Nielsen Symphonies

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Any good recommendations?

has anyone heard this Brilliant box?

Would it be a good way of acquiring them all in one go?
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

The new erato

I'd rather buy the new 7 CD EMI box available for 15 GBP. Includes Blomstedts first cycle, Andsnes' piano music, all the concertoes, his major (and important) choral works and assorted odds and ends.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: erato on April 13, 2008, 05:44:59 AM
I'd rather buy the new 7 CD EMI box available for 15 GBP. Includes Blomstedts first cycle, Andsnes' piano music, all the concertoes, his major (and important) choral works and assorted odds and ends.

You're right. That does look like a more tempting proposition.

Kullervo

Is this available yet?

Symphonien

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Yes, I have and I thought it was very well played, with great sound too. I have never heard anything by the Janacek Philharmonic before, but they seem to be a more than capable ensemble. It got me into Nielsen's symphonies, especially the last three.

Unfortunately, I have no other recordings to compare it to, but I have heard that Blomstedt's later SFSO cycle is supposed to be very good as well.

The new erato

I like the later Blomstedt cycle as well, and with Schonwandts well received symphonies under release on Chandos, as well as Schmidts cycle on Regis, we are relly spoilt for choice on budget price. Still I think the new EMI very interesting as it contains major recordings of other stuff, Tellefsen in the violin concerto, Andsnes, and some pathbreaking recordings of Hymnus Amoris and The Sleep, major works that not everybody know (as they should).

Harry

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM
Any good recommendations?

Would it be a good way of acquiring them all in one go?

These are very good performances, and in some cases the reviews are most excelent. I have this set and am very satisfied with it.

Harry

Quote from: erato on April 13, 2008, 07:31:23 AM
I like the later Blomstedt cycle as well, and with Schonwandts well received symphonies under release on Chandos, as well as Schmidts cycle on Regis, we are relly spoilt for choice on budget price. Still I think the new EMI very interesting as it contains major recordings of other stuff, Tellefsen in the violin concerto, Andsnes, and some pathbreaking recordings of Hymnus Amoris and The Sleep, major works that not everybody know (as they should).

Final question, are there translated libretti, for the vocal things in this box? ;D

The new erato

I would be surprised if there was.  But since it's released tomorrow, inquiring minds will soon know!

not edward

The EMI 7-disc box looks a no-brainer to me: if I didn't have half of it already I'd snap it up myself.

Andsnes' performances of the piano works are absolutely sensational and worth the price of the entire set (just a pity he didn't include the Theme and Variations, the one major piano work excluded). The concerti and shorter pieces are for the most part fine--I recall Karl having some issues with the clarinet playing in the concerto--but Blomstedt is always a good Nielsen conductor and he's to my knowledge never re-recorded these works. I've not heard his earlier symphony cycle but by the standards of the contemporary concerto disc and his later digital symphony cycle, I find it hard to believe these performances will be anything but satisfactory. Plus with the wonderful Wind Quintet thrown in, along with Søvnen (IMO Nielsen's first great masterpiece), this is pretty much the perfect Nielsen starter kit.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

The new erato

Add the 2 operas and you have the essential Nielsen. What I've heard of the chamber music hasn't convinced me it's essential. Plus perhaps the Commotio for organ.

vandermolen

I have several Nielsen boxes, the Brilliant one and the early Blomstedt EMI recordings which has been around for a while in the UK as well as the Rozhdestvensky set on Chandos and the Bernstein/Ormandy Sony box (and no money ;D).

At the moment I am very keen on the Blomstedt box which is very strong, especially in the later symphonies (4-6) which are the ones I listen to. Nothing wrong with the Brilliant box but prob. the best bargain one is the Ole Schmidt one on Regis.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: Corey on April 13, 2008, 06:51:08 AM
Is this available yet?

Amazon.co.uk does not have it listed (why not?)
Amazon.com has it (released April 15) and it's $57.99+shipping, not £15.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on April 13, 2008, 10:06:20 AM

£18 on mdt.co.uk, my £15 was the ex VAT price.

Bunny

I'm not a fan of Blomstedt's first Nielsen cycle.  The second cycle with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra is far better; and they are available both used, and new in 2 cd sets at Amazon for very reasonable (even cheap) prices.

For Nielsen's (non-symphonic) orchestral music, try Thomas Dausgaard's recording which is outstanding.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: 71 dB on April 13, 2008, 10:06:20 AM

Found it on amazon.co.uk, and slightly cheaper than MDT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collectors-Nielsen/dp/B00151HZ3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1208112763&sr=8-1

alkan

I got the Brilliant box because of various good reviews and its cheapness.    However, I am very disappointed by it and I rarely listen to it now.       I think the main reason lies with the conductor (Kuchar).       There are many passages where the orchestra just seems to be playing the notes ..... no shaping of the phrases, no sweep and natural flow to the music  .....       I found the 4th and 5th symphonies to be badly affected by this.       The 3rd is the best of the bunch (revealing some incredible details in the brass section, eg the waltz in the 1st mvmt).   

My all-time favourite recordings are by Ole Schmidt and the LSO ..... every symphony receives a magnificent, vivid and atmospheric performance and the sound is excellent.    Unfortunately I can't comment on Blomstedt since I have yet to hear this set.       For individual performances I also like Bernstein in the 3rd and Horenstein in the 5th  (the side-drummer in the 1st mvmt!!).
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

FredT

The Kuchar is probably quite serviceable since he is a good conductor who has made a specialty of working with East European orchestras and knows their capabilities well. However, let's not forget that the Janacek orchestra is not front rank and that there is probably no strong Nielsen tradition in Brno. I'll wager that the orchestral players might've been seeing much of the music for the firsttime too. On top of that, it's not easy stuff by any meansand Nielsen requires a certain level of virtuosity for maximum effect.

Blomstedt's series out of San Francisco is justly famous. A great orchestra with a conductor who probably knows ad loves the 6 second to none.

Mr. Darcy

Can't speak to the Kuchar, but I do have the Schonwandt and Blomstedt (w/SFSO). Both are excellent.

And, I just noticed this (to be released 4/29/2008):

http://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Symphonies-Nos-1-6-Schonwandt/dp/B0015DM3D8/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1208210557&sr=8-.

It appears as though Naxos is going to be releasing the Shonwandt cycle. As far as I can tell, it's the same recording as on Dacapo.