Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 03:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 15, 2013, 05:23:46 PM
There's a nice recording of Schicksalsied from Blomstedt, which I have in its original release but has been reissued here:

[asin]B007F9ETJC[/asin]

BTW (and speaking as one who has sung at least two of them), the Brahms Motets are exquisite.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Octave

Thanks Mandryka and DD for the tips!  I will check out some of these.  Any further advice on Schicksalslied recordings in particular would be appreciated, though I am inclined to try the Blomstedt recommended above; never heard his Brahms.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on April 17, 2013, 04:30:45 AM
BTW (and speaking as one who has sung at least two of them), the Brahms Motets are exquisite.

Thanks for the tip, Karl. Haven't heard these yet. Got 'em wish-listed.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Octave

Does any one recording of Brahms' organ works clearly stand superior to the others?  I did some keyword searching found very little discussion of the available performances.  The works always seem to fit on one single disc; I've been listening to little bits of Robert Parkins (Naxos) and Kevin Bowyer (Nimbus), shorter) disc on MD&G (Rudolf Innig) and perhaps a few others just off the cuff.

Mandryka

Quote from: Octave on April 21, 2013, 10:20:48 PM
Does any one recording of Brahms' organ works clearly stand superior to the others?  I did some keyword searching found very little discussion of the available performances.  The works always seem to fit on one single disc; I've been listening to little bits of Robert Parkins (Naxos) and Kevin Bowyer (Nimbus), shorter) disc on MD&G (Rudolf Innig) and perhaps a few others just off the cuff.

One recording of Op 122 which I thought was really astonishing was by Jacques van Oortmerssen. There's also a selection played by Lena Jacobson on a compilation record of music played on old Swedish organs. In the past I've enjoyed Virgil Fox's performance, but now I think Oortmerssen is more interesting.

There's a thread on this somewhere, I remember it wasn't very satisfactory, not many peole seem to be interested
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Quote from: Octave on April 21, 2013, 10:20:48 PM

I am not certain if they figure very importantly in Brahms' oeuvre.  Most are without opus numbers (probably indicating his intention to not include them in his catalog) and the chorale preludes, op. 122, were published posthumously.

In any event, they are probably worth hearing at least once, and I have heard the CPO recording by Anne Horsch.

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on April 24, 2013, 08:57:10 AM
I am not certain if they figure very importantly in Brahms' oeuvre.  Most are without opus numbers (probably indicating his intention to not include them in his catalog) and the chorale preludes, op. 122, were published posthumously.

In any event, they are probably worth hearing at least once, and I have heard the CPO recording by Anne Horsch.

I've never heard the Woo organ pieces, in fact I don't think I've heard any of Brahms's WoO. I have it at the back of my mnd to hear the Missa Canonica sometime. Is it any good?

Re Op 122, this is pukkah Brahms isn't it?  I mean, he intended publication didn't he? For me they are a summit of 19th century organ music, which is an area I know next to nothing about  ;)

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on April 24, 2013, 09:07:39 AM
I've never heard the Woo organ pieces, in fact I don't think I've heard any of Brahms's WoO. I have it at the back of my mnd to hear the Missa Canonica sometime. Is it any good?

Re Op 122, this is pukkah Brahms isn't it?  I mean, he intended publication didn't he? For me they are a summit of 19th century organ music, which is an area I know next to nothing about  ;)

They are masterpieces of contrapuntal writing, but from what I have read, my sense is that Brahms wrote them for his own enjoyment, and did not intend them for public consumption beyond when he played the organ at his local church.  He seemed to treat them as exercises, granted of a very high order, and what he did (I guess to clear his head) between writing his other works.  (Let me append this by saying that the chorale preludes were his last works to be written, in the last year of his life.)

As I said they are well worth hearing.

Mandryka

That reminds me of the Paganini Variations, which I think he saw as just studies leading to the second piano concerto. I think he  only published them reluctantly after Joachim and the Schumanns turned on the pressure.

Geo Dude

Any suggestions on a PI or HIP-influenced recording of the two string quintets?  I've tried the Verdi Quartett recordings which pair the sextets with the quintets (well, the first one) but the abuse of vibrato leaves me feeling snowed under.

Mandryka

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 02, 2013, 02:21:30 PM
Any suggestions on a PI or HIP-influenced recording of the two string quintets?  I've tried the Verdi Quartett recordings which pair the sextets with the quintets (well, the first one) but the abuse of vibrato leaves me feeling snowed under.

Hagen quartet+ Caussè, there's not much vibrato there. My oen favourite is the Amati quartet + Rybin.

Octave

Late thanks SA and Mandryka for the Brahms/organ discussion.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Geo Dude

Any thoughts on this recording, anyone?

kyjo

I'll resurrect this thread on account of members disagreeing about Brahms in the recent poll.....

I can't really say Brahms is one of my favorite composers. I'm apathetic to a lot of his music, finding it rather boring though I admire its craftsmanship. Most of the chamber and piano works, as well as Ein Deutsches Requiem.....zzzzzzzz. That said, there are works which I enjoy, including most of the orchestral works. I really like some individual movements in Brahms' works, mainly the catchy finale of the VC, the first movement of the Double Concerto (with its soaring secondary theme), the energetic scherzos of the Piano Quintet and Symphony no. 4, and the touchingly melancholy third movement of Symphony no. 3. There's just something in a lot of Brahms' music I don't quite connect with. :)

TheGSMoeller

Try connecting with these chamber works...

Piano Quartet no. 3, op. 60
String Quintet in G major, op. 111
Horn Trio, op. 40

I really believe if you enjoy Brahms symphonies then you can find much of the same beauty and energy in the chamber works. Give them a try.  :)

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2013, 08:53:44 AM
Try connecting with these chamber works...

Piano Quartet no. 3, op. 60
String Quintet in G major, op. 111
Horn Trio, op. 40

I really believe if you enjoy Brahms symphonies then you can find much of the same beauty and energy in the chamber works. Give them a try.  :)

Thanks, Greg. :) I'll admit I've never given Brahms' chamber works a fair chance. I have a certain liking for the Piano Quintet and the two String Sextets so far. Needless to say, I really dig Atterberg's orchestration of the String Sextet no. 2 (available on BIS). 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 09:04:39 AM
Thanks, Greg. :) I'll admit I've never given Brahms' chamber works a fair chance. I have a certain liking for the Piano Quintet and the two String Sextets so far. Needless to say, I really dig Atterberg's orchestration of the String Sextet no. 2 (available on BIS). 8)

You're welcome, kyjo! And I'll need to checkout that Atterberg orchestration too.

A fair chance is all one could ask for, and if you're not satisfied you could start a thread about how Brahms' chamber music sucks.  ;D  :)

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2013, 09:08:17 AM
A fair chance is all one could ask for, and if you're not satisfied you could start a thread about how Brahms' chamber music sucks.  ;D  :)

Even if I did think Brahms' chamber music sucks, I have enough wisdom to keep me from starting such a inflammatory thread! :laugh:

mc ukrneal

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 09:04:39 AM
I would try the first piano trio for chamber works. The first time I heard it, I just had to stop everything and listen to the end. It is very moving music.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!