Howard Hanson (1896-1981)

Started by vandermolen, April 10, 2008, 12:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 16, 2017, 05:54:38 AM
I'm generally not a huge fan of historical recordings (due to sound quality), but I'd love to hear this. Unfortunately, it's OOP on Amazon and unavailable on YouTube and Spotify :( Do you know Hanson's own recording of his 3rd on Mercury? I haven't heard it yet myself.
The Dutton release of the Koussevitsky version of Symphony 3 was wonderful as it had been re-mastered more effectively than earlier incarnations. Sadly it was ridiculously priced on Amazon when I last looked. Maybe I should sell my version for £1000,000 and retire to the Seychelles!  8)

I have all of Hanson's Mercury recordings and agree with John about their excellence. For some reason Hanson's fine (IMHO) version of Symphony 4 'Requiem' was never given an official CD release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 15, 2017, 01:12:45 PM
I was reading through this thread and came across comments which stated that while Schwarz's Hanson cycle is beautifully played and recorded, it lacks forward motion and a sense of architecture that is so vital to Hanson's music - I totally agree. Schwarz captures Hanson's lush, Romantic side very well - which is great - but rather misses out on the elemental, Sibelian power of his music. I compared the Schwarz and Kunzel (Telarc) recordings of the 2nd Symphony and the differences are readily apparent. Kunzel gives a sweeping, dramatic performance that never loses sight of the work's romantic essence, while Schwarz seems rather lethargic and over-indulgent by comparison.

So, in summary, Schwarz's Hanson cycle is certainly a great achievement, but should not be considered the last word on these works. There's more substance to be found under the surface of Hanson's lushly orchestrated, melodic music than Schwarz uncovers IMO. It's high time someone records a new Hanson cycle, but I'm not betting on it anytime soon. Then again, we have two Atterberg cycles, so all hope is not lost ;D If only Bernstein would've taken interest in Hanson's music...

P.S. We even more desperately need a complete cycle of Diamond's symphonies! It's a real pity that Schwarz and Naxos seem to have abandoned their Diamond series. A new Piston cycle would sure be nice, too!
I must revisit the Kunzel CD - it is really good and features the only recording of the entirely characteristic 'Bold Island Suite'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Thanks for the feedback, John and Jeffrey. I'll be sure to investigate Hanson's Mercury recordings of his own music (I've already heard his recording of the 2nd Symphony). A shame that his recording of the 4th isn't available on CD, and I guess he never got around to recording his final three symphonies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 16, 2017, 07:45:52 AM
I must revisit the Kunzel CD - it is really good and features the only recording of the entirely characteristic 'Bold Island Suite'.

It's a fantastic CD, Jeffrey - probably the best Hanson CD out there and an ideal introduction to the composer. Kunzel's recording of the 2nd Symphony is the finest I know. The couplings are great too - I love the Merry Mount Suite with its dark opening that sounds like Tchaikovsky on steroids and its ultra-passionate Love Duet. The Bold Island Suite may generally lack the broad, sweeping melodies I normally associate with Hanson, but is an atmospheric and enjoyable work all the same. It's a real pity Kunzel didn't record more Hanson...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 16, 2017, 08:52:58 AM
It's a fantastic CD, Jeffrey - probably the best Hanson CD out there and an ideal introduction to the composer. Kunzel's recording of the 2nd Symphony is the finest I know. The couplings are great too - I love the Merry Mount Suite with its dark opening that sounds like Tchaikovsky on steroids and its ultra-passionate Love Duet. The Bold Island Suite may generally lack the broad, sweeping melodies I normally associate with Hanson, but is an atmospheric and enjoyable work all the same. It's a real pity Kunzel didn't record more Hanson...
Totally agree with you Kyle. I did manage to track down a CD copy of Hanson conducting his Fourth Symphony although this was from an unofficial private company which no longer seems to exist.

kyjo

According to the formerly-active Colin (Dundonnell's) catalogue of Hanson's orchestral music, there are a number of orchestral and choral/orchestral works of his which remain unrecorded that I'd very much like to hear:

1916: Symphonic Prelude for orchestra, op.6
1917: Symphonic Legend for orchestra, op.8
1919: Symphonic Rhapsody for orchestra, op.14
          Prelude and Ballet "The Forest Play", op.16
1920: Symphonic Poem "Before the Dawn", op.17
          Symphonic Poem "Exaltation" with piano obbligato, op.20
1923: Symphonic Poem "North and West", op.22
1927: "Heroic Elegy" for chorus and orchestra, op.28
1935: Songs from "Drum Taps" for baritone, chorus and orchestra, op.32
1949: The Cherubic Hymn for chorus and orchestra, op. 37
1953: "How Excellent Thy Name" for chorus and orchestra
1963: Song of Human Rights for chorus and orchestra, op.49
1965: Psalm 150 "Praise Ye The Lord" for chorus and orchestra
1968: Psalm CXXI for baritone, chorus and orchestra
1969: "Streams in the Desert" for chorus and orchestra
1976: Oratorio "New Land, New Covenant" for soprano, bass, narrator, chorus and orchestra

kyjo

Was just listening to Hanson's early tone poem Pan and Priest from the Nashville SO/Schermerhorn recording on Naxos and enjoyed it greatly. It's an atmospheric (if rather episodic) piece that contains effective use of the orchestral piano. I detected the influence of Respighi in places.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2017, 01:37:48 PM
Was just listening to Hanson's early tone poem Pan and Priest from the Nashville SO/Schermerhorn recording on Naxos and enjoyed it greatly. It's an atmospheric (if rather episodic) piece that contains effective use of the orchestral piano. I detected the influence of Respighi in places.
Delighted the you enjoyed it Kyle. Yes, that is one of the great Hanson CDs. A pity that Kenneth Schemerhorn did not record more Hanson.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

From WAYLT thread:
Howard Hanson: Symphony No.4, 'Requiem'
I have now played this through three times in a row. IMO this is the most deeply felt and by far the best recorded version of this work. It is quite fast and more sibelian in the opening movement. However, by avoiding sentimentality (the symphony is in memory of Hanson's father) it is, paradoxically, more affecting. Much as I appreciated the accompanying works by Piston and Morton Gould I wish that this had been an all Hanson CD:

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Looks like an interesting disc. I see the Piston 7th Symphony is on it. I don't know it, but I'm not aware of another commercial recording. This in itself should justify the disc.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

I keep coming across those Delos Hanson CDs with Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony, at used record and book stores throughout the city. I wonder whether or not his music is something that I would enjoy. Maybe a fan can help me, what are some of the values that draw you to Howard Hanson's music? It seems he is a quite unique, if conservative, composer.

Daverz

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 16, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
Looks like an interesting disc. I see the Piston 7th Symphony is on it. I don't know it, but I'm not aware of another commercial recording. This in itself should justify the disc.

It was recorded by the Louisville Orchestra:

https://www.amazon.com/Piston-Symphonies-Nos-Walter/dp/B0000049KT

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 16, 2020, 01:57:28 PM
I keep coming across those Delos Hanson CDs with Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony, at used record and book stores throughout the city. I wonder whether or not his music is something that I would enjoy. Maybe a fan can help me, what are some of the values that draw you to Howard Hanson's music? It seems he is a quite unique, if conservative, composer.

His Symphony No. 1 "Nordic" might be the best place to start. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on March 16, 2020, 02:06:12 PM
His Symphony No. 1 "Nordic" might be the best place to start.

Yes that's a fine one I agree. I especially like No.3, 4 and 5. The music may well appear to admirers of Sibelius but there is a warm-hearted American quality to much of it which I find very appealing. If you've watched the film 'Alien' an extract from Hanson's Second Symphony 'Romantic' features at the end of the film.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 16, 2020, 01:57:28 PM

See above for suggestions. The music is quite conservative in a way and maybe for me that is part of its appeal. It also has a Nordic, warm-hearted 'open-spaces' feel to it. I hope that you get to explore and enjoy some more of Hanson's music. The 'Lament for Beowulf' and 'Dies Natalis' are two non-symphonic works which appeal to me but symphonies 1-4 would be a good place to start.

This is a nice CD which also features 'Dies Natalis':

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 16, 2020, 11:08:08 PM
See above for suggestions. The music is quite conservative in a way and maybe for me that is part of its appeal. It also has a Nordic, warm-hearted 'open-spaces' feel to it. I hope that you get to explore and enjoy some more of Hanson's music. The 'Lament for Beowulf' and 'Dies Natalis' are two non-symphonic works which appeal to me but symphonies 1-4 would be a good place to start.

This is a nice CD which also features 'Dies Natalis':

I enjoy Hanson's music a lot.  Possibly "The Romantic" Symphony (No.2) is a good place to start.  It does what is says on the tin - big warm-hearted gestures superbly executed.  My introduction to this work was an RCA recording of the National PO with Charles Gerhardt - well suited to this piece given their triumphs in the "Classic Film Scores" series;

this is a good bravura performance too......

(the whole opera Merry Mount is very powerful)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 17, 2020, 10:47:21 AM
I enjoy Hanson's music a lot.  Possibly "The Romantic" Symphony (No.2) is a good place to start.  It does what is says on the tin - big warm-hearted gestures superbly executed.  My introduction to this work was an RCA recording of the National PO with Charles Gerhardt - well suited to this piece given their triumphs in the "Classic Film Scores" series;

this is a good bravura performance too......

(the whole opera Merry Mount is very powerful)
As is the Bold Island Suite in its only recording. Those are two fine discs.

Symphonic Addict

Maybe the Hanson could not be the most relevant work in the work if we have into account its length: less than 7 minutes, However, Before the dawn, Op. 17 is a magnificent marvelous miniature of a piece. It's Hanson at the height of his late-Romantic and heroic powers.

The content of the cd is appealing and different, quite so from certain record labels.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky