Releasing Tuesday May 15, 2007
Symphony no 1 in C minor, Op. 68 by Johannes Brahms
Egmont, Op. 84 by Ludwig van Beethoven
-   - - -

Release Date: 05/15/2007
Label:  Deutsche Grammophon   Catalog #: 000880002   
Orchestra:  Munich Symphony Orchestra
Conductor:  Christian Thielemann

I have that, although on my disc, the orchestra is not the Munich Symphony Orchestra (of which I have never heard, I have to admit), but the Münchner Philharmoniker. I wonder if it's the same recording. But I haven't listened to it yet.

Que

Does anyone have this recording of the cello sonatas?
I've seen rave reviews and based on sampling I got the impression that this is the first performance (on modern instruments) after Serkin/Rostropovich that really seems to "have it" - though it's quite different.

High quality sound clip
(If the clip stops, just refresh the page and you'll get another sample!)

Q

BachQ

Quote from: M forever on July 13, 2007, 08:54:21 AM
I have that, although on my disc, the orchestra is not the Munich Symphony Orchestra (of which I have never heard, I have to admit), but the Münchner Philharmoniker. I wonder if it's the same recording. But I haven't listened to it yet.

No.

Strangely, they have the same covers (everything, in fact, is identical), but they're not the same.

BachQ

Brahms songs releasing tomorrow:

And released this month:

Concert in Versailles

Beethoven
Concerto for piano and orchestra No.4 in G Major Op.58
Brahms
Concerto for violin and orchestra in D Major Op.77
Saint-Saëns
Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso for violin and orchestra in A Minor Op.28
Orchestra: The French Symphonic Orchestra
Conductor: Laurent Petitgirard
Soloists: Sung Sic Yang, violin, Kun Woo Paik, piano
Recorded at Trianon Palace, Versailles, France, September 1995

BachQ

Also noticed this:

Brahms Piano Concerto no. 1 in D Minor on DVD (Barenboim)
(also Bruch VC with Zukerman & Ravel's La Valse)

Bonehelm

Thanks very much for the YouTube links, D. That very first flourish of the entire concerto was so brilliantly layed out.

BachQ

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 20, 2007, 04:22:18 AM
Thanks very much for the YouTube links, D. That very first flourish of the entire concerto was so brilliantly layed out.

Yes ........ I adore that opening .........

BachQ

"The god of my own youthful adoration was Brahms, and I wrote flagrantly in the manner of the immortal Johannes"

--Georges Enescu, born yesterday (August 19) in 1881

BachQ

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 20, 2007, 04:22:18 AM

(PS ....... That opening is in D Minor  :D)

Bonehelm

Quote from: D Minor on August 21, 2007, 04:01:31 AM
(PS ....... That opening is in D Minor  :D)

No wonder you keep recommending it.  :D

BachQ

Speaking of Brahms' D Minor piano concerto ........ has anyone heard or read about (directly or indirectly), or knows of anyone who's heard about or read about (directly or indirectly) this performance by Géza Anda (w/Jochum) on Tahra label?

"We have paid a tribute to this pianist that Furtwängler called the troubadour of the piano, with two unissued recordings: the 21st Mozart concerto recorded in Canada with the great Czech conducter Karl Ancerl and the 1st Brahms concerto recorded during a public concert given in Amsterdam with the Concertgebouw and Eugen Jochum. To date it is the only known document with Anda playing this work."

Individual Track Details: 

1.  Concerto for Piano no 20 in D minor, K 466 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Performer:  Géza Anda (Piano)

2.  Concerto for Piano no 1 in D minor, Op. 15 by Johannes Brahms
Performer:  Géza Anda (Piano)

W.A. Mozart : Piano concerto No. 21, KV 467 (Toronto SO, Karel Ancerl - Live 4.III.1970) - J. Brahms : Piano concerto No. 1 op. 15 (Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam - Eugen Jochum - Live 1.IV.1967 - "Geza Anda appears by courtesy of Deutsche Grammophon GmbH Hamburg" (Not for sale in the USA and in Canada)

Scott

Just back from a concert comprising the two Brahms String Sextets, Opp. 18 & 36,  played by faculty members from Middlebury College and Dartmouth, and I'm still floating on air (if a guy my size can be said to float!). It truly exceeded my expectations. I'd never been to a chamber concert by local faculty before, but I was mightily impressed. In fact, the only one of the players I'd ever heard before -- being new here -- was cellist Dieuwvke Davydov, who I knew was good. (She studied with Leonard Rose.)

I was most impressed with violist Paul Reynolds who plays a huge viola that has a gorgeous huge rich tone which he was able to fine down when needed but bring out in the many solo viola lines in both sextets.

It was nice that the first chairs exchanged seats with the second chairs for the Op. 36 Sextet. The second first cello (if you're not confused by that designation) was equally good, a fellow named John Dunlop who is principal cello in the Vermont Symphony and teaches at Dartmouth.

God, I love these sextets. I'd go back and hear them again right now!
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

BachQ

Quote from: Scott on September 23, 2007, 08:20:13 AM
Just back from a concert comprising the two Brahms String Sextets, Opp. 18 & 36,  played by faculty members from Middlebury College and Dartmouth, and I'm still floating on air

What a great concert!  0:) Thanks for sharing ........  8)

Quote from: Scott on September 23, 2007, 08:20:13 AM
God, I love these sextets. I'd go back and hear them again right now!

Yes, the sextets are priceless gems ....... and overlooked by many, many listeners and musicians  :'( ........

BachQ

Quote from: hornteacher on April 07, 2007, 08:18:11 AM
Okay I'm going to fly my "geek flag" here but the Brahms Sextet was used in a Next Generation episode called "Sarek" in which the Vulcan cries at a ship concert.  There are two excerpts during the scene, one from the 1st mvt of Mozart's Dissonance SQ, and the other from the 2nd mvt of the Brahms.  Its a rather good scene and it actually has no dialogue for about two minutes while the music is playing.

Yes, the slow movement of Brahms op. 16 sextet is breathtaking, and its beauty is otherworldly.

In fact, it's ravishing enough to make even a Vulcan cry:

http://www.youtube.com/v/_YynPPWpfsg

Florestan

Quote from: D Minor on September 24, 2007, 02:17:21 PM
Yes, the slow movement of  Brahms op. 16 sextet is breathtaking, and its beauty is otherworldly.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

BachQ

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2007, 11:20:38 PM
Yes, the slow movement of   Brahms op. 16 sextet is breathtaking, and its beauty is otherworldly.

Well, the slow movement is singularly captivating .........

BachQ

Countdown 7 DAYS until the release of a truly magical DVD on DG ........

Bonehelm

Quote from: D Minor on October 02, 2007, 04:08:37 PM
Countdown 7 DAYS until the release of a truly magical DVD on DG ........

It being?