Some help with these cds, please

Started by 12tone., April 12, 2008, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

So among some cds I got today, here are some I was concerned about. 

Thoughts?

And the other one I got was the Mozart string quartets by the Amadeus Quartet.  I have the 'blue box'...I guess the original?  NOT the box with the spiral staircase.

Okay recordings?

Kullervo

Quote from: 12tone. on April 12, 2008, 04:21:57 PM

Thoughts?

And the other one I got was the Mozart string quartets by the Amadeus Quartet.  I have the 'blue box'...I guess the original?  NOT the box with the spiral staircase.

Okay recordings?

You've already paid for them, so what will you do if we tell you they're awful? :D  >:D

12tone.

Then at least I'll know.  Are they bad recordings?

Kullervo

Quote from: 12tone. on April 12, 2008, 05:31:43 PM

As it's the Amadeus Quartet, and Kleiber with the WP, I seriously doubt it — but I haven't heard them so ignore me. :D

Gurn Blanston

Dude, why don't you listen to them and tell US? Even if I say I like the hell out of them both, it doesn't mean YOU will. I can tell you that they are good music though. It would be very surprising if they had been released a dozen times, at least, if they sucked eggs. (The Amadeus do a very nice Mozart, IMO). :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Dvorak B 015 - Russian PO / Yablonski - Dvorak Interludes for Small Orchestra Op B15 #3
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

BachQ

Quote from: 12tone. on April 12, 2008, 04:21:57 PM

Thoughts?

Okay recordings?

.......... perhaps a better strategy would be to solicit our advice BEFORE you purchase them .......

springrite

Do not trust your own ears?

For my money, the Kleiber is great and the Amadeus is good. I hope you put no value to what I say though. If you listen to other people's opinion, do it beforehand. After you have the CDs, pay no attention to other people's opinion. That is my policy anyway.

eyeresist

Quote from: 12tone. on April 12, 2008, 05:31:43 PM
Listen to them yourself! Don't let the opinions of others determine what you enjoy. We can (and do) enjoy criticising performances we think are unworthy, but it must ultimately be a matter of taste - otherwise our record collections would be identical! But if you want to argue your own tastes with others, you should examine the music and your reactions to determine why you like or dislike it, rather than condemning or praising out-of-hand.

I'm not usually so preachy....