Nielsen Symphonies

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Mr. Darcy on April 14, 2008, 02:18:26 PM\
It appears as though Naxos is going to be releasing the Shonwandy cycle. As far as I can tell, it's the same recording as on Dacapo.
Yep, checked Naxos' site, it's rereleases. :)

Tsaraslondon

Thanks for all the replies. Must say that I'm now somewhat tempted by the Regis set, conducted by Ole Schmidt. I'd forgotten that I had a couple of LPs from that cycle years ago, and thought they were pretty good. As they were on the Unicorn-Kanchana label, which I assume is now defunct, I thought they were no longer available. Pleased to see they're still out there.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Holden

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2008, 10:53:01 AM
I'm not a fan of Blomstedt's first Nielsen cycle.  The second cycle with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra is far better; and they are available both used, and new in 2 cd sets at Amazon for very reasonable (even cheap) prices.

For Nielsen's (non-symphonic) orchestral music, try Thomas Dausgaard's recording which is outstanding.

My local library has all three of these CDs - guess where I'm going tomorrow!
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

Yes, Horenstein's manic side-drummer in Symphony 5 is the best I know. There was also a very good Kubelik recording on EMI (Danish RSO I think).

My EMI Blomstedt box (earlier series) just has the symphonies and two short works. It is not the same as the new one shown above. I think that Rozhdestvensky's No 5 is excellent (No 1 choice in BBC best 1000 CD guide).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

What do people think of the Bryden Thomson set on Chandos?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

not edward

Quote from: Guido on April 23, 2008, 07:52:50 AM
What do people think of the Bryden Thomson set on Chandos?
I've only heard the 4th (underpowered and uncompetitive) and 6th (extremely fine, absolutely nails the spirit of the work).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

eyeresist

I haven't really "got" Nielsen so far. I heard Mehta's 4th, and also Segerstam (BBC Music cover DVD), and I think I had a Naxos disc of 1 and 6 years ago.
But since Robert Simpson liked him I may give it another go. Schmidt is top of my list so far - it was with his Sibelius 5 with the RPO that I first "got" that composer.

mr_espansiva

I have multiple copies of all the symphonies and I would say that to get the best of Nielsen it is probably best to buy separate discs. My favourite cycle is undoubtedly the Blomstedt on Decca, but I wouldn't want to be without Kubelik (5), Schmidt (3), Karajan (4), Thomson (6). The Thomson cycle is really very good, and I agree that 4 isn't the highlight, but it is certainly among his best recordings.

I have the Kuchar and they are pretty good, but not top drawer (IMHO). I haven't heard the Schonwandt cycle yet but that has good reviews.

If you are on a budget though, and must have a cycle, I would put Blomstedt (decca) and Schmidt at the top of the pile, the former having exceptionally fine recording.
Espansiva - the Inextinguishable desire for chocolate.

kristopaivinen

The fifth is hard to get right, and I've heard Osmo Vänskä mess it up, especially in the part where the percussion is improvised. Sarastre beats everyone I've heard and even Blomstedt in that one.

The new erato

Anybody know the (in)famous Horenstein 5th?

Omicron9

Greetings,

Reviving this 10-year old thread.  There have been more Nielsen cycles released since this thread; what are your preferred complete cycles in 2018 and why?

TIA,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Karl Henning

Not sure which fact surprises me more:  that this thread has lain dormant for so long, or . . . that I never piped in.

Quote from: Mr. Darcy on April 14, 2008, 02:18:26 PM
Can't speak to the Kuchar, but I do have the Schonwandt and Blomstedt (w/SFSO). Both are excellent.

None (that I know) is perfect (what cycle is?), but I too endorse the Schønwandt, Blomstedt/SFSO and Thomson cycles.  My answer may not be the most pertinent, since I have not heard the most recent cycles.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Biffo

Quote from: The new erato on April 27, 2008, 12:45:50 PM
Anybody know the (in)famous Horenstein 5th?

Not sure what might be 'infamous' about it, I have always found it to be magnificent and still my favourite version.

2015 brought a flood of issues and reissues for the 150th anniversary. I bought too many symphony cycles to digest in a short space of time but my recollections are  as follows -

Finally got round to buying the Ole Schmidt cycle with the LSO, when it was first issued on LP it was in competition with Blomstedt and I went for the latter. Blomstedt is good but in retrospect I wish I had gone for Schmidt, his cycle is wonderful.

Paavo Jarvi and the Frankfurt Radio Symphony - I liked this cycle a lot more than some others who posted on it.

Paavo Berglund and the Royal Danish Orchestra - another wonderful cycle

Theodore Kuchar and the Janacek Philharmonic Orchestra - bargain of the year (or any year) - a magnificent cycle, totally unexpected

John Storgards and the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra - not bad but left trailing by the distinguished competition

Biffo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2018, 05:32:53 AM
Not sure which fact surprises me more:  that this thread has lain dormant for so long, or . . . that I never piped in.

None (that I know) is perfect (what cycle is?), but I too endorse the Schønwandt, Blomstedt/SFSO and Thomson cycles.  My answer may not be the most pertinent, since I have not heard the most recent cycles.

This happend while I was typing! I don't know Thomson or Blomstedt's SFSO cycle, mine is with Danish National Radio SO. Schonwandt was my go to cycle (way ahead of N Jarvi) until the flood of new purchases.

Omicron9

This is just one more reason I dig this forum; thank you all so much for the quick, informative, and interesting responses.  A complete Nielsen box is at or near the top of my shopping list; just need to figure out which one.  This is all truly helpful and massively appreciated.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Tsaraslondon

10 years ago several members recommended the Schmidt cycle on Regis.

Well I did buy it eventually, and I must say I think it's excellent, especially at the bargain Regis price.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Biffo on October 04, 2018, 05:38:11 AM
Finally got round to buying the Ole Schmidt cycle with the LSO[...]his cycle is wonderful.
Theodore Kuchar and the Janacek Philharmonic Orchestra - bargain of the year (or any year) - a magnificent cycle, totally unexpected

Those are my top choices, with Bernstein/Ormandy and Rozhdestvensky (broad and powerful) runners-up. However, Oramo among the more recent cycles is worth looking at. His Espansiva is sensational with great brass detail. (Haven't heard 2, 4, 5 or 6 but they were given top scores by ClassicsToday.)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

PerfectWagnerite

You can get Gilbert/NYPO for under 10 bucks which seems like a typographical error - from Amazon US.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

It seems like every time I listen to Nielsen I like it, but I think "there must be a better recording out there." Maybe I should listen to Rozhdestvensky, which I have but haven't gotten to.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 04, 2018, 08:16:03 AM
It seems like every time I listen to Nielsen I like it, but I think "there must be a better recording out there."

FWIW . . . the first time I tried the symphonies, I did not connect with them, at all.  10 years or so later, I lapped them up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot