Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ataraxia

From the Brahms/Joachim Manifesto:

"That Liszt, what a jerk!"

Brahmsian

Speaking of Brahms' spuriously unpublished A major Piano Trio......has anyone heard it?  Any thoughts or comments on it?

*I have yet to hear this piece*

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: MN Dave on July 28, 2012, 05:25:04 AM
From the Brahms/Joachim Manifesto:

"That Liszt, what a jerk!"

Did he say so? :o If I hadn't been a great admirer of Brahms' works and musical skills......

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Que

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 24, 2012, 04:08:42 PM
Speaking of Brahms' spuriously unpublished A major Piano Trio......has anyone heard it?  Any thoughts or comments on it?

*I have yet to hear this piece*

Yes, and it is definitely by Brahms. You can also tell it's a less mature work, but Brahms was being rather silly in destroying works from his youth.

I guess he wanted only to be remembered as his later, bearded and grumpy self. 8)

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on September 26, 2012, 09:37:55 PM

I guess he wanted only to be remembered as his later, bearded and grumpy self. 8)

Q
Don't we all?

Chaszz

Chaszz

Quote from: Geo Dude on September 11, 2011, 05:48:35 AM
Having just read the entire thread, I recommend it to anyone new coming in.  There is a wealth of information present.

On a different note, I mentioned Brahms in an e-mail to an uncle and he commented that while he feels that the Ein Deustsches Requiem, first symphony, and first piano concerto are works descended directly from god that he doesn't listen to much Brahms because he feels that he has an overall tendency as an orchestrator toward "If five is good, ten is twice as good!"  Needless to say, I adamantly insisted that he listen to Brahms chamber music and will be burning him some discs of chamber works in hopes of coaxing him into buying a box set, or at least checking out recordings of those.  Currently, I plan on sending him recordings of the violin sonatas, clarinet sonatas, horn trio, and string sextets.  Any recommendation on other essentials I need to send his way?
The Piano Quintet.

SonicMan46

German Requiem - although one of my favorite choral works, I've not listened to a lot of different recordings; own the two below and today played them back to back; the Gardiner has been long in my collection; the Guttenberg, a newer acquisition (Fanfare review Reprinted HERE - I really enjoyed the latter!

So, not sure that we've had much discussion of favorite offerings of this work (unless there's a thread that I'm missing?), but any comments appreciated - :)

Brahmsian

I felt the Brahms' composer thread needed a 'nudge'.  :D

Big surprise:  I've been on a huge Brahms' listening binge the last week!!!  8) ;D

mahler10th

Giulini had two Brahms symphony sets, one with DG and the other with EMI.
Anyone any idea which one offers the best sound / orchetral playing?  There is something about almost all the Brahms I have which is dis-satisfying for me, and I do not know what it is.  I have Rattle and Solti (and Dorati, which is actually my favourite, but gets too high on the trebles.)  I even think Barenboim is too heavy handed...
So what of Giulini?  Satisfying?  Which set?
The DG set is available on the 'Newton Classics' label.

San Antone

Quote from: Scots John on March 13, 2013, 09:56:51 AM
Anyone any idea which one offers the best sound / orchetral playing?  There is something about almost all the Brahms I have which is dis-satisfying for me, and I do not know what it is.  I have Rattle and Solti (and Dorati, which is actually my favourite, but gets too high on the trebles.)  I even think Barenboim is too heavy handed...

Giulini's Brahms is not how I generally prefer the symphonies to be played.  He takes a "broad" pace, i.e. slow.  If that is to your taste, then his recordings with the Vienna Philharmonic are good.  I prefer Brahms done a bit quicker and with more spring in the step, e.g. Andrew Manze or John Gardiner.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Scots John on March 13, 2013, 09:56:51 AM

You could try the recently late Sawallisch/London Philharmonic, for the symphonies.  Through EMI.  The set also includes all of the concertos, with outstanding performances (especially Kovacevic in the Piano Concerti).

SonicMan46

Guys - did I really need another Brahms Symphony cycle?  ;) ;D

Well, picked up the one below from BRO for $12 - arrived while I was on vacation - will be part of my upcoming week's listening - Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 17, 2013, 02:38:19 PM
Guys - did I really need another Brahms Symphony cycle?  ;) ;D

Well, picked up the one below from BRO for $12 - arrived while I was on vacation - will be part of my upcoming week's listening - Dave :)

Hi Dave, which Brahms symphony cycles do you have?  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 17, 2013, 02:59:44 PM
Hi Dave, which Brahms symphony cycles do you have?  :)

Hi Ray - well, Klemperer from 1958-62, Dohnanyi w/ Clevelanders ('87-90), and Mackerras w/ Scottish CO (1997) - now since he wrote only 4 symphonies, I don't feel too bad about buying MORE sets!  ;) ;D   Dave

Octave

I wonder if anyone could suggest excellent recordings of some of Brahms' vocal works.  I received some counsel a few months ago regarding his lieder, and I've sampled some of the CPO series and Hyperion series of lieder.  I own Jessye Norman's 2cd of songs with Barenboim, and also a Gura/Berner disc with a little Brahms and some Schumannen. 

Sorta-separate question, more specific: I am looking for excellent recordings of the Schicksalslied and Vier Gesange, Op. 17.  Thanks as always for any help!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mandryka

I have a spotify playlist of Brahms songs which I like, which has

Julius Patzak  Regenlied, Nachtigallen  Schwingen

Leo Slezak Feldeinsamkeit.

Julia Culp, Muss es eine Trennung geben.

Karin Branzell,  Wanderer.

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf. Immer leiser wird mein Schlummer.

Ernestine Schumann-Heink  - Sapphische Ode. be sure to hear her little speach about he relationship with Brahms.

Emmi Leisner --  Vom Strande.

Lulu Mysz-Gmeiner, Schwesterlein.

Irmgard Seefried  Feinsliebchen

Alexander Kipnis,  Verrat.

Hina Spani  Alte Liebe, Sandmaennchen

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf - Liebestreu

Heinrich Rehkemper -- Nicht mehr zu dir zu gehen 

Karl Erb -- Lerchengesang

Lotte Lehmann -- Wir wandelten 

Ria Ginster -- Meine Liebe ist Grun, Botschaft

Kirsten Flagstad -- Meine Liebe ist Grun

Christa Ludwig -- Der Schmied

Elisabeth Schumann -- Der Tod, ist die kuhle Nacht 

Irmgard Seefried -- Standchen

Askel Schiotz -- Standchen

Gustav Walter -- Feldeinsamkeit. He sang for Brahms, who I believe liked his style.

Jessye Norman, Daniel Barenboim, Wolfram Christ -- Zwei Gesange

Janet Baker, Andre Previn, Cecil Aronowitz  -- Zwei Gesange

There are some whole CDs which may interest you -- The Thomas Allen recital disk with Parsons (really for Parsons), Fassbaender's Brahms CD, the Janet BAker CD on BBC Legends, Fischer Diekau's  Brahms recital CD with Klust, and FiDi's Brahms with Hermann Reutter
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

Quote from: Octave on April 15, 2013, 02:54:14 AM
I wonder if anyone could suggest excellent recordings of some of Brahms' vocal works.  I received some counsel a few months ago regarding his lieder, and I've sampled some of the CPO series and Hyperion series of lieder.  I own Jessye Norman's 2cd of songs with Barenboim, and also a Gura/Berner disc with a little Brahms and some Schumannen. 

Sorta-separate question, more specific: I am looking for excellent recordings of the Schicksalslied and Vier Gesange, Op. 17.  Thanks as always for any help!

oh, you have "Schoene Wiege"... well, that was going to be my primary recommendation. Just stay away from the Dieskau/Schwarzkopf Volkslieder, which are beyond the pale ghastly.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Octave on April 15, 2013, 02:54:14 AM

There's a nice recording of Schicksalsied from Blomstedt, which I have in its original release but has been reissued here:

[asin]B007F9ETJC[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Geo Dude

Good to see the Brahms thread alive and well.  Unfortunately it's going to cost me some money because it lead me to Manze's Brahms set and indirectly--through Amazon's related purchases field--to Minkowski's Schubert symphonies.  Oh well.