Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Betrunken auf Brahms...

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 11, 2011, 09:32:11 PM
Saw a commercial for (essentially) arts education in public schools which featured a family of four being treated to a piano recital by a (comically fake bearded) Johannes, who offers as a cereal guaranteed to get their day off right a box of "Raisin Brahms".

Are you sure you didn't dream this?

Opus106

Quote from: eyeresist on September 12, 2011, 06:59:34 PM
Are you sure you didn't dream this?

It's very unlikely that both he and I had the exact dream at different points in time. If I remember correctly, Brian has posted a video of the ad before.
Regards,
Navneeth

Geo Dude

I recently worked my way through Katchen's complete Brahms set.  The more I listen, the more I like it, though the large shifts in volume and the rather thorny sonatas take some getting used to.

In any case, I've listened to three different recordings of the sonata #3 tonight; Katchen's, Jon Nakamatsu's, and Emanuel Ax's.  I felt that Katchen's was the winner; Nakamatsu's interpretation tended toward fast tempos and showed clear technical excellence but lacked the passion of Katchen, the second movement in particular was very strongly contrasting, and his tone wasn't quite as beautiful.  A solid performance, and one that I would recommend for those who feel that Brahms is ponderous or turgid, but not the first thing I would reach for.  The Ax was a pretty strong contender with more passion than Nakamatsu (and slightly slower tempos) and a beautiful tone, but lacked the profundity of Katchen.  I recommend all three depending on which way one's tastes lean, but damn is that Katchen sonata great.

I'll be exploring the mid to late period shorter solo piano works soon (Lupu, Nakamatsu, Ax, more Katchen) and based on the experience with the Katchen set thus far I greatly look forward to it.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Geo Dude

I'm glad to see this thread has been revived.  Let us know what you think.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Geo Dude on September 15, 2011, 06:09:07 PM
I recently worked my way through Katchen's complete Brahms set.  The more I listen, the more I like it, though the large shifts in volume and the rather thorny sonatas take some getting used to.

There's a really nice recording of the Brahms first PC with Katchen accompanied by Monteux and the London Symphony (Decca). Worth an audition if you ever get the chance.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Geo Dude

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 23, 2011, 09:55:17 PM
There's a really nice recording of the Brahms first PC with Katchen accompanied by Monteux and the London Symphony (Decca). Worth an audition if you ever get the chance.

Thanks, I see that he recorded both and a set is available that's OOP but still used at a reasonable price.  I may have to snag it on my next order.

On a different note, I've been working through Mackerras' and Wand's recordings of the symphonies, trying to get a feel for them (we spent years apart) and I listened to the Wand fourth tonight.  It is jaw-dropping!  I've never heard a fourth that is so....musical.  If anyone hasn't picked up Wand's set, I suggest digging through Amazon to find some of the recordings used for cheap.

Bogey

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 23, 2011, 07:01:41 PM
I'm glad to see this thread has been revived.  Let us know what you think.

Classic Lenny....nice strong drive with over the top moments that he makes work.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Geo Dude

Is anyone familiar with Brahms' orchestral serenades, Op. 11 and 16?  Have any thoughts on them?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 04, 2011, 06:27:09 AM
Is anyone familiar with Brahms' orchestral serenades, Op. 11 and 16?  Have any thoughts on them?
They are excellent. If you like Brahms, no need to hesitate. I have Kertesz, but there are some other good ones too.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Geo Dude

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 04, 2011, 06:30:10 AM
They are excellent. If you like Brahms, no need to hesitate. I have Kertesz, but there are some other good ones too.

I gave my first listen to the Mackerras recording yesterday.  I'm hoping to open up a discussion on these works.  Glad to see that you like them, too!

Josquin des Prez

I have Kertesz, but there are some other good ones too.

But not as good.

madaboutmahler

Still yet to listen to these serenades in full... :( Although what I have heard so far is so incredibly delightful!

Has anyone listened to the new Zinman set of the symphonies yet? If so, any thoughts?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

rappy

Quote from: Geo Dude on September 15, 2011, 06:09:07 PM
In any case, I've listened to three different recordings of the sonata #3 tonight; Katchen's, Jon Nakamatsu's, and Emanuel Ax's.  I felt that Katchen's was the winner; Nakamatsu's interpretation tended toward fast tempos and showed clear technical excellence but lacked the passion of Katchen, the second movement in particular was very strongly contrasting, and his tone wasn't quite as beautiful.  A solid performance, and one that I would recommend for those who feel that Brahms is ponderous or turgid, but not the first thing I would reach for.  The Ax was a pretty strong contender with more passion than Nakamatsu (and slightly slower tempos) and a beautiful tone, but lacked the profundity of Katchen.  I recommend all three depending on which way one's tastes lean, but damn is that Katchen sonata great.

I'll be exploring the mid to late period shorter solo piano works soon (Lupu, Nakamatsu, Ax, more Katchen) and based on the experience with the Katchen set thus far I greatly look forward to it.

Passion and profundity are terms I strongly connect with Katchen.

I compared some recordings of Op. 118 1 and 6 a while ago (Richter, Lang Lang, Katchen, Gieseking, Vogt, Perahia, Kempff) and the two Katchen recordings were the only ones of whom me and my friend were in agreement that they are the best (we listened and judged before looking up in which order they had been played).

Listen to the first sonata with Katchen. It's such an experience, he even manages to persuade you that this must be the greatest sonata ever written.

mszczuj

(Serenades)
They are excellent. If you like Brahms, no need to hesitate.

And if you really, really don't like him, they are probably the best way to begin to change your mind.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 06, 2011, 09:19:43 AM
Has anyone listened to the new Zinman set of the symphonies yet? If so, any thoughts?

Repeat of question. :D Has anyone heard the new Zinman set of the symphonies yet? And if so, would you recommend it?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Opus106 on September 12, 2011, 10:55:29 PM
It's very unlikely that both he and I had the exact dream at different points in time. If I remember correctly, Brian has posted a video of the ad before.
http://www.youtube.com/v/kKgBdrsqvjs

Florestan

I agree with the praises sung to them. They are stunning. Early, yet quintessential Brahms. Op. 11 might very well be my favorite orchestral Brahms ever, period.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Geo Dude

Quote from: Florestan on January 03, 2012, 06:02:39 AM
I agree with the praises sung to them. They are stunning. Early, yet quintessential Brahms. Op. 11 might very well be my favorite orchestral Brahms ever, period.  :)

I've grown to like them and even have a wind nonet reconstruction.  I have to admit, I was a bit surprised the first time I heard them.  I did not expect them to be so, well, Brahmsian.  I'm glad to know these works have a fair number of fans.