian (and there are other words related to that).  ::)

kishnevi

Any particular recording you would recommend?  The one I have is Manasse/Nakamatsu on HM, but I'm always open to suggestions, particularly the viola version, of which I hadn't heard before.

George

Hell - yeah?

Opus106

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2010, 05:23:21 PM
(I'm puzzled.)

I'm guessing très cool, even though the first word is missing one letter.

Quote from: Greg on May 17, 2010, 05:33:13 PM

"lestard" is just a word I made up that would describe a retarded lesbian (and there are other words related to that).  ::)

I assumed it was a real (French) word/phrase -- and guess what! -- my translator says that it means "The Owl" (Les-tard) in French. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

OK, I removed the dash, as it is only one word.  :D  Sorry for the confusion.   ;D

So, it should be:

Karl, can you say _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

greg

Quote from: Opus106 on May 17, 2010, 09:40:56 PM
I assumed it was a real (French) word/phrase -- and guess what! -- my translator says that it means "The Owl" (Les-tard) in French. ;D
Ha  :D

Guido

Is there a finer composer for the alto voice than Brahms? The youthful alto rhapsody and then the late op.91 songs with viola (a wonderful, wonderful touch - the viola used just as sensitively as the voice, lying in much the same range of course - the timbral parallels he draws are so simple yet breathtaking) - somehow he captures the soul and beauty of this voice type better than any other - a perfect match with his artistic temperament perhaps.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

OK people, I admit I avoided listening to Brahms, because that bloke insulted my dear good old shy Bruckner so much - BUT: avoiding Brahms was a mistake. Listened to Symphony No. 4 yesterday (Levine) for about 24 hours and I must say it rocks.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Wurstwasser on October 27, 2010, 11:20:11 PM
OK people, I admit I avoided listening to Brahms, because that bloke insulted my dear good old shy Bruckner so much - BUT: avoiding Brahms was a mistake. Listened to Symphony No. 4 yesterday (Levine) for about 24 hours and I must say it rocks.
He does rock! As time goes on, I've actually grown to love all facets of his music. He was strong across the board with wonderful songs, solo music, chamber, etc.  There is just so much to explore. If you like lieder, there has been some interesting discussion on the Brahms lieder thread in the opera and vocal section of the forum.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Well, I like some Lieder. But first I have to go through the Mahler ones.

George

Quote from: Wurstwasser on October 27, 2010, 11:20:11 PM

Are you sure it wasn't Celibidache conducting?

;)

Florestan

Quote from: George on October 28, 2010, 02:59:35 AM
Are you sure it wasn't Celibidache conducting?

;)
Hey, 24-hour would have been the edited version (no repeats).  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

George

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on May 17, 2010, 05:33:13 PM

A "lestard" is someone who is retarded FOR lesbians, not a retarded lesbian.

As in, "you're such a GMG-tard".

Pettersson is a "mope-tard", and so forth.

SonicMan46

Well, this Brahms thread seems to have come to life again for the moment -  :D

I know that many of you have multiple Symphony cycles, and despite liking these works, I've not addressed my meager collection of just two (Klemperer & Mackerras; plus a number that have been culled out in the past) - Klemperer I like; Mackerras in these performances less so?

Now I'm sure that plenty of suggestions will be made - not only complete sets but recommendations for individual performances, but maybe an 'update' would help those w/ less listening exposure to these works make some wiser decisions - e.g. the one pictured below peeked my interest while reviewing the selections on Amazon?

So, please join in - what are your current favs in these works and are there new releases that should be considered?  Thanks all -  :)